Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
http://www.packers.com/draft/2009/lang.phtml 

T.J. Lang | Guard/Tackle | Eastern Michigan | 6'4" - 316 lbs.

OVERVIEW
Originally recruited as a defensive lineman, Lang has made a remarkable transformation over the last three years since being moved to the offensive front wall. Despite coming into his own as a tackle in 2008, many professional scouts feel that his drive blocking ability, reach and quick hand placement could see him shift inside to guard or center in the National Football League.

Since moving positions, Lang went on to start 36 consecutive games, including his last 26 at the demanding left tackle slot. While lined up at that position, he registered 169 knock-downs and 21 touchdown-resulting blocks during his junior and senior campaigns. Playing with a defensive lineman's experience has also been beneficial, as he produced sixteen tackles (8 solos) and blocked two kicks during his 43-game career at EMU.

Lang began his prep career at Lakeland High School, lettering in both football and baseball as a sophomore. He transferred to Brother Rice High as a junior, where he helped the team to the state finals and was named the squad's Most Improved Lineman.

As a senior, Lang started on both lines. He earned All-State Division II first-team honors and was ranked 33rd on the Fab 50 list of the Detroit Free Press, adding All-North accolades from that news service. He was named his team's Lombardi Award winner as the Most Outstanding Lineman and was nominated for the Gatorade Player of the Year award in the state of Michigan.

In his final prep campaign, Lang recorded 93 tackles (59 solos) with 8.5 quarterback sacks and one fumble recovery, making the Associated Press All-State Division II squad. He also won the Defensive Line award at the University of Michigan 2004 summer camp.

In 2005, Lang was one of seven true freshmen to letter at Eastern Michigan. He appeared in all eleven games, seeing action in seven contests on defense while starting the season opener vs. Cincinnati at left defensive tackle. He finished the season with eleven tackles (4 solos), as he assisted on a stop behind the line of scrimmage and blocked a kick vs. Western Michigan.

As a sophomore, Lang switched to the offensive line, starting ten contests at right tackle and two more on the left side. He also switched from jersey #93 that he wore in 2005 to #50 for the rest of his career. He posted 74 knockdowns with seven touchdown-resulting blocks and was named Player of the Game vs. Louisiana-Lafayette. He also collected three tackles.

Lang started all twelve games at left tackle in 2007, delivering 83 knockdowns and ten touchdown-resulting blocks. He also blocked a kick and recorded a solo tackle. The team averaged 337.5 yards in total offense as the front wall ranked second in the Mid-American Conference, allowing just 1.42 quarterback sacks per game, the 24th-best figure in the nation.

As a senior, Lang again manned the left tackle slot in all twelve games, garnering All-Mid American Conference recognition. He registered eleven touchdown-resulting blocks to go with 86 knockdowns, as he also came up with a solo tackle, but turned the ball over after handling a reception for a 4-yard loss. The Eagles relied on him protecting the blind side, as EMU ranked 20th nationally in passing, averaging 269.33 yards per game.

CAREER NOTES
As an offensive lineman, Lang started 26 games at left tackle and ten more on the right side, producing 243 knockdowns and 28 touchdown-resulting blocks... Over his final two seasons, he recorded 21 touchdown-resulting blocks, 169 knockdowns and 17 down field blocks, grading 81.67% for blocking consistency... Allowed seven quarterback sacks and nine pressures on 860 pass plays... For his career, he collected sixteen tackles (8 solos) with an assisted stop for a 3-yard loss and blocked a pair of kicks.

2008 SEASON
All-Mid American Conference first-team and Super Sleeper Team selection by The NFL Draft Report, adding second-team All-MAC honors from the league's coaches... Earned the Harold E. Sponberg Award, given annually to the top down lineman scholar-athlete... Lined up at left offensive tackle, coming up with 86 knockdowns, eleven touchdown-resulting blocks and nine down field blocks, grading 83.08% for blocking consistency... Penalized three times and handled a reception for a4-yard loss (turned the ball over on a fumble) while also making a solo tackle...Allowed 4.5 quarterback sacks and three pressures on 499 pass plays... Helped the team rank 20th in the nation and third in the MAC in passing (269.33 ypg) and 25th in the major college ranks in total offense (417.5 ypg).

2007 SEASON
All-MAC second-team pick by The Gridiron Report... Started all twelve games at left offensive tackle... Earned Player of the Game honors vs. Northwestern, Bowling Green and Central Michigan... Recorded 83 knockdowns, eight down field blocks and ten touchdown-resulting blocks, finishing with a blocking consistency grade of 80.25%...Blocked a field goal vs. Northern Illinois that saved the game in the final seconds and posted a solo tackle vs. Vanderbilt... Part of a front wall that ranked second in the conference and 24th in the nation, allowing just 1.42 quarterback sacks per game... Gave up 2.5 of those sacks, along with six pressures on 399 pass plays... Helped the Eagles average 337.5 yards in total offense and 156.0 yards rushing per game.

2006 SEASON
Moved to the offensive line, starting the first ten contests at right tackle before shifting to the left side vs. Kent State and Northern Illinois... Named the team's Offensive Player of the Game at Louisiana Lafayette (Sept. 30)... Earned a Championship Performance Award vs. Toledo, Championship Special Teams awards for the Central Michigan and Bowling Green games and a Winning Performance award vs. Central Michigan...Changed from jersey #93 to #50 prior to the season opener, coming up with 74 knockdowns and seven touchdown-resulting blocks for a unit that averaged 276.15 yards in total offense per game...Also made three tackles, including one each vs. Ohio University, Navy and Kent State.

2005 SEASON
One of seven true freshmen to letter, Lang appeared in eleven games, starting the season opener vs. Cincinnati as a 250- pound left defensive tackle... Registered eleven tackles (4 solos) with an assisted stop for a 3-yard loss and a blocked field goal.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
5.12 in the 40-yard dash... 1.80 10-yard dash...2.95 20-yard dash.. .4.74 20-yard shuttle... 7.71 three-cone drilL. ..26-inch vertical jump... 8'6" broad jump... Bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times... 515-pound squat...318-pound hang clean...32 %- inch arm length... 9 5/8-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Graduated from Brother Rice (Birmingham, Mich.) High School, playing football as a junior and senior for head coach AI Fracassa...As a senior, Lang started on both lines, earning All-State Division II first-team honors and was ranked 33rd on the Fab 50 list of the Detroit Free Press, adding All-North accolades from that news service... Named his team's Lombardi Award winner as the Most Outstanding Lineman and was nominated for the Gatorade Player of the Year award in the state of Michigan.. .In his final prep campaign, Lang recorded 93 tackles (59 solos) with 8.5 quarterback sacks and one fumble recovery, making the Associated Press All-State Division II squad, helping the team to the state finals and was named the squad's Most Improved Lineman...Also won the Defensive Line award at the University of Michigan 2004 summer camp... Began his prep career at Lakeland High School, lettering in both football and baseball as a sophomore.

PERSONAL
Criminal Justice major... One of five children of Lynn Confer and Thomas Lang... Born Thomas John Lang, Jr. on 9/20/87... Resides in Ferndale, Michigan.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nickb364
15 years ago
Not bad, we needed o-line.. although I'm surprised Duke Robinson from OU was still or IS still on the board?

I hope we get Javon Ringer with our next pick, I think he's still available.. He reminds me of an Ahmad Bradshaw..
UserPostedImage
packersfan101101
15 years ago
seems like we got a pretty good player for the 4th round. Im happy with this pick
brandon jackson is amazing
schroeder84
15 years ago

Not bad, we needed o-line.. although I'm surprised Duke Robinson from OU was still or IS still on the board?

I hope we get Javon Ringer with our next pick, I think he's still available.. He reminds me of an Ahmad Bradshaw..

"nickb364" wrote:

I like this pick - versatile smart lineman type. I also would like Ringer - was just telling my wife about that a few minutes back. Assuming he is still available 10 picks from now.
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
Now that I've read up on him a bit, I like this pick. If nothing else, we're shoring up the middle of that O line, which is good.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago

"schroeder84" wrote:

I like this pick - versatile smart lineman type. I also would like Ringer - was just telling my wife about that a few minutes back. Assuming he is still available 10 picks from now.

"nickb364" wrote:

your wife listens to you when you talk about football?
UserPostedImage
Arles
15 years ago
Scouts Inc. Grade: 73 (3rd round), #82 overall (#10 OT)

6'4, 312

Overall Football Traits

Production 1
Lang lines up at defensive tackle and starts one of the 11 games he appears in as a true freshman in 2005. He switches to offensive tackle in 2006 and goes on to start 36 consecutive games during the 2006-'08 seasons. Lang earns second-team All-MAC honors in 2008.

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Adequate height, good bulk and above-average top-end speed.

Durability 1
Finished career with 36 consecutive starts.

Character 2
Majoring in Criminal Justice and there are no off-the-field issues to our knowledge. Can play any position along the offensive line.

Offensive Tackle specific Traits

Strength/Toughness 2
Plays with an edge and an effective hand fighter. Upper body strength appears more than adequate and flashes the ability to deliver a violent initial punch. Finishes blocks.

Agility 3
Shows good body control in space and adequate lateral mobility for size but not an elite athlete.

Awareness 3
Does a good job of turning ends outside on draws. Keeps head up in pass protection and does a nice job of helping guard out when no defenders come to him.

Pass Protection 3
Stays engaged and makes it difficult for defensive linemen to get their hands up in passing lanes. Gets adequate knee bend, does a good job of resetting feet and can hold ground against bull rushers. Leans too much and is vulnerable to push-pull moves. Takes too long to redirect and going to have some problems countering double moves. Lacks elite initial quickness and going to have a harder time preventing edge rushers from turning the corner at the NFL level.

Run Blocking 2
Gets excellent hand placement and drives legs once in position. Does an adequate job of opening hips, shows above-average range for size and can get around the corner when asked to pull. Takes adequate angles to downfield blocks and can cover up linebackers at the second level.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Lang had some interesting things to say.

"Once I left the (Packers') facility I told my agent I could see myself playing in Green Bay," Lang said. "Just the type of guys I liked, the coaches, loved everything about them. It's a smaller town and seemed like a hard-working type of city, type of team, and that's what I'm all about. I definitely feel comfortable coming there."

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

"Once I left the (Packers') facility I told my agent I could see myself playing in Green Bay," Lang said. "Just the type of guys I liked, the coaches, loved everything about them. It's a smaller town and seemed like a hard-working type of city, type of team, and that's what I'm all about. I definitely feel comfortable coming there."

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Nice.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Dulak
15 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

maybe they picked him because of what he said ... ie they know he wants to be there etc ...
Fan Shout
beast (8h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (10h) : damn those vikings
beast (10h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (10h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (10h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (10h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (17h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (18h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.