Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

The late appearance of the PDB is due to me -- surprise, surprise -- doing some actual work that didn't involve BLF this morning.

I took in the first surprise stop on this year's "Packers' Tailgate Tour" at Edison Middle School in east Green Bay. An interesting event to be sure. More on that in a minute.

What was of most interest to me, and likely you, is the situation of safety Nick Collins.

For a guy who is apparently at odds with the Packers about a contract extension, it seemed strange he's pounding with the pavement with president Mark Murphy, linebacker Brady Poppinga and receiver Jordy Nelson. But there Collins was, having a grand time with the enthusiastic kids at Edison.

Got a quick couple minutes to speak with Collins after the appearance and before they jumped in the Madden Cruiser for the next stop.

Collins said his lack of attendance during off-season workouts has nothing to do with his contract.

"I had some family issues, don't really want to talk about it," Collins said. "(The family issues) are the problem."

Collins, who went to the Pro Bowl last season, is heading into the final year of his rookie contract. Collins reportedly was not going to show up to voluntary workouts until at least some progress was made on that front.

Collins, who did attend at least a few days of conditioning and meetings, said that's not true.

"The contract was never an issue," he said. "Y'all are the ones writing all that stuff about a contract. I haven't said a word about a contract so my thing is I have family issues that I'm taking care of and that's what I'm dealing with."

Collins would not say what those issues are but they do not have to do with the recent birth of his third child.

Asked if he would take part in organized team activities, Collin said he wasn't sure.

"Hopefully," Collins said. "Like I said I have family issues right now. I've been talking to the coaches and we have an understanding so we're just going to go from there."

Collins' comments about family issues seem to contradict what coach Mike McCarthy said about the situation during the recent mini-camp. McCarthy acknowledged that "business" was part of the situation with Collins.

"We respect everybody's business situations," McCarthy said. "He's going through one right now. But we do have a new defense, and Nick is a main communicator in that defense, and for him to come in here and to work with (safeties coach) Darren Perry and try to catch up on what's been going on here is important."

It is possible that McCarthy was aware of Collins' personal issues and his preference to keep them private, so McCarthy chose not to bring them up.

Collins, who will make $3.045 million this season due to escalators in his contract, said he isn't disappointed that it has been intimated his contract status will be a problem as the team gets closer to training camp.

"I can't worry about what people say," Collins said. "I can only control what Nick Collins can do and right now that's taking care of my family and learning this new defense."

As for that new defense, Collins said he has been meeting with all the coaches and will be ready to assert his role as the quarterback of the defense.

"This is a scheme that every safety wants to be in," Collins said.

"It's up to us to dedicate ourselves to the playbook, learn the communication so everybody can be on the same page so we don't have no problem throughout the season."

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I hope there isn't tension with his wife. They just had their third child, so I'd hate to think they were going through marital issues. But it could be that the newest child is sick and in need of care.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
14 years ago
And here everyone was trashing Collins 😉
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago

And here everyone was trashing Collins ;)

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

Not EVERYONE!
I didn't! :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
jdog2
14 years ago
Don't forget people were bashing Ted Thompson also
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago

"jdog2" wrote:

Some still are.......and still think they are right for doing so.
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
14 years ago

"Cheesey" wrote:

Some still are.......and still think they are right for doing so.

"jdog2" wrote:

That usually what happens when you go 6-10

I was doing a little bit of research into the teams who finished worse than The Green Bay Packers this season and was pretty surprised at what I found. Of the seven teams, four of them fired their acting General Managers and four of the teams fired their head coaches. Two of the teams: Raiders & Bengals have the GM duties performed by the owner, so of 5 available GMs for firing, only one remained after the 2008 season, Seattle General Manager, Tim Ruskell.

Lions (0-16)
General Manger - Matt Millen fired September 24, 2008: The infamous Matt Millen was finally fired this season after an 0-3 start. The Lions went on to finishing with no wins, however almost pulling out a win at Lambeau after being tied in the 4th quarter against the misguided Packers team.

Coach - Rod Marinelli fired December 26th, 2008: Marinellis fate was pretty obvious after leading his team to zero wins, setting an NFL record. He was given the pink slip shortly after almost embarrassing Ted Thompsons team at Lambeau, by pulling off the unlikely win. The Lions fell short however at the end of the game.

Chiefs (2-14)
General Manager - Carl Peterson resigned December 15th 2008: Peterson was general manager for a whopping 19 seasons, from 1989-2008 before an embarrassing 2-14 record in one of the worst divisions in football put his head on the chopping block. He was forced to resign and stepped down at the end of the 2008 season.

Coach - Herm Edwards fired January 23, 2009: Edwards was let go in 2008 after only 3 years with the Chiefs, finishing 15-33 in his tenure with Kansas City.

Bengals (4-11-1)
General Manager/Owner - Mike Brown: Mike Brown has been owner of the crappy Bengals since 1991 and has (similar to Ted Thompson) earned the ire of many fans. The grassroots movement Who Dey Revolution is picking up momentum to bring change to the desperate Midwest city. They even have put up billboards throughout the city, pretty cool idea that hopefully we see in Titletown next season.

Coach - Marvin Lewis: Lewis is starting to earn himself alot of criticism throughout Bengals fan communities as he has a career record of 46-49-1. Look for a firing if they have another poor season in 2009

Seahawks (4-12)
General Manager - Tim Ruskell. Ruskell was promoted to GM of the Seattle Seahawks in 2005. Unlike Ted Thompson, in his first season in Seattle Ruskell remade the Seahawks roster, bringing in free agents and drafting college players that played pivotal roles in the Seahawks run to Super Bowl XL and further solidifying his reputation as a master personnel executive.

Coach - Mike Holmgren resigned at the end of 2008. Former Packers master coach, Mike Holmgren publicly declared 2008 as his last season as coach of the Seahawks. He is replaced by Jim Mora for 2009.

The Seahawks were the rare exception to any GM or Head Coach firings from teams who finished poorly in 2008.

Cleveland Browns (4-12)
General Manager - Phil Savage fired December 28, 2008: Savage had been in the front office for the Browns since 1995 and has built himself up a fine following of people who want to see him removed from his position post haste.

Savage created controversy when he received an e-mail from a Browns fans during the Bills game, which read:

You are easily the worst GM in the NFL. Chud, Crennel and Tucker should NOT have jobs. How the hell do you play prevent defense the entire game? How do you NOT use Jerome Harrison more? Why the hell would you throw the ball with 6 minutes left? This is officially a regime that is worse than Butch Davis. By the way, just like last week - this email was written while the Browns still had the lead.

After the Browns held on to beat Buffalo, Savage promptly responded back to the fan with the following:

Go root for Buffalo-f@#% you-

Phil Savage was fired after the 2008 season despite his contract being extended for another 3 years.

Coach - Romeo Crennel Fired December 29, 2008: Crennel was fired after being with the Browns for 4 seasons and amassing a record of 24-40. He most likely will never be a head coach ever again.

Raiders (5-11)
General Manager/Owner - Al Davis: Al Davis has been the owner of the Oakland Raiders since 1976. He said he would not retire until the Raiders win two more Super Bowls.

Coach - Lane Kiffin Fired October 1 2008: Kiffin didnt last long. After a 4-12 2007 season, Kiffin was shown the door after starting 2008 1-3.

Jaguars (5-11)
General Manager - James Harris resigned December 23, 2008: Harris resigned (was forced out) after Jacksonville had a disastrous 2008 season and his two big off-season signings, Jerry Porter and Drayton Florence, were flops.

Coach - Jack Del Rio: Still head coach after the 5-11 season, though his overall record is 50-46 and has had some good seasons.

So, wow. First of all, it pains me to even have to compare Green Bay with the teams listed above, though it has to be done as the Packers record mandates this type of comparison. Aside from Seattle, there has been change across the board for these basement dwellers how have Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson and fat head coach Mike McCarthy avoided the axe after last season? We can all debate that question and most likely will not come to a realistic answer, but if nothing else I think this evidence foreshadows the fate of top Packer brass after another failed season. They will be removed, and that will be a tough point to argue against.

Fire Ted Thompson Now!

blank
Cheesey
14 years ago
Another bad season and i might agree with you. But one bad season? With a new QB leading the team?
Geez.......thats harsh.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
So, Nick Collins.

I hope he'll be in training camp soon, but some things are more important than football. I hope he'll work them out soon and rejoins the Packers. He seems like a really classy and smart guy.

As goes for McCarthy. Very good move to keep the private things private. Even though his answer might not've been the best option.
Dulak
14 years ago
I really liked watchin collins play last year - tough physical safety.

I was a bit pissed when I thought he was holding out; just cuz I didnt get how things work here in the nfl with contracts etc ...

glad to hear its more of a personal matter ... well not glad for collins but hopefully things work out for him.

He is one of the reasons our secondary rocked
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
30m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

34m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

40m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.