Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
We brought in Utah's QB to rookie camp? Sweet! Utah was the team that by any sane standard should have been the champion last year. NCAA D-I football is the only sport in the world in which the only undeafeated team can end up not being the champion.

Packers invite two QBs to rookie camp 

By Rob Demovsky April 27, 2009

Theres a decent chance that neither one will end up sticking around, but the Green Bay Packers plan to look at a pair of intriguing quarterback prospects this weekend.

They have invited Utahs Brian Johnson and Tulsas David Johnson to take part in this weekends rookie orientation camp.

The Packers didnt draft a quarterback last weekend, and there wasnt one among the 10 rookie free agents they signed shortly after the draft. So, as coach Mike McCarthy put it, unless were going to run the ball all day, the Packers needed a couple of arms for the three-day session.

Neither player was invited to the NFLs scouting combine despite highly successful senior seasons.

Utahs Johnson (6-foot-1, 211 pounds) helped his team to a 13-0 season. Along the way, he threw for 27 touchdowns and only nine interceptions, completed 68.0 percent of his passes and was named Mountain West conference player of the year.

A backup to eventual No. 1 overall draft pick Alex Smith in 2004, he became a starter the next season but blew out a knee in the 10th game of the season. He missed all of the 2006 season and the first two games of 2007 before returning as the starter. He went 21-2 in his final two seasons as the starter.

Upon hearing the Packers were giving his quarterback a tryout, Utah offensive coordinator Dave Schramm said: Theyd be crazy not to sign him.

That might be unlikely unless the Packers plan to bring four quarterbacks to training camp. Last year, with Aaron Rodgers and then rookies Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn, they had only three.

Schramm described Johnson as smart, tough and accurate.

I wouldnt be surprised if he played 10 years in the NFL, Schramm said. Hes just one of those guys, I compare him to Jeff Garcia, thats so competitive.

He described Johnsons arm strength as good, but not great, which is probably the reason he has gone unsigned. Also, NFL teams have become leery of quarterbacks who come from the so-called spread offense systems.

Tulsas Johnson (6-2, 217) also ran a version of the spread, often employing the no-huddle offense, but offensive coordinator Herb Hand said it was more like a West Coast offense.

Our deal requires a quarterback to be a coach on the field, Hand said. He understands the game, has great knowledge of the game and knows what were trying to accomplish.

At Tulsa, he was a three-year backup behind Paul Smith (currently with the Jacksonville Jaguars) before getting his shot to start last season. He threw for 4,059 yards with 46 touchdowns and 18 interceptions, including five in the Conference USA title game against East Carolina.

For a while, he was leading the country in passing efficiency until he fell off a little late in the season, Hand said. Hes got a strong arm, a very strong arm, and I think hes got a good shot to catch on, but its got to be the right situation.

Among the other players expected to be at the rookie camp on a tryout basis are: center Scott Witte of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, defensive end Rhyan Anderson of New Mexico State and tight end Brandon Ledbetter of Western Michigan.

They will join the eight players the Packers drafted last week and the class of undrafted free agents, which includes five receivers.

Contrary to a published report and a statement from his school, Union College (Ky.) linebacker Willie Williams has not signed with the Packers, nor is it believed the team will sign him.

A look at the 10 undrafted free agents:

Andy Brodell (6-3, 202), WR, Iowa: Sustained a torn hamstring as a junior against Wisconsin and missed the rest of the season. Before that, was a budding star who as a sophomore had six catches for 159 yards in the Alamo Bowl against Texas.

JaRon Harris (6-1, 200), WR, South Dakota State: Caught 70 passes for 966 yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior at SDSU.

Kole Heckendorf (6-2, 191), WR, North Dakota State: Mosinee native who finished his career as NDSUs leader in receptions (178) and receiving yards (2,732).

Jamarko Simmons (6-2, 241), WR, Western Michigan: Originally recruited as a running back but converted to receiver as sophomore and had a big senior year (104 catches, 1,276 yards, seven touchdowns).

Patrick Williams (6-2, 915), WR, Colorado: Part-time starter who caught 30 passes for 332 yards and two touchdowns as a senior.

Tyrell Sutton (5-8, 211), RB, Northwestern: Made a big splash as a freshman (1,474 yards, 16 touchdowns) but production dropped as injuries (shoulder, leg, ankle, wrist) mounted.

Carson Butler (6-5, 250), TE/DE, Michigan: Switched from tight end to defensive end midway through last season.

Andy Hartline (6-4, 290), T, Central Michigan: Four-year starter who spent the first two seasons at right tackle and last two at left tackle.

Ron Talley (6-3, 282), DE, Delaware: Transferred after two seasons at Notre Dame.

Evan Dietrich-Smith, C, Idaho State: Three-year starter has played right tackle, left tackle and left guard.

Also, the Packers waived center Brennen Carvalho, an undrafted free agent in 2008 who spent all of last season on the practice squad.

UserPostedImage
dd80forever
15 years ago
Ted sure like him some "Johnson"

Anyways the Guy from Tulsa has a better shot than the one from Utah IMO.
blank
gakko
15 years ago
these guys are only there to throw the ball because we didn't draft a QB and the QBs already on our roster can't participate in rookie camp.
blank
RaiderPride
15 years ago
Thank the Father, Son and Holy Spirit that young Aaron is not a primadona.

Other wise he might take a signing of young QB's, as bad as.... well... other QB's in the history of the Packers have when they signed a young QB.

Let's hope Aaron will show up for the QB school and will not sulk on his farm (If he has one.) at the signing of these fellers. Let's hope he will focus and not worry about the conceived dis respect of bringing in any other player who might be playing the same position.

Naw.... Forget it. It will never happen. Aaron is not like that.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
gakko
15 years ago
they are not signed.
blank
TengoJuego
15 years ago
Who was the guy we had in camp 2 years ago? He was black I believe. I cant remember who it was. I keep thinking he was from Texas A&M but I cant put a name to his face.

Anyway I see Brian Johnson being a case similar to that.
FloridaPacker88
15 years ago
You thinking of Paul Thompson? he was from Oklahoma I believe.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago
As gakko mentioned, they'll definitely sign someone and the reason isn't to compete as a potential starter one day. Though I guess nothing is set in stone.
blank
dd80forever
15 years ago

Thank the Father, Son and Holy Spirit that young Aaron is not a primadona.

Other wise he might take a signing of young QB's, as bad as.... well... other QB's in the history of the Packers have when they signed a young QB.

Let's hope Aaron will show up for the QB school and will not sulk on his farm (If he has one.) at the signing of these fellers. Let's hope he will focus and not worry about the conceived dis respect of bringing in any other player who might be playing the same position.

Naw.... Forget it. It will never happen. Aaron is not like that.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Nice Bait. No Bites.
blank
El3ment12
15 years ago
He could be a gem if he led his team to 13-0..
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.