Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Brad Jones | Linebacker | Colorado | 6'3" - 232 lbs.

AT COLORADO: 2008 (Sr.)--He started all 12 games at outside linebacker, earning honorable mention All-Big 12 honors from both the Associated Press and the league coaches; he was second-team All-Colorado by the state's chapter of the National Football Foundation. He was CU's co-defensive player of the year, as selected by the coaches (Dave Jones Award). He played the third most snaps on defense (707), racking up 78 tackles, of which 48 were solo and 14 for losses, including seven sacks (the latter two both team highs). He also led the team in quarterback hurries with 14 and was second in third down stops (12). He also forced two fumbles, had a pass breakup and three chasedowns (near sacks). He matched his career high of 10 tackles against West Virginia (five solo), had six tackles or more in eight games and at least one tackle for loss in nine games. He was CU's defensive player of the week for the Kansas State game, when he had four tackles (one solo), a forced fumble, and the second most hurries for a single game in school history--seven. He closed his career with nine tackles at Nebraska, which including eight solo stops, three for losses and two sacks. His 242 career tackles rank 35th at Colorado.

2007 (Jr.)--He started all 13 games including the Independence Bowl at the "sam" outside linebacker position, playing steady all season long as he got the job done without a lot of flash. He posted 72 tackles on the year (45 solo), with six for losses including a pair of quarterback sacks. He also had nine third down stops, seven hurries, five tackles for zero and three passes broken up. Though it didn't count in the statistics, he had a huge sack at Texas Tech, thwarting a two-point conversion try that kept the Buff lead at 12 (31-19) in the second half. He matched his career high with 10 tackles (seven solo) at Arizona State, and he posted nine stops against Missouri and had eight on two occasions, versus Colorado State and Kansas. He had his sacks against Texas Tech and Nebraska. He earned CU's Male Athlete of the Week honors for the Miami-Ohio game, when he had six tackles (four solo), one tackle for loss, another for zero, two hurries and two third down stops. He added two unassisted tackles on special teams duty. In the bowl game against Alabama, he had 10 tackles, seven solo and two for losses, with a pass broken up.

2006 (Soph.)--Played in all 12 games, starting 11 (only non-start came when CU opened in a nickel defense against Texas Tech. In playing the fourth most snaps from scrimmage on defense (644), he finished third on the team in tackles with 72 (41 solo). He had five or more tackles in nine games, including a season- and career-high 10 in the win over Iowa State. He had nine in the loss to Baylor, with a season best eight solo, with eight stops against Arizona State and seven each in the Georgia and Oklahoma games. Though he had a season-low two stops at Kansas, he did make his first career interception against the Jayhawks. He had six third down stops on the season, and he was credited with half a quarterback sack against Iowa State, the first of his career. He also had two hurries and a pass broken up.

2005 (Fr.-RS)--He played in all 13 games, including the Champs Sports Bowl (no starts), seeing action for 198 plays from scrimmage. He had 20 tackles on the year, including 16 solo and one for a loss, to go with two third down stops, a quarterback hurry and pass broken up. He had a season and career high seven tackles (five unassisted) in the regular season game at Texas, and also posted three against Kansas and the Longhorns the second time around. He also had five special team points, as he recorded two tackles, one inside-the-20, and two knockdown blocks on returns.

2004 (Fr.)--Redshirted; did not see any game action but practiced at outside linebacker the entire season.

HIGH SCHOOL--As a senior captain and team MVP, he was a first-team all-state selection and all-state Dream Team performer by the Detroit Free Press, when the Lansing State Journal also named him the Defensive Player of the Year. The runner-up for State Player of the Year (Class A), PrepStar selected him to its all-Midwest team as an athlete, while SuperPrep and Prep Football Report put him on their all-Midwest squads. PFR, who called him "an excellent defender with tremendous instincts," also ranked him as the No. 62 player overall in the Midwest (12th LB), as he was a Lindy's preseason Top 100 performer (one of 15 'backers). During his senior and junior years he earned first-team all-conference (Capitol Area Athletic Conference), all-area and all-area Dream Team honors by the Lansing State Journal. The Detroit Free Press made him an all-state special mention honoree his junior year, as he also earned a spot on the all-conference first-team when he was a sophomore. As a senior, he recorded 117 total tackles (79 solo), 18 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, two fumble recoveries (including one for a 70-yard touchdown), five forced fumbles, four interceptions (with one going for a 30-yard touchdown), 15 quarterback hurries and six pass deflections. On offense, where he also started at tight end, he reeled in 27 passes and five touchdowns for 501 yards. As a junior and dual starter once again, he compiled 110 total tackles (62 solo), 11 stuffs for loss, five sacks, four fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles, two interceptions, five quarterback pressures, three pass breakups and one blocked field goal. He also caught 12 balls and one touchdown totaling 280 yards. During his sophomore season, he finished with 99 total stops (42 solo), six tackles for loss, two sacks, one recovered fumble, one interception, three quarterback hurries and one pass deflection, while also netting one reception for 30 yards. Top games: In a win over Holt as a sophomore he had 18 tackles (13 solo), two tackles for loss and one pass deflection. Against Lowell in a six-point loss his senior year, he racked up 16 stops (13 solo), three tackles for loss, one sack and one forced fumble all while adding three receptions for 95 yards and one score. With a 38-37 victory over Haslett in 2003, he finished with 18 total tackles (11 solo), three tackles for loss, one forced fumble and one interception, which he returned for the 30-yard touchdown. He also totaled 85 yards and one touchdown on five catches. Under coach Jeff Smith, East Lansing was the 9-2 conference champs his senior year, 6-4 his junior season and 13-1 his sophomore year, losing in the second round of the state playoffs. He lettered four years in track, as he competed in the 200-meter dash (21.7 career best) and the 110 hurdles (14.32), earning all-area and all-regional runner-up honors as a junior. He also played basketball as a freshman and sophomore.

ACADEMICS--He graduated in December 2008 with a degree in Economics. He boasted a 3.1 grade point average in high school and was an honor roll student, and was named a Detroit Free-Press Scholar-Athlete for all sports in 2003-04.

PERSONAL--He was born April 1, 1986 in Lansing, Mich. His father (Don) played linebacker at Indiana from 1974-78, while an older brother (Preston) is a senior running back at Arizona State. Hobbies include swimming and playing the viola.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
Isn't 232 pounds kind of smallish for a 3-4 LB? I wonder if they will ask him to bulk up a little. Seems like a longshot to contribute, but you could say that about most seventh round picks.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

7th Round: Brad Jones, OLB, Colorado
The Packers wrapped up their draft by selecting Colorado outside linebacker Brad Jones with the 218th overall pick.

Jones (6-foot-3, 230 pounds) was a three-year starter and an all-Big 12 honorable mention last season.

UPDATE, 5:31 p.m.: Jones is on the phone ...

* Expect to be drafted this low? Doesn't put much thought into it. Heard from teams beginning in the fourth round.

* What defense/positions play at Colorado: Pretty much 3-4. Played outside linebacker. Really versatile. Sometimes three-point stance, sometimes drop back like safety, cover tight ends.

* Much contact with Packers, and what's role? There was contact. Thought would fit nicely into the scheme. Asked to do same sort of role played in college.

* How much weigh? 238.

* What do you do best? "I think I do a lot of things well. I think I definitely have a knack for rushing the passer, definitely." But cover tight ends well, too. Playing on the edge in general.

* Feel like had best season as senior? Definitely. Outside linebacker position, coaches adapted to his skills in senior season.

* Father played in college, how much influence? Played at Indiana. Played OLB, too. Followed in footsteps. "He's influenced me. He's the one who got me ... loving it from when I was young."

* Recruited at all by Michigan State? Yes, offered scholarship. Out of high school, wanted to get away from home, didn't want to stay so close.

* Gain weight, up to 250 pounds? "Gaining weight is not a problem at all."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 
UserPostedImage
sangill
15 years ago
After watching the video on this guy, I can't help liking him a lot.

I really hope he makes the team. Would be a nice project to have arround and maybe contribute in 2 years time.
blank
Tiger
15 years ago

Isn't 232 pounds kind of smallish for a 3-4 LB? I wonder if they will ask him to bulk up a little. Seems like a longshot to contribute, but you could say that about most seventh round picks.

"Greg C." wrote:

yah buts hes got wheels and is more of a coverage LB
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
Watch this kid take on some blocks in this highlight... against some good competition.. I will be spending more time on studying up on this player this week... and watch him close at 1:39 of this clip.. WOW.

Highlight tapes are deceiving.. need to study more on this kid.

[youtube]nrzpNvZtt64[/youtube]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Arles
15 years ago
Eesh, that video worries me a bit. In most of the plays, he hits backs way too high. Maybe because of his strength in college and the size of backs he faced, but you will get nothing but bruises if you try and tackle Brandon Jacobs, Peterson or Forte at the shoulder pads.

Hopefully the first thing Greene does with this kid is to have him lower his pad level when tackling.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago

Eesh, that video worries me a bit. In most of the plays, he hits backs way too high. Maybe because of his strength in college and the size of backs he faced, but you will get nothing but bruises if you try and tackle Brandon Jacobs, Peterson or Forte at the shoulder pads.

Hopefully the first thing Greene does with this kid is to have him lower his pad level when tackling.

"Arles" wrote:

That is a bit worrisome I agree... but he attacks plays.. something we are missing currently with the roster of backers we have.. someone that will fight through a block and attack.

Like I said.. these highlight clips are deceiving.. but at least he has the attack mode capability.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Mortfini
15 years ago
if he sheds blocks well (in the vids he does) then maybe back up for Hawk and barnett?
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
15 years ago
I like what I see from the highlight videos of him. He looks like a good athlete and he's aggressive. Tackling form can be coached up. I think he's got a good shot at being a competent backup/role player. As someone pointed out, highlight films can be deceiving so it'd be nice to see video of him making mistakes too.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (7h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (12h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (12h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.