Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
While between the white lines of the field I think it would add a unheralded wild card for the playbook... I think the thought is a little out there.

First.. Vick would have no chance beyond 2nd string.

Second.. anyone teetering on the the Thompson bandwagon might have reason to hop off.

Third.. he is an over rated passer..

Fourth... can you imagine the circus this would bring to town.. one year removed from last years crazy train.

Thoughts... lol.

Lucas at Large: Can you imagine Michael Vick in Green Bay? 
Mike Lucas

Me neither.

I can't imagine Michael Vick in Green Bay.

Can't condone what he did. Or who he is -- an ex-con/con-man.

But if the Packers are looking to trump what certainly looms as a distraction -- Brett Favre playing for the Minnesota Vikings -- maybe they should create their own distraction by, at least, checking out Michael Vick.

There are catches, most notably Vick's availability. The Commish has yet to rule on reinstatement. It's reasonable to assume, based on Roger Goodell's track record, that Vick will be suspended X-number of games, if not for the whole season.

What's the worst thing that could happen to Vick if he relocated to Green Bay? How about someone shooting HIS dog? In fairness, the old Dan Devine story got blown out of proportion though one of his dogs was killed by a stray bullet.

Allegedly.

So what could Michael Vick offer the Packers or any other team in the NFL? Think about it. Think about all the backup quarterbacks in the league, and all of the backups to the backups. Now measure them against Vick.

Do you really think Vick would finish last in this competition? Of course not. Doesn't matter that he hasn't played in two years. He has more skill, more athleticism, more game-changing ability than any backup, and many starters.

Great quote from Michael Irvin, the quintessential play-maker. "Michael Vick was 10 steps ahead of every quarterback when it came to running the ball,'' Irvin told the Associated Press. "Maybe now he's only three steps ahead.''

Do the math. That still puts Vick ahead of everybody else (read: Wildcat formation). You wouldn't add Vick to your roster with the idea that he was going to beat out your starter. But you would add Vick to expand your offense.

Added Irvin, who knows something about QB's and skill-position players, "He's still enormously different ... (but) for Michael Vick's sake, he needs to be on a strong team with strong leadership ability.''

That alone would probably eliminate the Packers.

For one thing, Ted Thompson is not likely to admit that he made a mistake on Brian Brohm, a second-round draft pick. Thompson is not likely to make that admission even though the Packers seem to like Matt Flynn more than Brohm.

At some point, the Packers could pay for having such inexperience backups.

At this point, Vick has paid for his indiscretions with his incarceration. The Feds had their say. What's next? NFL justice, and Goodell will have the last word on Vick's sentence and status for the 2009 season. Somebody will take a chance on Vick (if given the opportunity), and won't regret it.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago

At this point, Vick has paid for his indiscretions with his incarceration. The Feds had their say.

Exactly. This shouldn't be a circus. He paid for what he has done, right? Let the man lead his life from here on. At least, untill he screws up again. Don't get me wrong, he did some bad things which you shouldn't do, especially not if you're a public figure, but still.

Now looking at it realistically. I don't know if he's worth the circus, but he sure would make the team better and add a great wrinkle to the offense. I don't know if GB is a good team to do that with, though. Wherever he goes, though, he'll sell tickets and be a great contributor. Even as a starting QB for some teams.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
It shouldn't be a circus... but the media and folks of the ilk will make it one.. no doubt.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
shield4life
14 years ago
It won't and shouldn't be a circus but what would that mean for Rodgers. I mean wouldn't this only show that the management doesn't trust him?

Why would we even get him for 2nd string? ... I'd think he would rather go somewhere where he would have the chance to start sooner then later. Maybe San fransisco?
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
14 years ago
Never happen.

Thompson likes younger not older players.

Certainly not older players that have never played well.

If you want 50 rushing yards a game there are better ways of getting those yards. Look at Vick's stats they just aren't any good.
blank
Greg C.
14 years ago
It's not such a bad idea based solely on Vick's abilities. I've always liked the idea of having a running QB as a backup, because it is tough for the defense when that guy comes into a game. A running QB can play sandlot football and often gut out a win when things aren't going well.

But considering how much baggage Vick would have, it would just be too weird to have him playing in Green Bay. I don't think there will be many teams that will take an interest in Vick if the commissioner lets him play. Also, Thompson wants backups who have a chance to be a QB of the future if something happens to Rodgers, and Vick is getting older now and is not a great fit for the West Coast offense.
blank
dhazer
14 years ago

It's not such a bad idea based solely on Vick's abilities. I've always liked the idea of having a running QB as a backup, because it is tough for the defense when that guy comes into a game. A running QB can play sandlot football and often gut out a win when things aren't going well.

But considering how much baggage Vick would have, it would just be too weird to have him playing in Green Bay. I don't think there will be many teams that will take an interest in Vick if the commissioner lets him play. Also, Thompson wants backups who have a chance to be a QB of the future if something happens to Rodgers, and Vick is getting older now and is not a great fit for the West Coast offense.

"Greg C." wrote:

whats is this crap talk of quarterbacks of the future hell when did Rodgers get old lol. He is what 3 yrs older than our 2 backups. Vick would never come to Green Bay because Ted Thompson would never take a chance.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Fuck this "Thompson would never" bullshit. How many times has Thompson done things people swore he never would never do?

Never take a chance on a player with a questionable past? Oops, Charles Woodson and Koren Robinson.

Never trade up in the draft? Oops, he's done that a couple of times now.

Never resign veterans? Oh, wait, he does that too.

The fact is none of you knows what Thompson may or may not do.

Do I want Vick in Green Bay? Not necessarily, but it's certainly an intriguing idea. With the Wildcat in our arsenal, the Packers offense would be virtually invincible in this league; our yards-per-rushing-attempt could conceivably be astronomical. I'd rather some other team took such a high-risk move, though.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
He'd have to come CHEAP.
And he would have to make it as a RB. He's not a great QB.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago
Many of my friends and people I have worked with have sent me messages stating Al Davis will be the first to sign him.

I gave up trying to figure out Al when he turned 80.

However, I think that is a huge possibility, not as a starter, but as a special go to guy. The only challenge is... Oakland is right across the bridge from the worse possible geographical area Vick should show his face in.

San Fran... is the PETA capital of the world.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (17h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.