Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

It's still a little too soon to tell just how much cornerback Pat Lee's performance on the field will improve from his rookie season to his second year. Training camp will be the best barometer there.

But cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. saw a different Lee in the meeting room during the recently concluded offseason program, and that bodes well for the former second-round draft pick's chances of taking a big step forward in 2009.

"His attention has been better, and he's more professional in the classroom," Whitt said early on during OTAs. "He had a little bit of the college lackadaisical style last year.

"But this year you can see (the change) in his whole approach this offseason. The way he asks questions, and the questions that he asks in meetings. His understanding of what's going on is at a higher-detailed level. He's becoming a professional and he's detailing his work."

There are multiple reasons for Lee's more thorough approach. One is simple maturity, as any young player is going to realize that, no matter how dedicated he was in college, playing football in the NFL is a full-time job that requires several hours of work off the field for every hour on it.

Another is the natural growth in understanding the schemes and responsibilities. As a player's knowledge grows and his adjustment to the pro game progresses, he can narrow his focus from the bigger picture to the finer points, and dig into the details more.

But probably the most important factor is Lee's hunger for playing time, which he didn't get much of last year. In a deep cornerback stable that features Charles Woodson and Al Harris as the starters and Tramon Williams as an established nickelback, Lee finds himself among a group including Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush, Joe Porter and new draftee Brandon Underwood, among others, just trying to get on the field.

During his rookie season, Lee was inactive on gameday for six of the first 10 contests. Then he injured his knee in Week 12 at New Orleans and landed on injured reserve, ending his season.

In all he played in five games, recorded one tackle and broke up one pass -- not exactly the rookie resume he was hoping for. Hence the amped-up desire his coaches and teammates witnessed during film study and the offseason program.

"It's about learning more, and wanting to be on the field more," Lee said. "I have to go out there and get everything right.

"I was down and stuff when I got hurt, but I'm back. I'm just ready. I'm ready to do whatever. I just need to go out there and do my job."

Before he got hurt, a couple aspects of Lee's play belied his youth. First, he was very physical in run support on the edge, a trait he has maintained in his second year. Also, Whitt (who was the defensive quality control coach a year ago) felt the actions and reactions he saw from Lee once the ball was thrown his way were not those of a rookie.

"The best thing that Patrick does is when his back is to the ball, he never panics," Whitt said. "His comfort level was fine."

Whitt sees him quickly getting comfortable with the defense's new 3-4 scheme as well, which requires the corners to play more zone coverage than they have here in the past.

Learning a new defense is nothing new to Lee. He played for three different defensive coordinators - Gene Chizik, David Gibbs and Will Muschamp - in four seasons at Auburn, so even though he was drafted as a press-coverage corner, which defined the bulk of his work his senior year, he has experience with the zone principles the Packers are mixing in as well.

But the bigger hurdle is the competition within the position group for what will likely be, barring injury to one of the top three corners, one role as the sixth defensive back in the dime package. Blackmon appeared to be the front-runner for that spot during the recently completed OTAs and mini-camp, but the competition begins more in earnest in training camp.

"The whole group understands, this is a competitive group," Whitt said. "We have good players at that position, and they all want to get on the field. They all want to play. He understands that, and he understands that if he plays at a level he can play -- he doesn't have to do anything more than he can do -- he will give himself a great opportunity to be one of those guys in the rotation."

The cornerbacks, whose lockers are all aligned together on one side of the locker room, are a tight-knit bunch who certainly keep the competitive part of things on the field. They're a jovial group often seen laughing and joking around off the field, and that has helped Lee to fit in.

"This year I'm more comfortable with my teammates and stuff," he said. "It's very competitive. All these boys are good. Even though we're close, we're all good. We all compete and try to get on that field."

And that's where ultimately the evaluations will be done - on the field. For all the extra attention to detail and added involvement in meetings and film study, Lee must translate that into on-field performance in training camp to earn a bigger role.

He's off to the right start, but the progress must continue.

"Whoever plays best, I'm going to push to play," Whitt said. "I don't get into who's making what or who's been here. I don't care about all that. The guys that are performing and playing best will play. If he's one of those guys, he'll play. If he's not, he'll sit down and watch with me."

I'm not really sold on Lee. I want him to be good, but I have not seen much of him to really say one way or another.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago
Thanks for the great read Zero.

"This year I'm more comfortable with my teammates and stuff," he said. "It's very competitive. All these boys are good. Even though we're close, we're all good. We all compete and try to get on that field."

GREAT ATTITUDE PAT.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
14 years ago
i like the guy. It seems like he can have a bright future.
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago
Last year in TC he showed the talent and potential to be a starter in this league but that by it self doesn't mean much. I think he needs to get the mental side of the game they play in the pro down better.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago
I wanted to see more of what he could do last year but with the emergence of Tramon Williams as a solid nickel and potential starter and his injury that didn't happen. The kid evidently has the right attitude, let's just hope he gets that to translate 'cause our young corners will have some big shoes to fill in the not to distant future.
Born and bred a cheesehead
14 years ago
I remember watching film on him before that draft, and my main concern was his field awareness. He had all of the physical tools in college, but he seemed to sort of "get lost" out there occasionally. That's what I will be watching most this year.

Blackmon seems underrated by so many of these reporters. This guy mentions Will being the front runner for the #4 spot, but every article I read about the DBs barely mentions him. He's going to surprise people in a mixed coverage scheme, mark my words.
UserPostedImage
millertime
14 years ago
I remember him making some good plays in the Atlanta game last year. He had two pass break up in that game, although one was mistakenly called pass interference. McCarthy admitted after the game that there was a miss call and that Lee made a clean play. For some reason, he got no PT after that game.
beast
14 years ago

Blackmon seems underrated by so many of these reporters. This guy mentions Will being the front runner for the #4 spot, but every article I read about the DBs barely mentions him. He's going to surprise people in a mixed coverage scheme, mark my words.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Honestly I thought the change from bump and run to zone would help Blackmon and Rouse the most.

Blackmon isn't that good at bumping and is has been very aware of where the ball is in the past which is what you want in zone. From the reporting he sounds like the same.

Rouse usually makes his plays when he's playing zone and not man... (yes the Safety played some zone in Sanders system). And he played zone in college... and usually Rouse mistakes where in man so I though this would help but sounds like he could be the 4th best S this year in Collins and Bigby are ready to go.
UserPostedImage
blueleopard
14 years ago
I agree with beast. It's said every year, but Aaron Rouse really has every opportunity to shine now.

He played some backer and safety in Virginia Tech, and a more oriented zone scheme could really affect his play. He's instinctive enough to hit receivers as they catch the ball, he has the speed and strength to play the run, and he has the size to disrupt any players coming into his zone.

You already know about his ball-hawking skills.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
beast
14 years ago

He's instinctive enough to hit receivers as they catch the ball, he has the speed and strength to play the run, and he has the size to disrupt any players coming into his zone.

You already know about his ball-hawking skills.

"blueleopard" wrote:

I agree think Rouse problem is more mental than anything... but he did play a lot better in zone in the past then man.

My biggest problems with Rouse is he always goes for the high light play.

He tries high blow up hits even against big RB like Adrian Peterson, Marion Barber and Brandon Jacobs. Your just not going those guys down with a high blow up hit if they see them coming... I don't care who you are.... Heck going high and trying to wrap up probably isn't going to work ether...

The angles he take leads him to where the guys is.... NOT where the the guy WILL be.

Also he doesn't play is safe when their is a maybe a big play to be had. Against the Lions the ball Woodson took a chance at a INT (which he's Woodson... I think it's fair to say he can make plays happen) and got his hands on the ball but tipped it (and not catch it)... Calvin Johnson was still able to grab the ball and just ran straight because Rouse was going to where the ball would of been hadn't Johnson grabbed it instead of playing it safe and making sure Johnson didn't get it and score a TD like Johnson end up did.

He has all the talent but it I think the simple little mental things are holding him back. Also he got slower when he added that unneeded weight.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (23h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (23h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
51m / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

1h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.