Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Al Harris, predictably, was emotional about it.

Dom Capers, just as predictably, was philosophical about it.

Yet the reactions of both essentially said the same thing: Harris, the Green Bay Packers veteran cornerback, will be able to play and play well in the new 3-4 defense Capers has brought to the Packers.

Almost from the moment Capers was hired in January, there were questions about whether Harris, a predominantly man-to-man cornerback throughout his 11-year NFL career, would be able to succeed in playing in a defense that is defined largely by zone coverages.

During last weeks organized team activities, Harris couldnt have been much more defiant in his response to those charges.

Who says that? Harris said. I havent heard one scout say that. Just for your knowledge, when you ask these types of questions, zone is much easier to play than man. Thats the way it is. Thats why they call it man and zone.

When asked if he isnt suited to play zone, Harris responded: Why, why wouldnt it suit me? Were not hacks here. Were pros. Man, Im a corner. There isnt a technique that I havent played.

One person with knowledge of Capers and his system said Capers is one of the most creative defensive minds in the game, and if he feels Harris isnt suited to zone coverages, he will find a way to mix in more man-to-man principles.

We want to have the ability to play both, Capers said. If youre locked into one, you can be too predictable, and from what Ive seen, I think well have enough ability to play what we want, and that might vary from one week to the next.

The 34-year old Harris developed a reputation as one of the best pure cover corners in the NFC and made the Pro Bowl in 2007 while playing under the Jim Bates-Bob Sanders system the Packers ran from 2005 to 2008. That system was predicated on the cornerbacks playing tight, man-to-man press coverage.

Harris game never was predicated on speed but rather his ability to be physical with receivers within the 5-yard contact zone. He was adept at bumping receivers off their routes, forcing quarterbacks to throw elsewhere.

In zone or off coverage, Harris wouldnt play as close to the line of scrimmage, and therefore wouldnt be in a position to bump and chuck receivers.

I believe everybody has their strengths, and Al is probably the best press corner in the NFL, fellow Packers cornerback Will Blackmon said. But Al is also one of the best cornerbacks, period. Al has probably the best feet Ive ever seen in a cornerback. Everybody has their thing. Charles (Woodson) is probably one of the best players when the ball is in the air. Thats his strength, but Charles can press, too, and play off.

Capers acknowledged that playing more zone than man coverage would be a significant adjustment for Harris, but Harris willingness to attend the voluntary OTA sessions should help ease that transition.

Hes working hard at it, Capers said. Ive seen a couple plays the last few days where you can see Als ability to close on a receiver and get the ball out. Ive always felt if a guy can play man, he can learn how to play zone. Its harder if a guys been a zone player to turn him into a man player because it takes physical tools to play coverage in this league.

One change for corners transitioning from a man scheme to a zone scheme is vision of the football. In the past, Harris was so close to the line of scrimmage that he almost always had to turn his head in order to see the ball. Playing off coverage would allow him to see the ball longer.

Now, well be able to see the quarterback, see the receiver and see the ball, Blackmon said.

Perhaps Harris reputation for struggling in zone coverage was more due to miscommunications throughout the defense that hampered the Packers in the rare instances when they played zone in recent years.

One thing now is weve got a lot of communication, Blackmon said. That was the main issue we had last year, communication breakdowns. So thats what weve been working on this year. Communication is the key in (zone) because there are times you might pass off (a receiver). Youve got to be on the same page, and that was our weakness last year.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I really like how Al does his interviews. Nothing is held back.

I thought the tail end of this article said quite a bit too. Thank you Will.

Woodson and Harris did not attend OTA's last year did they?
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
14 years ago
This is why Al Harris is one of my favorite players. He tells you exactly how he feels.

Plus he has dreads and thats always a plus. 🙂
blank
Blank402
14 years ago

I really like how Al does his interviews. Nothing is held back.

I thought the tail end of this article said quite a bit too. Thank you Will.

Woodson and Harris did not attend OTA's last year did they?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

They both skipped the first couple of practices but they showed up eventually. I was surprised that Harris was already there this year, I guess he's really eager to learn the new defense. I expect Woodson will show up sooner rather than later.
blank
beast
14 years ago
Harris and Collins and some of the man coverage guys IMO. But both have struggled in zone because lack or communication and even more so because they kept their heads down and focused in on one guy.....

In zone you have to keep you head up and be looking at the whole picture not just the one guy, which both of them ended up focusing in on one guy way too much.

They need to get the mental part of it of keeping their head up and watching everyone a little.... if their able to learn the mental side of it then they'll be good to go.

Also on a side note.... Rouse struggles with man to man but most of his big play have come in zone. Which zone is what he played though out college and he could be the best S in zone coverage. But he still needs to take better and smarter angles and wrap up instead of going for the big hit every time and sometimes missing the takcles....
UserPostedImage
vikesrule
14 years ago

Plus he has dreads and thats always a plus. :)

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

Whoopi !

[youtube]MozIVCW9Vo0[/youtube]
doddpower
14 years ago
Yeah, yeah, vikesrule, but you gotta love how he just gets right back up and get's playing his heart out. Hard to ask for much more then that.

Overlooking the Giants game where the coaches refused to give him help, the guy is a flat out player. I'm glad he's a Packer, especially with flexible coaching.
vikesrule
14 years ago

Yeah, yeah, vikesrule, but you gotta love how he just gets right back up and get's playing his heart out. Hard to ask for much more then that.

"doddpower" wrote:

I know, but it is not part of my job description to the guy any credit.
doddpower
14 years ago

"vikesrule" wrote:

I know, but it is not part of my job description to the guy any credit.

"doddpower" wrote:

Understood. So that's why I did it! =)

With that being said, I will be surprised is Harris excels with the zone coverages. I have a feeling other players such as Williams and even Blackmon will start gaining on him pretty quickly. Time will tell though.

I do see Charles Woodson excelling even more so in this defense though, and THAT makes me excited.
Stevetarded
14 years ago
Any man who asks to have his spleen cut out to get back on the field sooner has my respect. He always says how he feels but never goes overboard with anything. He is a very likeable player and I really hope he can do well in the new defense and stick around a few more years. 🙂
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (18h) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (21h) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

48m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.