DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I found this over at chatters. Layoff, they do have good articles sometimes.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/129876270 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
dhazer is going to avoid this like the plague.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Tiny flaw in the rationale.. you can't use the compensatory picks in trades.. so yes you get returned value but only in terms of a player selected in those slots.

The Packers won't be just giving those players away for nothing. Every free agent signed from your team nets you a compensatory draft pick in the middle rounds. More draft picks mean more ammunition for trades and more chances to hit on the right players in the draft.

Of course.. with say an extra third in the end of the round, one could use the original third in a trade package..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Maybe he meant you can ship your 3rd away because you got a compensatory 3rd?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
This article made me literally rub my hands with glee. This is EXACTLY the kind of management strategy I want for our team, and have for years. A lot of fans develop emotional attachments to specific players. I don't. My attachment is to the team, first and foremost. I want the Packers to win. The players are just pieces fit in to achieve that goal. So I never really understand it when people say things like, "I hope he gets to retire here" or "I'd really hate to see him go" for reasons other than his talent. The only reason why a player should be kept is because he's still performing at a high level and no one of equivalent or greater talent can be brought in at a reasonable price.

These guys make way too much money for me (or a good GM) to keep them around for purely sentimental reasons. They are tools in the quest for championships. If these guys really are about the team (maybe 1 in a 100 is), then they can choose to take a little less to stay wtih the team they profess to love. If they elect instead to strike out for greener pastures, best of luck to them, but I may or may not root for them (just as I root for some players who have never been Packers), but I won't grieve their departure. If they want to retire Packers, they can either stay with the organization or sign a one-day retirement deal at the end of their career.
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
14 years ago
Funny how several years ago, many, myself included, stated that we should operate the team like the Patriots, as they were/are the model in this era of free-agency. And now that it is upon us....the point where we actually DO operate like the Pats because of our across the board depth....there are going to be a lot of "screamers"....."Fucking Ted Thompson let so and so go....."

Short of your few, core, elite players, everyone is now expendable, with a replacement probably already on the roster. Let the competitions begin!!

While it will be sad to witness some players leave, this is how teams must conduct themselves for long-term, consistent performance.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Dulak
14 years ago
hmmm I would rather we keep some of the mentioned players ... offer them a resonable salery (not like what some teams are offereing players).
If they take it then good if not - ya I say let em go.

But ya I would like to keep jennings and collins ...

I cant help to cringe when thinking we will be copying the patriots - next thing you know well hire a guy with a cam-corder and binoculers and use him to spy on the opposing team.
TheOldMan
14 years ago
I love Umlauts!
Truth be known, I'm TT's baby!
TheOldMan
14 years ago

Funny how several years ago, many, myself included, stated that we should operate the team like the Patriots, as they were/are the model in this era of free-agency. And now that it is upon us....the point where we actually DO operate like the Pats because of our across the board depth....there are going to be a lot of "screamers"....."Fucking Ted Thompson let so and so go....."

Short of your few, core, elite players, everyone is now expendable, with a replacement probably already on the roster. Let the competitions begin!!

While it will be sad to witness some players leave, this is how teams must conduct themselves for long-term, consistent performance.

"digsthepack" wrote:

31-33.

I love Umlauts!
TheOldMan
14 years ago

This article made me literally rub my hands with glee. This is EXACTLY the kind of management strategy I want for our team, and have for years. A lot of fans develop emotional attachments to specific players. I don't. My attachment is to the team, first and foremost. I want the Packers to win. The players are just pieces fit in to achieve that goal. So I never really understand it when people say things like, "I hope he gets to retire here" or "I'd really hate to see him go" for reasons other than his talent. The only reason why a player should be kept is because he's still performing at a high level and no one of equivalent or greater talent can be brought in at a reasonable price.

These guys make way too much money for me (or a good GM) to keep them around for purely sentimental reasons. They are tools in the quest for championships. If these guys really are about the team (maybe 1 in a 100 is), then they can choose to take a little less to stay wtih the team they profess to love. If they elect instead to strike out for greener pastures, best of luck to them, but I may or may not root for them (just as I root for some players who have never been Packers), but I won't grieve their departure. If they want to retire Packers, they can either stay with the organization or sign a one-day retirement deal at the end of their career.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

31-33.

I love Umlauts!