dd80forever
14 years ago
The Ego thing is derived from Ted's hardheadedness. I see Ted as having to much faith in his own players to even think about bringing in outside guys, aside from a few.

It seems Ted wants to win with his guys. Is it a fair asumption, maybe not, but thats how I see it.
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago

Brett of course deserves to be in "The Ring". Will it happen while Ted Thompson is GM? Probably not, Ted Thompson won't be there long enough.

After Brett gets done playing, he will be honored in Green Bay, all the crap from last summer will be forgotten. N
o matter if or who Brett plays for this year and/or next, when he decides to finally hang up his jersey it will be as a Green Bay Packer!!!! ]

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Great answer Buckeye!

Favre will dwarf Ted Thompson in the memory of Packerdom. That sits in Ted Thompson's stomach and burns their, smoting his massive EGO.

Once Ted Thompson is gone, The Pack can return to their winning ways, and forget this chapter of massive error in Packer history.

+1

"TheOldMan" wrote:

This is why I often have a strong opinion against the so called Favre firsters. For some reason they seem to think that to support Favre is mutually exclusive from supporting the Packers and its current GM. Worse yet, many often attribute their own biases towards those that are "Ted apologists", assuming that they all wish for Favre to fail, which isn't the case for the most part.

Why is it that Favre needs to be vindicated and the Favre fiasco treated as an "error" in Packer history? What good does this achieve, other than for you and those who support your opinion to rub it in everyone's faces to say "I told you so"? Why must Thompson be forced to leave before you believe the Packers can return to winning ways?

This prejudice against Thompson is illogical, because he is the primary representative of the front office of the Green Bay Packers - to wish Thompson to fail is to wish the Packers to fail. It all seems completely petty to root against Thompson and the Packers because their fates are entwined, because Favre got the shaft.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

+50 if I could,

+1 because I can
Pack93z
14 years ago

The Ego thing is derived from Ted's hardheadedness. I see Ted as having to much faith in his own players to even think about bringing in outside guys, aside from a few.

It seems Ted wants to win with his guys. Is it a fair asumption, maybe not, but thats how I see it.

"dd80forever" wrote:

But that begs the question, if he signs a UFA doesn't that player become his player as well?

Wolf gets credit for bringing in Favre, Reggie, Jones, Dotson, Rison, Jackson, etc to Green Bay, they helped win a championship here.. aren't they Wolf players?

I don't see the angle of the argument.. whom cares how they are added.. as long as they perform the staff will get credit for bringing them aboard.. so how is it egotistical for him to decide that the cost of adding Free Agent B outweighs the production they would bring?

Watch this season as Ted will start to purge some of his drafted players for the next wave of talent.. it is their philosophy to build with youth and keep adding them in.

One can disagree with that approach, but I don't see that as ego driven.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Trippster
14 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

I think it is important for him to show faith in his guys. after all, it was his staff that drafted them.

I have also heard him on many occasions talk about how he evaluates every free agent and sees whether they are a fit for the team. he also weighs the price implications on the cap and the locker room attitude. Sometimes, those don't gel even ifthe player would be a good fit on the field.

He has also gone out and bid for the services of players only to come up short. (moss).

He has also signed free agents that have been positive contributers. (Woodson, grant, etc.)

It seems to me he looks at everything including all the variables and then makes level headed decisions.

I wouldn't say he is hard headed. I think he brought a set of values to the orginization and is sticking to those. That , my friend, is a good thing.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
dfosterf
14 years ago

But that begs the question, if he signs a UFA doesn't that player become his player as well?

Wolf gets credit for bringing in Favre, Reggie, Jones, Dotson, Rison, Jackson, etc to Green Bay, they helped win a championship here.. aren't they Wolf players?

I don't see the angle of the argument.. whom cares how they are added.. as long as they perform the staff will get credit for bringing them aboard.. so how is it egotistical for him to decide that the cost of adding Free Agent B outweighs the production they would bring?

Watch this season as Ted will start to purge some of his drafted players for the next wave of talent.. it is their philosophy to build with youth and keep adding them in.

One can disagree with that approach, but I don't see that as ego driven.

"pack93z" wrote:

Nice split job, z-- that was a bit of a toughie to figure out the "how to do", imo

On topic...

I would also like to reflect on the confirmation by Trippster of what I always [strike]suspected strongly[/strike] knew was the the way Ted conducts business/management style.

He listens to his subordinates and bases decisions on their input, as any good manager would.

It is documented, for example, that Ron Wolf operated in much the same way.

For example, when he was contemplating the acquisition of Brett Favre, Ron sought input from one of his subordinates, specifically, Ted Thompson.

Ted watched the tape Ron gave him and concurred with Ron's assessment.

We as fans forget this, but I bet Ted doesn't. As far as who is on this organization right now...

Ted is by far and away the most responsible for Brett Favre EVER having been a Green Bay Packer, and that is very much under-appreciated...imo

One thing I always concern myself with is the possibility that one of his scouts has too much influence upon Ted...in other words, he listens too much to them, not enough. I worry when we draft anyone from Tennessee, for example. :icon_smile: but that's another story.
DakotaT
14 years ago

On topic...

I would also like to reflect on the confirmation by Trippster of what I always [strike]suspected strongly[/strike] knew was the the way Ted conducts business/management style.

He listens to his subordinates and bases decisions on their input, as any good manager would.

It is documented, for example, that Ron Wolf operated in much the same way.

For example, when he was contemplating the acquisition of Brett Favre, Ron sought input from one of his subordinates, specifically, Ted Thompson.

Ted watched the tape Ron gave him and concurred with Ron's assessment.

We as fans forget this, but I bet Ted doesn't. As far as who is on this organization right now...

Ted is by far and away the most responsible for Brett Favre EVER having been a Green Bay Packer, and that is very much under-appreciated...imo

One thing I always concern myself with is the possibility that one of his scouts has too much influence upon Ted...in other words, he listens too much to them, not enough. I worry when we draft anyone from Tennessee, for example. :icon_smile: but that's another story.

"dfosterf" wrote:

That has got to be the biggest kick in the nuts a Tator could possibly take. Let's see if they answer bell.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
Records of Ted Thompson's involvement in bringing Brett Favre to Green Bay were fabricated by Satan and inserted into the organization's history to lead fans astray from the holy light of Favre.

Crisis averted. Whew!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Crap, my post was deleted. Bleh.

Anyhow. I think the convo between Ron and Ted was more so ... Ted looked at the tape and Ron asked him what he thought. Ted asked "what do you think of him?" or something like that and Ron said he really liked him and thinks he's the real thing. Ted said he agreed.

Someone please prove that wrong or confirm it. It's based off memory.

Edit, I was wrong.

Source Link 

"He came to me with three game tapes of the preseason of the Atlanta Falcons," remembers Thompson, "and he said, 'I want you to look at this quarterback. His jersey number's 4. He'll probably just play in the second half. And tell me what you think.'

"So I'm flipping through, and I had not been involved in football for several years, so I knew his name was Brett Favre, but I didn't really understand that he had been the first or second player taken in the second round (in 1991), which is a valuable draft pick. I'm just looking at him and Brett is Brett, but even more Brett. He's running all over and making great throws, and then the ball gets batted and he catches it and is running around.

"So I go back and he says, 'What do you think?' And I said, 'He looks like a guy that's a little bit raw but has a tremendous arm and great athleticism and a passion and all that.' He goes, 'Well, I'm going to give up a first-round pick for him. Do you think that's a good idea?'

"And I said, 'Well, do you think it's a pretty good idea?' And he goes, 'Yeah, I do.' And then I said, 'Then I do, too.'"

UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

Crap, my post was deleted. Bleh.

Anyhow. I think the convo between Ron and Ted was more so ... Ted looked at the tape and Ron asked him what he thought. Ted asked "what do you think of him?" or something like that and Ron said he really liked him and thinks he's the real thing. Ted said he agreed.

Someone please prove that wrong or confirm it. It's based off memory.

"SlickVision" wrote:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/thompson_ted/ 

He came to me with three game tapes of the preseason of the Atlanta Falcons," remembers Thompson, "and he said, 'I want you to look at this quarterback. His jersey number's 4. He'll probably just play in the second half. And tell me what you think.'

"So I'm flipping through, and I had not been involved in football for several years, so I knew his name was Brett Favre, but I didn't really understand that he had been the first or second player taken in the second round (in 1991), which is a valuable draft pick. I'm just looking at him and Brett is Brett, but even more Brett. He's running all over and making great throws, and then the ball gets batted and he catches it and is running around.

"So I go back and he says, 'What do you think?' And I said, 'He looks like a guy that's a little bit raw but has a tremendous arm and great athleticism and a passion and all that.' He goes, 'Well, I'm going to give up a first-round pick for him. Do you think that's a good idea?'

"And I said, 'Well, do you think it's a pretty good idea?' And he goes, 'Yeah, I do.' And then I said, 'Then I do, too.'"

Zero2Cool
14 years ago
HA I already beat you into beating me! muwhhahaha

edit, I'm questioning that quote now. Brett's first completion was to himself during a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Did he do that in the preseason for the Falcons too or did Ted Thompson misremembered when that happened?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (10h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (11h) : damn those vikings
beast (11h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (11h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (11h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (11h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (12h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (18h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (19h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.