Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I saw Zeke Bratkowski at a sportscard show in Milwaukee today.
For those that don't remember him, he was Bart Starr's backup back in the 1960's. And he was one HECK of a good backup! When Starr got hurt, Bratkowski would step in and the Packers wouldn't miss a beat.
I told him how much i enjoyed watching him play. And man, what a nice guy! I asked if i could get my picture taken with him, but the woman in charge said the guy running the show didn't allow that. Zeke looked at her like "are you nuts?" And HE asked her to ask the show guy if he could do it. Of course the guy running the show said "Sure Zeke! Whatever you want!"
So i had the lady take it. I HOPE it turns out. My camera is tricky, and i TRIED to set it up for her. If it doesn't turn out, i'll be bummed.

And, on a sad note, Fuzzy Thurston was there. The partner of the guy running the show told me Fuzzy isn't doing at all well. He told me he's in the onset of Alzheimer's.
I got Fuzzy to sign the pic of me and him from Fan Fest last year. Fuzzy was nice, but not his normal "jovial" self. It made me sad to see him looking bad.
UserPostedImage
dingus
14 years ago
I wouldn't feel too bad about Fuzzy, Cheesey. The man has lived a full life and lived it like there is no tomorrow. I had a good friend who used to clean his bar. She'd show up in the morning for her shift and he'd still be there from the night before, just waking up and starting to get ready for that night. She loved him and said he was a prince of a man. He has faced so much adversity and has done so with a smile. I'm sure he'd hate it if anyone was feeling sorry for him!
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Awesome that you met Zeke. I saw some stuff about him and, like you said, he was pretty great when replacing Bart Starr. He carried the team in that Baltimore game, if I'm correct. Must've been great.

I don't know a lot about Fuzzy, but if he was a guard in the Packers sweep area, he must've been quite the player. I don't know anything about him as a person, but it's always sad to hear something like that.
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
14 years ago
Dingus, i do and i don't feel sorry for him. He has faced the physical problems like a champ. But when it's your mind that goes, it destroys a person. They arn't even "who they were" when that happens.
The few times i have been with Fuzzy, he has been just like you said. Outgoing, and just loves the attention and the fans.
I heard a story today from the guy that runs the card show. He said, the last time he had Fuzzy signing, he went up to his house to drive Fuzzy, so he wouldn't have to drive. He said that on the way, Fuzzy made him stop at a bar! But thats Fuzzy! He loves to party!

Rock, this was the first time i ever got to meet Zeke. And he was as outgoing and friendly as can be! I always hoped i would get to meet him, and it was just by luck that i saw the ad in the paper a few days ago about the card show.

I actually did quite a bit today. I stopped at the cemetary where my family is buried, and visited my Mom and Dad's grave, and my Brother's grave, my Grandparent's grave (my Mom's folks) and 2 of my Aunt's and Uncle's.
It sucks that i have to go to a cemetary for a "family reunion".
Then i went to another cemetary to visit my Grandma's grave. She died before i was born. Then i drove past the house my Dad built, where i grew up. Then, for the heck of it, i went to the cemetary where Reggie Lisowski is buried. For those that don't recognize the name, it's the REAL name for the pro wrestler named "The Crusher", whose cousin was his wresting partner, Dick "The Brusier" Afflis, who was a guard for the Packers in 1951-1954. So i had a full day.

I also did laundry and made spaghetti with venison for supper.

(I'll make someone a good wife some day!!!)LOLOL!!!
UserPostedImage
dingus
14 years ago
OK, now you're just making me feel bad, I've been sleeping for the last 2 hours and went to a used book store before that! Nothing else, and it's the first sunny day we've had all week!

Definitely agree about the alzheimers, that is a truly terrifying way to go out.
blank
yooperfan
14 years ago
Good old Zeke.
When he had to come in for Bart, you never felt like the Packers would miss a beat, and for the most part they didn't.
Strangely enough, when Zeke left the Packers he went to the Bears, but he will always be a Packer in my mind.
14 years ago
Zeke, old #12. Known more for his All American college football career and his coaching than has an NFL player.

Backing up Bart Starr isn't too bad.

Too bad he never got to be a head coach in the NFL. He certainly could have been one at the college level if he wanted.
blank
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
14 years ago

Good old Zeke.
When he had to come in for Bart, you never felt like the Packers would miss a beat, and for the most part they didn't.
Strangely enough, when Zeke left the Packers he went to the Bears, but he will always be a Packer in my mind.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Yup! He did!
Didn't he play for the Rams too? (I'm not certain on that)
But thats what i told him today. I told him how i never was afraid when he came in for Bart, cause i KNEW he would keep us in the game!
He really smiled when i said that!

Dingus..........don't feel bad my friend! Believe me, there are days when i can't even get out of bed. With my recent heart surgery, it's been even worse with the bilateral Meniere's disease, the asthma, the diabetes, the hypertension, the arthritus of the spine, the familial tremors..........I'm probably forgetting a few..........LOLOLOL!!!
It's funny. There are some days i can get alot done, others you'd think i was at death's door. Thats what frustrates my wife so much. She says "People only see you when you are having a good day! They arn't there when your too sick to get out of bed!" But she KNOWS i try, no matter how I'm doing!
Oh yeah.......just remembered.......migraine headaches!LOLOL!!! :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago
that's so cool alan - i'm jealous as can be but happy you got to meet him. sorry to hear about fuzzy - alzheimers is no way to go. 😞
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
14 years ago
Thanks Illy!!!

Another neat thing was, when i was talking with Zeke, we got to talking about open heart surgery. We ended up coparing what he went through to mine. He told me that to get his leg vein, they opened up his leg from groin to ankle. I told him ho i had 2 cuts, and they yanked the vein out.
It was kind of fun disscussing it all with him. It was like talking to an old friend.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

17m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

12h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.