DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/47732357.html 

This player excites me!

We have some pretty good depth at OLB, if Kampmann can play it.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

He said part of the reason he was improving rapidly was because Greene - the assistant linebackers coach - picks a weak spot for each linebacker every day and makes it a focal point for a practice. Whether it was vision or hand placement, Thompson has had a daily goal.

More and more I'm liking what I hear out of camp about Greene. I'm looking forward to witnessing the explosiveness and meanness -- and most importantly, the focus and attention to detail -- he's bringing to our defense.

I mean, look at him. In contrast to the average coach, who seems to be overweight if not obese, this guy is still ripped.
[align=center]
UserPostedImage[/align]
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
More on Thompson:

Thompson Appears Fit For New Position  

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 06/10/2009

When the 2008 season ended, the initial evaluation of Jeremy Thompson was that he'd need to add 10 to 15 pounds to his 270-pound frame to become a more all-around player at defensive end.

But with the switch to the 3-4 defense, and a position change for Thompson to outside linebacker, the weight issue shifted gears. During the offseason strength and conditioning program, Thompson dropped roughly 10 pounds to help with his speed and agility, and ever since then a trimmer, leaner Thompson has been No. 1 on the depth chart as a starting outside linebacker opposite Aaron Kampman.

"I have a big frame, but I'm pretty lean, pretty athletic," said Thompson, who is listed at 6-foot-4 and said after really strenuous workouts might weigh 255. "So I think body-wise I'm a pretty good fit. I just have to get my mentality to be an outside linebacker. I think I'm doing a pretty good job of that right now."

Thompson didn't shy away from the position switch in the slightest. Called a "natural fit for this defense" by Head Coach Mike McCarthy, Thompson used the one-on-one time with outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene during the offseason program to dive right in and learn everything he needed to.

As a defensive end in college at Wake Forest, Thompson had on occasion been assigned to drop into pass coverage like an outside linebacker does. So adding that to his duties defending the run and rushing the passer wasn't a foreign concept for the 2008 fourth-round draft pick.

But as a pure 3-4 outside backer, the additional pass coverage skills are needed more than just sparingly, and Thompson knew that in addition to shedding a few pounds, he would have to not only learn the techniques for dropping into coverage but also master them.

"He's been very conscientious along those lines," defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. "Which always makes an impression on me, because I think a big part of a guy developing in any scheme is what type of time he's willing to commit and do all the little things that maybe some guys won't do, and he's certainly done all those things.

"He's made progress and, through just a short period of time we've been around him, has been encouraging. I think he has the ability to play the position."

Capers cautioned not to read too much into who's taking snaps with the No. 1 unit during this month's OTAs, because there's expected to be significant competition for the job in training camp. Veteran Brady Poppinga and rookie first-round draft choice Clay Matthews, who are currently working with the No. 2 defense, will be in the mix and get their chance.

But to this point, more than halfway through OTAs, Thompson has stayed with the first unit, and that has its benefits. On Wednesday with the defense working on several pressure packages, he knifed through for what likely would have been clean sack of the quarterback during team (11-on-11) work.

"I think in terms of knowing the plays, it's pretty much the same -- the 1's and 2's get the same reps," he said. "But just working with the 1's, you kind of develop a chemistry with the other guys out there, and I think that will be good for me.

"They gave me the opportunity early, and I just tried to bone up on all the plays, know what I'm supposed to do, know where I'm supposed to be, and just try to do my best out there."

Thompson's rookie season at defensive end had its ups and downs. He was a healthy inactive for the first four games but then started to flash his ability at midseason, totaling eight of his 13 tackles on the year in back-to-back games against Seattle and Indianapolis.

But three weeks later he injured his groin, missing two games, then injured his knee and ankle upon his return and sat out another contest. Between the injuries and limited snaps the rest of the way, he didn't record a tackle over the season's final seven games.

That prompted the evaluation from then-defensive ends coach Carl Hairston that Thompson needed to bulk up a bit to become more effective and also endure the long pro season. But with the change in defensive scheme he was immediately pegged by the new coaches as an outside linebacker candidate, and thus far he's made the transition relatively smoothly.

Advertisement
"Through practice there's going to be two or three plays, all right, that things (won't go well) just because he's never seen them before," Capers said. "But I think he's one of those guys that once he sees them, he normally responds to it, and you learn from it.

"He's working extremely hard at it. He's doing a good job mentally. I think he can be a physical presence out there, and I think when he gets in situations where backs have to block him, it will be tough duty for them because of his size and athletic ability. Once we get the pads on him, hopefully we feel the same way."

So does Thompson, who would love nothing more than to go from such a limited role as a rookie to a starter in his second year. That would be a dramatic leap, to say the least, and while there's a long way to go before anything is decided, Thompson's quest has begun as well as anyone could have hoped.

"They've giving me an opportunity to compete for the starting job, and I want to take that opportunity and try and run with it," he said. "For whatever reason last year things didn't click for me, but now it's a new year, and I'm ready to look forward and do things the right way this year.

"Right now I see myself as a work in progress, but by the time camp comes I want to be one of the best."

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I'm really beginning to like this guy more and more. I really hope that he'll become our Shaun Phillips. A linebacker who can rush the QB, but can also drop back in coverage quite well.

As for Greene, I really like his style as well. I really ike the way that he's handling these guys. At least, from what I've read in the part that NonStop posted.

Only problem I see is that he'll might be gone by next season if he's really that good. (Going from OLB to LB coach is a move up, right?)
beast
14 years ago

He said part of the reason he was improving rapidly was because Greene - the assistant linebackers coach - picks a weak spot for each linebacker every day and makes it a focal point for a practice. Whether it was vision or hand placement, Thompson has had a daily goal.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

More and more I'm liking what I hear out of camp about Greene. I'm looking forward to witnessing the explosiveness and meanness -- and most importantly, the focus and attention to detail -- he's bringing to our defense.

I mean, look at him. In contrast to the average coach, who seems to be overweight if not obese, this guy is still ripped.
[align=center]
UserPostedImage[/align]

Yeah I was thinking about written a very shot note basically saying he should put on some players shorts instead of the coach short shorts...

because he looks more like a player (plus the players short look good unlike the coaches short shorts)
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
14 years ago
Let Greene learn how to be a Coordinator under Capers and then stay long term with the Pack. I can't wait to see him on the sidelines.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
In contrast to the relative passivity of our defensive coaching staff last year, I get the feeling that Kevin Greene will be on top of things from the sideline, cheering on his men when they do well and chewing their asses when they fuck up. It'll be a refreshing change.
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
14 years ago
I wonder if we have to be concerned with Greene getting concussion flashbacks and running onto the field to make a hit?
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
porky88
14 years ago
I read the same thing and I'm also feeling this vibe. I mentioned it in the Clay Matthews update that was posted somewhere. I think the OTA thread, but everything you read about Jeremy Thompson is very encouraging. I'm really excited to see him and Clay Matthews duke it out for the OLB spot opposite of Kampman.
Dulak
14 years ago
I'm glad we got some solid guys at the OLB position. Kampman, pappinga, matthews and thompson

Be curious who starts the right side.

I've said this before - but I'm just going to love watching our D work this next year. Last year I really only liked our secondary and I would always consciously hope a pass would be thrown toward woodson or harris.

I just want to see some surprise blitz's from our team this year. I want some sacks. I want their QB running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.
I want passes to get thrown widely; and I want some safeties. I want running backs to get stopped by a wall of fat from our Dlinemen. And I want their TEs to know who is boss and thats the GB packers.