Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I put this in the NFL News section because that's where it belongs. It's not about Brett or the Vikings or the Packers, but it's NFL related. And I mention this because I hope it stays on track...

My question ...

Who has it worse (for lack of a better term)? Packers Fans or Vikings Fans with Brett possibly joining the Vikings?

Packer fan : our legendary QB playing for our rival, yuck!
Viking fan : our rival's legendary QB ... near 40 and we are so desperate we need to take a QB that even THEY passed on?
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago
I think we'll have it the worst. Wherever Favre goes or doesn't go, or however he does no matter how long removed from being the Packers QB, we're going to get dragged through that mud.

Even if the Minnesota fans have to go through the whole can Favre play or not, how many INTs or TDs he throws or not, we're going to have the same thing with people comparing Favre on the Vikings with Rodgers.

Favre, at this stage in his career, is a polarising figure for Green Bay Football. Unfortunately it's for all the wrong reasons and they're, if you ask me, all distractions against the current Packers team.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
We are a year removed from the drama, most should be past a lot of the heartfelt emotions surrounding Favre.

For the Viking fans right now.. the diehard's that grew to despise Favre, the wounds are fresh and the swallowing of pride hasn't really begun yet.

I don't normally take pride in watching people squirm, however in this case where no one is really getting hurt, it is mildly enjoyable. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
15 years ago
I say Vikings fans. This whole deal has been a PITA, but at least it's in our rear-view. Sure, if he comes back we'll have to face him, but I'll admit that the Vikings really are a QB (and a coach) away from being serious contenders. It must be very frustrating. Hopefully the Packers can continue to improve and put more and more distance between them and Favregate. When Favre relaxes and mellows, be it this year, or a few years down the road, he'll realize that he's mad at Ted Thompson, and not the Packers. Then, we can all be friends again.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Packer fans. We take it personal.

Let's be realistic here. The Vikings may not be in MN within the next ten years. One of the greatest players EVER coming to MN will at least help pick up the ticket sales, even if he's a shell of what he once was.

I remember when the Niners used to suck and OJ Simpson came to the Niners. He sucked, and was a shell of what he once was, but ticket sales went up because the Niners had OJ Simpson, who was at the time the 2nd best RB ever after Jim Brown. (Then of course Wallie broke pretty much every record in the book, but nobody in 1979 saw that coming).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I think of it like this. Qb is the most important position, right? Now, my team, needs a QB, and we're so desperate for a QB, we're going to take the icon, the legendary QB of our rival because we are inept at finding our own QB. Ouch, that says to the fans ... we're freaking desperate!! What's next? Mike Vick?

Packers got 16 good years of Brett.
The Vikings at most will get 1 out of Brett and who knows how good it will be. He didn't do so hot throughout the entire season with the Jets. I also think a large part of Brett's success was due to Mike McCarthy. I don't see Childress being able to reign him in like Mike McCarthy did.

Even with having the best RB in the league and a stout defense, I'd rather be a Packers fan than a Vikings fan during this Brett saga. We have our QB of the future, they don't and won't with or without Brett.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago
I'm not quite sure they would think it that way Zero, or at least publically acknowledge as much.

A possible comment from the Vikings would be to say that "having Brett Favre on the team will give us the best possibility to win". I don't see that as much as an indictment on their current QBs or desperation, but as an act of good faith towards Brett Favre. They can portray themselves as the "saviour", allowing Brett to join a team where he feels competitive and also gives him a chance to stick it to the Packers.

If they succeed and perform well for the season, they can say, 'Brett Favre has demonstrated over this season that he's lost none of his abilities as a future HOF QB'.

If they fail and perform poorly for the season, they can say, 'Brett's had an outstanding career in the NFL, and we feel honoured he chose to play for the Vikings. When you look at a future HOF player who's still capable of playing the game, you have to consider what he could bring to the franchise.'

I don't expect them to throw their hands up and say, 'hey, you got me. We were hoping Favre could win because we certainly can't with Sagvaris Jackenfels.'
blank
porky88
15 years ago
I think Packer fans no doubt.

Not because Favre is better for the Vikings. I personally don't think he's going to make much of a difference for them because he just doesn't fit that run first style offense that Brad Childress runs, but I do believe Favre is an icon in Green Bay and clearly a Packer Legend. Playing for the rival Vikings just to get back at the Packers isn't just an insult to Ted Thompson and the regime, but many view it was an insult to the city of Green Bay and Packer Fans in general.

I'm sure Favre doesn't want it that way and I'm sure he doesn't despise Packer fans or anything like that, but that's how it feels to a lot of people.

Unless he does anything worth noting in Minnesota such as win in the post-season, nobody is going to care in Minnesota that they had Favre for a year. If he blows it, they'll just blame him and Childress and both will be run out of town. Basically, Viking fans are back to square one.

If he succeeds, Viking fans get to laugh in the faces of Packer fans forever and say we won with your guy.

That's an insult to Packer fans.

No matter what a lot of Packer fans get the shaft on this one.
Pack93z
15 years ago

If he succeeds, Viking fans get to laugh in the faces of Packer fans forever and say we won with your guy.

That's an insult to Packer fans.

"porky88" wrote:

To me, the worse insult is to turn it around and claim that the only reason they won one, after 4 defeats, is to be guided by a legendary Packer QB.

True Viking faithful are conflicted and would be retched in great pain for the Vikes to win the Superbowl with Favre at the helm.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I think for Vikings fans the best possible scenario would be for Favre to lead them to the NFC Championship game, go down in the 4th quarter with a season-ending injury, have Tavaris Jackson hand the ball off to Adrian Peterson for the win, and then let AP tear up the opposing defense in the Super Bowl for somewhere in the vicinity of 250 yards, with T-Jack contributing 70 yards or so on the ground, with a perfunctory TD pass and an INT or two.

What a media circus THAT would be!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
45m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.