millertime
15 years ago
People complain about giving up the two thirds, without tkaing into account that this was considered a weak draft by most experts. These guys from the thrd round might have been fourth or fifth rounders in a stronger draft.
I mean, who would have you guys have really wanted in the third if we kept those picks ( i put them in bold)?

1 Shonn Greene RB Jets
2 Bradley Fletcher DB Rams
3 Alex Magee DT Chiefs
4 Jarron Gilbert DT Bears
5 Jason Williams OLB Cowboys
6 Michael Johnson DE Bengals
7 Matt Shaughnessy DE Raiders
8 Terrance Knighton DT Jaguars
9 Derek Cox DB Jaguars
10 Glen Coffee RB 49ers
11 Robert Brewster OT Cowboys
12 DeAndre Levy OLB Lions 54
13 Antoine Caldwell C Texans
14 Louis Vasquez OG Chargers
15 Kraig Urbik OG Steelers
16 Kevin Barnes DB Redskins
17 Roy Miller DT Buccaneers
18 Derrick Williams WR Lions
19 Brandon Tate WR Patriots
20 Mike Wallace WR Steelers
21 Ramses Barden WR Giants
22 Asher Allen DB Vikings
23 Patrick Turner WR Dolphins
24 Ladarius Webb DB Ravens
25 Jared Cook TE Titans 83
26 Chris Owens DB Falcons 49
27 Deon Butler WR Seahawks 53
28 Jerraud Powers DB Colts 59
29 Corvey Irvin DT Panthers 69
30 Ryan Mouton DB Titans 56
31 Rashad Johnson S Cardinals
32 Keenan Lewis DB Steelers
33 Tyrone McKenzie OLB Patriots
34 Chase Coffman TE Bengals
35 Juaquin Iglesias WR Bears
36 Travis Beckum TE Giants

Jarron Gilbert was gone before we picked. We don't need any receivers or RBs. Most the TE were receiver-types which we already have in Finley. So th guys that thought we gave up too much should say who we could have picked that would have helped more than Matthews.
Pack93z
15 years ago
To be fair.. would we have picked those same two players in those spots.. doubt it.

So to make a accurate statement, one would have to look what was still on the board at those picks.

Personally, the second day slide of some players offset the fact that we did actually over paid by a third round pick IMO.

The trade should have been our 2nd and (A) 3rd and a 6th or 7th for that 1st rounders.. and they keep their 5th..

In the end, it worked out.. but regardless we paid enough for that pick.. and I won't change my mind about it. And I still give this draft an A for the Pack.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
millertime
15 years ago

To be fair.. would we have picked those same two players in those spots.. doubt it.

So to make a accurate statement, one would have to look what was still on the board at those picks.

Personally, the second day slide of some players offset the fact that we did actually over pay by a third round pick IMO.

The trade should have been our 2nd and (A) 3rd and a 6th or 7th for that 1st rounders.. and they keep their 5th..

In the end, it worked out.. but regardless we paid enough for that pick.. and I won't change my mind about it. And I still give this draft an A for the Pack.

"pack93z" wrote:

I know we wouldn't have picked those players. I was just showing who was drafted around where our picks would have been for reference. I wouldn't have been surprised if Ted Thompson picked TJ Lang with one of our third as he plays a position of need and was projected in that range. Meredith as well had 2nd-4th round projections so we were lucky he slipped to us in the late 5th.
Pack93z
15 years ago
And what I am saying is Cook, Coffman or Miller in that segment would have been prime potential picks for us.. But since we didn't have a third we didn't have any opportunity to have one of them on our team..

And I am not complaining.. just merely saying it was a heavy price to pay.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
longtimefan
15 years ago
again why is it okay for people to want Ted to over pay for a free agent but not okay to over pay for a draft pick?
DakotaT
15 years ago

again why is it okay for people to want Ted to over pay for a free agent but not okay to over pay for a draft pick?

"longtimefan" wrote:

Now you went and did it. :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

"longtimefan" wrote:

Because a free agent is proven, a rookie is not. (figured id throw that one out there so you can debunk it sooner)
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
15 years ago
I thought Ted Thompson overpaid, but obviously they like him. He used Ron Wolf's philosiphy, "if you want a player go after him". Sorta like trading a #1 for a QB that was drafted in the 2nd round, that liked to drink, party, was overweight and had no posiive player results. I just hope he turns out as good or better than they expect or as good as that QB trade.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
longtimefan
15 years ago

"SlickVision" wrote:

Because a free agent is proven, a rookie is not. (figured id throw that one out there so you can debunk it sooner)

"longtimefan" wrote:

I KNEW that was the argument..Should have put that in there

With that said..

A free agent signing is proven but also is set in his own ways and might be hard to make into what you need..

Where as a drafted player is going to ( at least I hope) going to do what it is the coaches ask of him and sort of you can mold him into the player you want

Now, a free agent is going to cost how much? Compared to a drafted player?

Results in the DEAL end up being the same

over spending
porky88
15 years ago
Honestly, I think GB would've picked the same players round three that they did in four and five.

Maybe not the FB, but Lang was a nice solid get for them.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (4h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (5h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (22h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (22h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (22h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (23h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.