Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Quinn Johnson | Fullback | Louisiana State | 6'1" - 250 lbs.

OVERVIEW
With Jacob Hester having graduated, Johnson, a former linebacker, finally got the opportunity to be the Tigers' full-time starter at fullback. Prior to the 2006 season, the coaches approached the then sophomore and asked him to move to the offensive side of the ball. He was reluctant to make the move, but the staff promised that he would get much more playing time than he did during a trying freshman season on defense.

Johnson loves to hit, so lead blocking for the Tigers physical running game turned out to be a perfect fit. Despite playing on a team that featured standout offensive linemen like Herman Johnson and Ciron Black, he ranked second on the team with eleven touchdown-resulting blocks in 2008.

At West St. John High School, Johnson was regarded as one of the top prep linebackers in the state. He was a member of the Baton Rouge Advocate Super Dozen as well as being selected to the New Orleans Times-Picayune's Top 20 Blue- Chip list. He earned All-District honors in 2002 after making 122 tackles.

Along with present LSU teammate, defensive lineman Tyson Jackson, Johnson helped lead his team to a 14-1 record and the state Class 2A championship in 2003. He also saw action at fullback, rushing for 800 yards and eleven touchdowns as a junior.

In 2004, Johnson redshirted at Louisiana State, where he competed on the scout team as an outside linebacker. He appeared in just one contest the following season, recording one solo tackle in the Mississippi State. He shifted to fullback in 2006, appearing in twelve games, but carried just twice for 6 yards.

With Jacob Hester shuffling between fullback and tailback in 2007, Johnson had the opportunity to start four of the fourteen games he appeared in. He did not get a chance to carry the pigskin, but caught three balls for 21 yards and posted 35 knockdowns.

Johnson started ten games as a senior. He scored three times on fourteen rushing attempts, producing 28 yards (2.0 avg). He registered 72 knockdowns and caught a pair of passes for 33 yards. He also recovered two on side kicks for 14 yards in returns.

CAREER NOTES
Johnson started 14-of-40 games at Louisiana State, carrying the ball sixteen times for 34 yards (2.13 avg) and two touchdowns... Caught five passes for 54 yards (10.8 avg) and had two kickoff returns for 14 yards... Recorded five tackles (3 solos) and collected 107 knock-downs, including fifteen touchdown-resulting blocks.

2008 SEASON
Johnson started ten games, coming off the bench vs. North Texas, Florida and Mississippi while appearing in thirteen contests... Carried fourteen times for 28 yards (2.0 avg) and three touchdowns, but also turned the ball over on a fumble...Caught two passes for 33 yards (16.5 avg) and returned two kickoffs for 14 yards (7.0 avg)...Made 72 knockdowns, including eleven touchdown-resulting blocks.

2007 SEASON
Johnson appeared in all fourteen games, starting at fullback vs. Florida, Kentucky, Auburn and Alabama... Did not carry the ball, but caught three passes for 21 yards (7.0 avg)... Also had 35 knockdown blocks... Had a 9-yard reception in each of the Tennessee and South Carolina contests... Added a 3-yarder vs. Ohio State in the BCS National Championsh ip Game...Made an impact on special teams where he teamed with Mit Cole and Lazarius Livingston to form "the shield" on punts.

2006 SEASON
Played in 12 games, contributing primarily on special teams...Recorded four tackles (2 solos) in that capacity...Also rushed the ball twice for six yards.

2005 SEASON
Played in one game as a reserve outside linebacker... Saw action in Louisiana State's win over Mississippi State, recording one solo tackle in the win over the Bulldogs.

2004 SEASON
Redshirted as a true freshman in 2004.

AGILITY TESTS
4.82 in the 40-yard dash (4.72 on campus)...1.6110-yard dash...2.76 20-yard dash (2.69 on campus)...4.58 20-yard shuttle...7.65 three-cone drill... 32-inch vertical jump... 9'7 broad jump... Bench pressed 225 pounds 16 times... 32 1/4-inch arm length... 10 1/4-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended West St. John (Edgard, La.) High School, playing football for head coach Laury Dupont... Regarded as one of the top prep linebackers in the state... Member of the Baton Rouge Advocate Super Dozen as well as the New Orleans Times-Picayune's Top 20 Blue-Chip list. Earned All-District honors in 2002 after making 122 tackles... Along with present LSU teammate, defensive lineman Tyson Jackson, Johnson helped lead his team to a 14-1 record and the state Class 2A championship in 2003...Also saw action at fullback, rushing for 800 yards and eleven touchdowns as a junior.

PERSONAL
Communication Studies and Sports Studies major... Son of Merita and Arthur Johnson... Born Quinn Marcus Johnson on 9/30/86 in New Orleans, Louisiana... Resides in Edgard, Louisiana.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
I was surprised that Ted took a fullback. We already have two decent ones, and Ted spent a mid-round pick on one of them, Korey Hall, just a few years ago. But if this guy is a real sledgehammer maybe he will be worth it.
blank
Rockmolder
15 years ago
A good player, BPA on Ted Thompson's board, I asume. Not the best pick to bemade though, imo.

The big question now is though, who will we keep? I can't imagine the Pack going into the season with 3 FBs on the roster and they're to good to put on the practice squad. Maybe a trade anytime soon? Or will we just dump one of them?
Greg C.
15 years ago
Kuhn will probably be the odd man out. They re-signed him kind of by default, I think, because no other teams had an interest in him. Hall probably has a little more upside.
blank
Tezzy
15 years ago
I don't know about Hall and Kuhns college history enough. But I love how Johnson was originally a linebacker, love bringing that defensive hitter mentality to the offensive side of the ball.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Bigbyfan
15 years ago

I don't know about Hall and Kuhns college history enough. But I love how Johnson was originally a linebacker, love bringing that defensive hitter mentality to the offensive side of the ball.

"Tezzy" wrote:

Hall was also a linebacker in college at Boise State, Kuhn's college experience was as a guy who actually carried the ball.
blank
Arles
15 years ago
Scouts Inc. Grade: 40 (6th round), #3 FB

6;1, 246, 4.78 40

Overall Football Traits

Production 3
2004: LSU red-shirts Johnson who lines up at linebacker. 2005: Johnson appears on special teams against Mississippi State and records one tackle. 2006: Johnson moves to fullback and appears in 12 games primarily in a special teams' role. He carries the ball twice for a total of six yards and records three tackles. 2007: Johnson starts five of the 14 games he appears in. He doesn't record any carries but catches three passes for a total of 21 yards. 2008: Johnson starts 10 of the 13 games he appears in rushing for a total of 28 and three touchdowns on 14 carries. He catches two passes for a total of 33 yards.

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Prototypical height, prototypical bulk and adequate top-end speed.

Durability 1
Durability is not a concern to our knowledge.

Character 2
Character is not a concern to our knowledge.

Fullback specific Traits

Blocking 3
Does good job of rolling hips into blocks, strong and flashes the ability to knock defenders back on contact. Doesn't get great hand placement and fails to lock on at times so has some problems sustaining blocks.

Vision 2
Does an adequate job of reading his keys. Flashes the ability to locate secondary target when primary target doesn't show but a bit inconsistent in this area.

Athletic Ability 4
Stiff in the hips and has problems adjusting to moving targets at the second level. Struggles to plant and change directions smoothly.

Running Skills 3
Runs with low pad level and can churn out tough yards between the tackles. Lost a fumble during 2008 Mississippi State game. Lacks elusiveness and won't make many defenders miss in the open field.

Receiving Skills 4
Hands are adequate at best. Takes too long to get into routes and lacks the burst to separate from the coverage coming out of breaks.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Mel Kiper stated that he thinks this was the best pick of the 5th round.

I like it too. I think it will address the short yardage situations we've been struggling with the past couple of years. Maybe we can say goodbye to our difficulties punching the ball into the end zone from inside the 5.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

5th Round: LSU FB Quinn Johnson
The Packers have selected LSU fullback Quinn Johnson with the first of their two fifth-round picks (No. 145 overall).

Johnson (6-foot-1, 246 pounds) converted from linebacker after his freshman season and played in 39 games over the past three years. He started 14 games including 10 as a senior, when he carried the ball 14 times for 28 yards and three touchdowns and recorded 72 knockdown blocks.

According to the NFL-issued scouting report, Johnson compares to Miami's Lousaka Polite. "Johnson is a punishing lead blocker who loves to hit. He lacks any sort of running or receiving skills, which will limit how a team will use him."

The Packers' next pick is No. 162, which they acquired from New England is Saturday's big trade.

UPDATE, 1:36 p.m.: Johnson's on the phone with the media. He speaks very, very quickly. Sounds nervous.

* On going from defense to offense: "It was just something that came very easily to me." Played both in high school.

* Preference, offense or defense? "I really like offense, because that's what scores the points."

* Why move? Coaches moved him after Les Miles took over.

* Why didn't get ball much in college: "I guess it just wasn't in the scheme of the plays that we were running."

* Can catch ball out of backfield? "Definitely."

* Had shoulder injury at combine. Lingering? "That's not a problem at all right now. I'm 100 percent healthy."

* Relationship with Matt Flynn? Talked a few weeks before pro day. Talked about players, etc. "Everything's good about it."

* What like about playing fullback? "I love the contact."

* Any idea the Packers were interested? "Yes sir. I talked to Alonzo Highsmith." Been excited ever since.

* Relationship with Tyson Jackson? "Me and Tyson Jackson, we're like brothers." Talked after Jackson was selected at No. 3. Celebrated with him.

* Compare/contrast to Jacob Hester: Did best to model game after Hester and learn from him.

UPDATE, 1:39 p.m.: Video ...

UPDATE Running backs coach Edgar Bennett on Johnson ...

* What like? "Great attitude, tough kid, physical and very aggressive."

* Like William Henderson? Has similar toughness. Creates competition.

* Like getting another guy? "Competition makes your team stronger. So, to get a kid like this certainly would put us in a position to add into the mix and compete."

* How well move? Thinks can catch, can run in short yardage and goal line.

* Incorporating more man runs? Zone is core, but there are a number of things used. "Having a kid like this with the addition of Korey and John, again, it just makes more competition for the group."

* Have ability to move feet as needed in zone scheme? "He has shown the ability to make the necessary adjustments. That shows up, but also as far as his power on initial contact." That's important for fullback.

* How important is attitude? "No. 1, it's a physical mind-set. It's a tone-setting mind-set. ... It's going to be a physical position, where we're going to be asking you to go nose-to-numbers." Have to be physical, aggressive, and does have toughness.

* Any similarities between Hall and Johnson? Some. Hall's tough, made same transition.

* Run more with fullback? Went to it last year some, will look into again this year. "I think this kid has shown some capability to carry the football in those situations."

* Work out personally? No.

* Potential special-teams guy? "Certainly. ... You add another guy that can run, that can tackle ... it just adds another piece to the puzzle."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
When you put this pick together with the pick of that big tackle from Eastern Michigan, is anybody else wondering if we are moving more and more toward a power running scheme? I hope we are.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (now) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (2m) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (45m) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (59m) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (11h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (13h) : damn those vikings
beast (13h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (13h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (13h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (13h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (20h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (21h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.