Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

GREEN BAY Donald Driver wants his contract reworked again.

The Green Bay Packers three-time Pro Bowl wideout was missing from the teams first open-to-the-media organized team activity practice Thursday at the Don Hutson Center, and two NFL sources said and a team source confirmed that Driver was absent because he wants the team to sweeten his deal.

Driver, 34, has two years remaining on his current deal, which calls for a $3.9 million base salary this season and a $4 million base salary in 2010. Driver finished the 2008 season with 74 catches for 1,012 yards and five touchdowns. His number of receptions and yardage were his lowest since 2003.

This is the fourth straight year Driver has approached the team about improving his deal. According to one source, Driver first approached the team at the annual FanFest in March. Its surprising Driver has taken this approach, given his standing in the community and popularity with fans. Driver has taken over ex-Packers quarterback Brett Favres annual charity softball game, which is scheduled for June 14 this year.

I dont know what hes doing, one NFL source said. It makes no sense.

Driver has been surpassed as the Packers No. 1 receiver by Greg Jennings, who the final year of his four-year contract. Jennings is scheduled to make $535,000 this season the minimum salary for a player with three years of experience. Yet Jennings is attending OTAs.

They knew I was going to be here, Jennings said. If something were to come up, it wouldnt be because of my contract situation, it would be because of my family.

Before the 2006 season, Driver complained about being underpaid and the Packers responded by adding two years to his contract, a move that increased the value of his deal to $17 million over four years through the 09 season. Driver made more than $5 million of that $17 million in 06 and was scheduled to make $2.7 million in 07, $3.9 million in 08 and $4.9 million in 09 in base salary and roster bonuses.

But before the 07 season, after Driver made his second Pro Bowl, the Packers again reworked his deal, adding more than $10 million in new money, much of it in the form of an additional year of 2010. The rest of the new money came in the form of roster bonuses and workout bonuses. Portions of those roster bonuses were based on Driver being on the active 45-man roster for each game.

In 2007, when he played in 15 of 16 games, Driver was to eligible earn $1.3 million in roster bonus money, in addition to his $2.7 million base salary. Last season, when he played in all 16 games, he earned $2 million in roster bonus money in addition to his $2.9 million base salary.

This year, Driver has a $2 million roster bonus in addition to his $3.9 million base salary. In 2010, the roster bonus is $2.8 million atop a $4 million salary. By not working out with the team a set number of times during the offseason, Driver would forfeit workout bonuses worth more than $200,000 per year.

Contacted via e-mail, Drivers agent, Jordan Woy, said Driver is training in Texas and the Packers know this. It is not a mandatory camp. Attempts to reach Driver via phone and text message were unsuccessful, but in an interview with Milwaukee TV station WITI last week, Driver was asked if he was happy with his contract and replied, "Oh, I'm happy. ... They always say when you get later in your career you go out there and do your best and hopefully you'll get what you deserve."

OTAs are technically voluntary but are strongly encouraged. Only two other veterans cornerback Charles Woodson and safety Nick Collins were absent Thursday.

Collins father, James Collins Sr., died of cancer at age 56 Saturday in Florida, although Collins agent, David Butz, told the State Journal earlier this month that Collins would not be participating in the OTAs regardless of any family matters. Woodson was excused by coach Mike McCarthy for personal reasons but is expected to attend later in the session.

As far as the guys that are not here Donald Driver, Charles Woodson, Nick Collins no different than weve done in the past, I know everybody here understands that whether its personal reasons, business reasons, whatever they are, Im not going to discuss those, McCarthy said. I know the fans respect that we dont do business in the media.

Asked if he expects to have Driver, Woodson and Collins back at some point during OTAs, McCarthy replied, Ive addressed that. Time will answer that. Im done with attendance. I hope you can respect that.

Meanwhile, exclusive-rights free-agent cornerback Tramon Williams signed a one-year contract. Williams practiced the first two days of OTAs without a deal, which agent Rodney Williams said was worth more than the one-year, $460,000 exclusive-rights tender. The agent would not elaborate.

According to the National Football Post, Williams' deal is worth $900,000 -- $525,000 in base salary plus a $375,000 signing bonus.

Its team-first, man. Im a team-first guy, said Tramon Williams, who played in 16 games (nine starts) last year. Weve got a new defense in, and obviously it wouldve hurt me more if I wasnt here to learn the defense. But I still would have been here. I dont want to miss any workouts mandatory or voluntary. Thats just the way I do it.

What do you think?
UserPostedImage
wils0646
14 years ago
WTF...

This came out of left field. They restructured in '06 and '07 and now he still wants a new deal? Weird.
The Pack Will Be Back.
dfosterf
14 years ago
I wonder what he wants.

I don't think they have to pay him. I don't think he will hold out if they don't.

Pay him anyway.

I say.
longtimefan
14 years ago

I wonder what he wants.

I don't think they have to pay him. I don't think he will hold out if they don't.

Pay him anyway.

I say.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Ummmmmmmm

His deal got re-worked 2 years in a a row

At some point you have to say enough...
RaiderPride
14 years ago
I am calling BULL SHIT.

Who the frick are your two NFL sources Jason? And who the hell is the source with in the team?

Christ... It is not like this is a story about the Nixon administration breaking into the Watergate.

Your fircken source is not "Deep Throat" and needing the witness protection agency.

Cut the bullshit Jason...... and do not print this crap until the story is confirmed by Donald, The Packers, and or his agent or all three.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
porky88
14 years ago
1. Greg Jennings comes first even over Donald Driver. I also think it would set a nice example to redo Jennings deal ASAP especially since he's is at OTA's.

As long as Driver is training I don't think it's a big deal that he's not there. Of course you'd want him there, but it's not going to ruin the year that he's not there. He knows the offense as well as anyone I assume.

Now this year with a new defense being installed, defensive players should probably be there, but the offense is the same.

As far as the contract. I think he's looking for one last big pay day. He's an aging player and he sees one more chance. I think the Packers should at least talk to him. They owe him that, but this sounds like someone who is trying to make this story bigger than what it really is. I'd be shocked to see Driver hold out of mandatory camps.
14 years ago
Again with the Favre type reporting.

Is ther a quote from his agent or Donald saying he is disgruntled.

Asking for it is not a problem. He wasn't screaming his demands last time.

He moved to Texas recently and may be spending more time with his family.

He knows the offense and multiple positions within it.

This is not a huge concern.

We ought to withold opinions and judgements until we actually hear from Donald.

Look what has happened this offseason when Brett Favre said nothing other than "I'm retired".

Don't let the press turn you against good people like Brett and Donald.
blank
Bigbyfan
14 years ago
Until Driver says something, I don't care about the story. However my guess is he wants more years on the deal instead of money.
blank
4PackGirl
14 years ago
not believing it til i hear it from driver.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

1. Greg Jennings comes first even over Donald Driver. I also think it would set a nice example to redo Jennings deal ASAP especially since he's is at OTA's.

As long as Driver is training I don't think it's a big deal that he's not there. Of course you'd want him there, but it's not going to ruin the year that he's not there. He knows the offense as well as anyone I assume.

Now this year with a new defense being installed, defensive players should probably be there, but the offense is the same.

As far as the contract. I think he's looking for one last big pay day. He's an aging player and he sees one more chance. I think the Packers should at least talk to him. They owe him that, but this sounds like someone who is trying to make this story bigger than what it really is. I'd be shocked to see Driver hold out of mandatory camps.

"porky88" wrote:

I agree. They should up Jennings contract right now. Reward him for being a team player and just walking into the facility while having a horrible contract as one of our best players. Let his good work ethic be rewarded.

And, if this is true, I think it's all about that last big pay day aswell. I asume he wants to get a lot of money right now, maybe this year, rather than later on. He's feeling the pressure with Nelson and Jones sitting behind him and I can imagine that he's thinking that this could be his last year. Same goes for Harris btw, although he's not aiming for more money.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (26m) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (40m) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (11h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (12h) : damn those vikings
beast (13h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (13h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (13h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (13h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (20h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (20h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (21h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.