Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Has the offseason really been boring?

Heard it stated a few times that this has been a boring offseason for the Packers, but has it really been boring and lacking of moves and interest? Lets take a couple of moments to reflect on 10 points on how this offseason should be looked at as anything but boring.

1. Yes is happened a little quickly in the schedule of the offseason, but other than replacing the Head Coach or GM, I can think of any move that would have more impact on a team than changing out the Defensive Coordinator upon a team. Especially when the hire is in the caliber of a Dom Capers and the wealth of knowledge and experience he brings to the table. [img_r]http://www.studyofsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/capers-300x195.jpg[/img_r]

2. In addition to making that move have been the additions on Capers staff that have as much bearing on the success going forward as Capers himself. Names like Trgovac, Greene and Perry should give a Packer fan much to research and learn about them as players and now the intensity and knowledge they bring to the staff.

3. The talk of running multiple fronts, pressure packages, and coverage packages over the backend of the defense is exciting as hell. Yeah, maybe this is too X and Oish for some, but a season after watching the Packers be either too stubborn or not capable of adjusting to the oppositions attacks.. I cannot express just how much excitement and depth this has brought to this offseason and the upcoming push to the Lombardi.

4. Some say they are disappointed that the Packers werent more active in the Free Agency market yet again. While it is true that we didnt add the blockbuster names some were clamoring for, even though I dont consider Canty or Burnett blockbusters, the Packers were clearly more publicly aggressive in the free agent market. Just the fact that they were rumored again to be very active in Free Agency tells me that there were a couple of key areas of focus that Packers zeroed in on. In other words, I think it is clear that the Packers player personnel believe they are getting close to having the depth they strive for and now they are focused on adding key impact players to push them over the top.

5. That leads directly into the NFL draft.. how can anyone be disappointed on how that draft broke for the Packers this season. Albeit I have some reservations on BJ Raji and the cost of adding Matthews (see #6), it cannot be questioned how talented these two players are. Throw in the likes of TJ Lang, Meredith and Johnson and you have the potential for a highly impactful class of players being added into a single draft. Oh, and do yourself a little favor and spend a little time digging into the 7th rounder Brad Jones.. this is a rangy backers with athleticism to spare. [img_r]http://blog.nj.com/realtimesports_impact/2009/04/large_bj425.jpg[/img_r]

6. The Trade. I will be perfectly clear that I still think it was a steep price to pay in order to obtain the rights to draft Clay Matthews, as a firm believer in that the draft chart is outdated and overrated tool for those that cover the draft, I look at where the picks fell and still have a belief that we overpaid to get into that slot. So on the surface, it may appear that I am less than thrilled with the move; one would be mistaken here. Matthews has proven that he has the drive and passion to improve his game, doesnt rely on what his Father did in the game or college, and wants to outwork anyone in the way of his goal. The other factor of this deal is that it proves to Packer nation that Thompson has the conviction and ability to pull the trigger on a player that the scouting staff is sold upon. It should quiet that type of talk, but until they see Matthews excel upon the field, it probably will not.

7. The health updates on the team overall. The reports coming out of OTAs and workouts are that the Packers are in pretty good shape with guys in the recovery cycle. A few will point to guys not working out and in the rehab process, folks this is routine for guys coming off major surgeries. Furthermore, all these major surgeries are months behind these guys and the reports are very positive on all accounts. Guys like Jenkins arent focused on the major areas of work, but more on the minor cleaning out of an ankle. That bodes well for the training camp. Harrell says he feels the best he has in year, Bigby says he is ready to roll, Barnett say his physical progress is well ahead of schedule and James Jones looks like an absolute beast physically. That is positive and exciting news my friends.

8. So the health news is good, but that isnt the only nuggets hitting the media these days. How about the gifted talent that is Finley showing signs of maturity at the young age of 24. Or the claims by Harrell that he hasnt earned any of his pay that the Packers have given him to date. When is the last time you heard such an honest self opinion of young professional player, I think that speaks well of his determination for the upcoming season.

Rodgers sounds and acts like all systems are normal after a highly productive first year as a starter. Yes he made a couple of blogs with a blonde in Vegas, or going on a date with a singer.. but other than that he has the sounds of a determined young player set on becoming even a better overall player. That right there is as exciting as things can get for a football team.

9. Locking up the future. So we werent overly successful in landing free agents, but all that money saved has already started to be put to use. Tramon Williams was given a bump in pay above what the CBA had him slotted for. Albeit that is an oversight in the CBA and an injustice for players earning their way into the league, the Packers and Williams found a fair middle ground to the issue and more than likely set the stage for a long term mutually beneficial contract for both parties if Williams finds success in the new defensive scheme.

That is a smart and highly ethical approach to dealing with the situation that speaks well to attracting more of these young determined players that fall through the cracks on the NFL draft. Note the number of undrafted players that chose the Packers over other teams. This will pay off in the future, if not this year. Keep your eyes peeled on Simmons from Greg Jennings School of development.

10. If one is truly bored after all that positive and exciting news, all you have to do is start studying some of the upcoming battles that will be waged for roster spots in the coming months. Beyond the QB and Kicker, there probably isnt a spot on the team where it is 100% locked down in terms of where guys will be positioned and who will make the final fifty three players.

At running back there are guys pushing for time and roster spots, all along the offensive line there are spot and starting positions that are there for the taking. Wide receiver, are you kidding me with the amount of talent that has been assembled for which the coaches can fit in players. The Finley verses Lee should be an interesting battle for playing time, maybe not whom shall start but the amount of snaps each gets is in the balance of this offseason.

On defense; it is completely insane to look at the amount of talent and opportunities that are there for guys to take advantage of. The battles along the defensive line and linebackers should be an absolute freaking treat to behold. Can Williams unseat Harris or Woodson in a starting role; will Bigby and Collins hold off the advancing Rouse and the newcomer in Smith? Who steps up and solidifies our punting game. Can Hall and Kuhn hold off Johnson for a roster spot... how do the roster counts work out this season.

I could go on and on with the number of roster battles and variations of how the final 53 could be put together, there are an endless amount of discussions that could take place on that area of topic alone.

So looking at just those 10 items, I can see how anyone can conclude that this has been a boring offseason and that we are lacking in things to discuss. If anything, this slow part of the NFL calendar is being magnified by the fact that we are all anxious to get to the meat of the preparation for the season that is training camp. [url=index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=104]Read More...[/url].
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
Love the post. I just have a general dislike for the OTA season. Most of these guys still want to be on vacation in my opinion. The time around the draft I enjoy as well as the training camp period, but OTAs...bah!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Graffin
14 years ago
I agree this off season is more exciting then usual, love the Harrell and Finley statements. But are position battles really interesting while there going on, or is it just the outcome? Shaky video's through fences were you can't make out who's who don't hold my attention very long. It's a tease. Seems like it will be cool, but then you just want more. Much like strip club. :pottytrain2:
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Shaky video's through fences were you can't make out who's who don't hold my attention very long. It's a tease. Seems like it will be cool, but then you just want more.

"Graffin" wrote:

Oh I agree with the "shaky" video syndrome that passes for excitement.. but I find reading about the battles along with making an appearance or two at camp to see some actions for myself as thrilling.

I only wish we had more "Football" people covering the Packers locally in the state that could give even more insight into the camp battles than the rehashed words of the coaches... someone that could report daily on the action.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
vegOmatic
14 years ago
Threads like this make it boring. 😛 😃
blank
Greg C.
14 years ago
Some people seem to define a team's off-season entirely on the basis of signing big-name free agents, or making blockbuster trades. Those are the only people who would think this one has been boring. I agree with you that it's been a really interesting off-season. I just hope we don't get a bunch of injuries in training camp like we did last year.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Good article, Pack93.

I agree that this hasn't been a boring off-season by NFL standards. Problem is, the off-season is just boring all together apart from a highlight or three such as the draft.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
awesome post 93. We've been on the outside looking in quite a bit this offseason, and that is not where a fan wants to be. Ted should have been calling me this year. I'd be happy to offer my services as an outdside consultant. lol. I'm 100% with you in thinking that the coaching/scheme change for the defense is bigger than any FA we could've picked up. This season is going to be nuts!
UserPostedImage
shanks2122
14 years ago
Enjoyed the post!

Personally i think every off-season is boring unless you are coming off a superbowl victory.

One thing that im really looking forward to is seeing the offensive sets that the packers can implement with quinn johnson!
blank
RaiderPride
14 years ago
Well Done "Z"

Thanks for the read.

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (8h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (11h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (13h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (14h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.