dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Here is some interesting facts about our as some people claim on here a top 3 wr corp.

For one thing, the wide receivers as a whole dropped 24 of 359 targeted passes, a drop rate of 6.69% that was the worst in Green Bay since 2002.

For another, the Packers crashed from first to 14th in yards gained after the catch, according to STATS Inc. Primarily that was because the four veteran wide receivers all fell off in an area that always has been critical to the success of the West Coast offense.

Everyone came in for their share of the blame.

For all his breath-taking ability to make huge plays, Jennings (860 snaps) faded in the second half by dropping six passes in the last five games.

Driver (816) did flourish down the stretch but also saw overall declines in his drop rate and yards-after-catch average.

Nelson (494) was the Packers' most productive rookie. Still, he wasn't a difficult receiver to cover.

We better have good wrs for all the money and draft picks used on them, hell people made fun of the Lions and them drafting wrs. Well look at all of them Ted Thompson has drafted.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/51639017.html 
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Wow......they were not perfect last year. That means they automatically will SUCK, right?
But someone else on a different team sucked last year, and HE is GOD!
Nice balance.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
This is getting annoying.

Lions
2nd Charles Rogers WR
7th Roy Williams WR
10th Mike Williams WR
2nd Calvin Johnson WR

Packers
36th Jordy Nelson WR
78th James Jones WR
52nd Greg Jennings WR
58th Terrence Murphy WR

Yeah that's almost comparable there. Packers zero first round WR selections since Ted took over in '05. Lions have had FOUR top TEN over all selections at WR since '03.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Some just look to try to make up SOMETHING to try to give reasons for their hatred of TT.
But we have come to expect that, haven't we?
UserPostedImage
dhazer
  • dhazer
14 years ago

Lions
2nd Charles Rogers WR
7th Roy Williams WR
10th Mike Williams WR
2nd Calvin Johnson WR

Packers
36th Jordy Nelson WR
78th James Jones WR
52nd Greg Jennings WR
58th Terrence Murphy WR

Yeah that's almost comparable there. Packers zero first round WR selections since Ted took over in '05. Lions have had FOUR top TEN over all selections at WR since '03.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson are worthy of top 10 picks, I was referring to how many wrs Ted Thompson has actually drafted since he took over is what i was referring to.

Also you can say we wasted a #1 pick on Nelson because he was our first draft pick and Ted Thompson traded down to get him cheaper.

But read the article it is written with the goggles on and makes you realize how much people over rate things. I say we have 2 good to great wrs but we are far from 5 deep for sure.

I think its funny how once people talk about the faults of our strong point people won't listen to it.

READ THE ARTICLE
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dhazer
  • dhazer
14 years ago

Some just look to try to make up SOMETHING to try to give reasons for their hatred of Ted Thompson.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Well i guess the author of the article must be a Ted Thompson hater also. Facts are Facts cheesey look at how many draft picks Ted Thompson has wasted on wrs when he could have been drafting positions of need.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago

Some just look to try to make up SOMETHING to try to give reasons for their hatred of Ted Thompson.

"dhazer" wrote:

Well i guess the author of the article must be a Ted Thompson hater also. Facts are Facts cheesey look at how many draft picks Ted Thompson has wasted on wrs when he could have been drafting positions of need.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Please explain how the picks of our WR's are "wasted" picks?
Geez....you REALLY dig deep to try to "prove" your reasons for hatred.
I love how you search for articles that agree with you, and post them.
I could do the same thing, but why bother?
Just because some putz agrees with your stance, that means you are right?
Ok......whatever floats your boat.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Lions
2nd Charles Rogers WR
7th Roy Williams WR
10th Mike Williams WR
2nd Calvin Johnson WR

Packers
36th Jordy Nelson WR
78th James Jones WR
52nd Greg Jennings WR
58th Terrence Murphy WR

"dhazer" wrote:

Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson are worthy of top 10 picks, I was referring to how many wrs Ted Thompson has actually drafted since he took over is what i was referring to.

Also you can say we wasted a #1 pick on Nelson because he was our first draft pick and Ted Thompson traded down to get him cheaper.

But read the article it is written with the goggles on and makes you realize how much people over rate things. I say we have 2 good to great wrs but we are far from 5 deep for sure.

I think its funny how once people talk about the faults of our strong point people won't listen to it.

READ THE ARTICLE

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

No I can not say we wasted a first rounder on Jordy because well, we drafted him in the 2nd round first of all and I believe we received more than a 2nd round pick in that trade. I believe we received a fourth round selection as well??

I have read the article, before it was posted here.

Your statement "people made fun of the Lions and them drafting wrs. Well look at all of them Ted Thompson has drafted." is just weak at best. The Lions spent TOP TEN picks on WR's in a short span. Ted has used early to mid 2nd round selections on his WR selections. There's just not comparison at all. The sad thing is. You can't even admit that you're statement is entrenched with bias and that's where those words came from. You said to look at the WR's Ted drafted. I did and posted them for everyone to see. That's how I roll. I actually try to DO research and bring it back to the site instead of having open ended statements.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
  • dhazer
14 years ago
2-58 Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M
6-195 Craig Bragg WR UCLA

2-52 Greg Jennings WR/KR Western Michigan
4-104 Cory Rodgers WR/KR TCU

(78) James Jones, WR, San Jose State
(157) David Clowney, WR, Virginia Tech

(36) Jordy Nelson WR Kansas State
(217) Brett Swain WR San Diego State
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I agree that we did use a lot of draft picks on receivers and that Packer nation might overrate their receivers a little. I mean, they get no love for 'best receiver tandem' anywhere else but this site. Still, I do think that we have one of the best young receivers in the league in Jennings and a Hines Ward-like receiver in Driver. Driver gets underrated a lot and Jennings had just one great year so far.

I think that both James Jones and Jordy Nelson could crack the Nr. 3 spot on just about every single team. On quite a few, they could start. Martin is mediocre, but he's a 5th stringer. He can beat 5th string CBs in man and can stretch some zones. You can't expect a whole lot more from a 5th stringer. Although having a young developping player in that spot would serve us better.

As for the Lions draft picks, I agree with Z2C. We have indeed invested quite some draft picks into receivers, but they where lower picks. The Lions have drafted tons of receivers in a row, all top 10 college talent. Three aren't with the team anymore. Two are free agents and didn't play last year. The other one is a receiver with two great years. He can play, but the Lions really robbed the 'Boys in that trade. Then, after drafting 3 WRs, having two flopped at that point and having one as the future of the franchise, you go and draft another one. Don't get me wrong, Calvin's a great player, but their O-line was a piece of crap.

Point is, Matt Millen went for receivers early while he didn't have to at all and even had two of them turn out horrible. Thompson, so far, has taken receivers lower, knowing that Driver is getting up there in age and we didn't even have a good 2nd receiver. I'm not trying to say that all Thompson does is good and I still don't know if Jordy Nelson was the best pick with DeSean Jackson, Malcolm Jenkins, Eddie Royal and guys like that still on the board, but I can't fault him for it either.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

10h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

14h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

14h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.