wils0646
15 years ago

[align=center]Clay Matthews | Linebacker | USC | 6'3" - 240 lbs.[/align]

OVERVIEW
With two family members having not only played, but excelled, at Southern California, you would think that with a name like Clay Matthews III that he would have been one of the team's elite recruits. However, Matthews joined the team as a walk-on, putting in three years as a reserve and a special teams player. He then wrote a terrific final chapter to his college career that could end in April with him joining his father and uncle as USC first-round selections.

Matthews comes from a family full of world-class athletes. It all begins with Clay's grandfather, Clay Sr., who was on the football, wrestling and swimming teams at Georgia Tech in the 1940s and then played in the NFL with the San Francisco 4gers in the 1950s. Clay's father, Clay Jr., was a four-year (1974-77) linebacker at USC who played on the 1974 national championship team and earned All-American honors in 1977. He went on to play with the NFL's Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons from 1978 to 1996.

Clay's uncle, Bruce, was a three-year (1980-82) letterman offensive guard at USC who earned All-American honors in 1982 and then played with the NFL's Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans from 1983 to 2001. Clay's older brother, Kyle, lettered at safety on USC's 2003 national championship team. Another brother, Casey, is a sophomore linebacker at Oregon. His cousin, Ashley Nick, is a senior on the USC women's soccer team that captured the 2007 NCAA championship.

Matthews prepped at Agoura High SchooL. His dramatic rise as a pro prospect would be one of this draft's more compelling stories, even without his bloodlines. He walked on at USC rather than take a scholarship to a smaller program.

The freshman linebacker was relegated to duties on the scout team at Southern California in 2004. As a redshirt freshman, he played mostly on special teams in 2005, seeing action in all but the Hawaii contest (missed that game with an elbow sprain). He managed to record eight tackles (4 solos) to earn his first varsity letter.

Now measuring in at 230 pounds, Matthews earned a scholarship during 2006 fall camp. He served as a reserve strongside outside linebacker behind Dallas Sartz, but made his reputation when he was named Co-Special Teams Player of the Year. He was also a second-team Academic All-Pac 10 Conference pick. In 13 games, he delivered 15 tackles (9 solos) with a 7 -yard sack.

Matthews was again the key back-up at both outside linebacker positions and captured the team's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year Award for the second consecutive season in 2007. He played in all 13 games, blocking two kicks while posting 17 tackles (15 solos) with three stops for loss. He also caused two fumbles, both coming vs. Illinois in the Rose BowL.

An intense weight training program during the 2008 offseason saw Matthews earn USC's Co-Lifter of the Year award. The now 240-pounder opened the 2008 campaign as a reserve, but took over right defensive end duties for the final 1 0 contests. The All-American honorable mention and All-Pac 10 Conference second-team choice was named the team's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year for the third straight season. He ranked fourth on the team with 56 tackles (28 solos), blocked another kick and had 4.5 sacks to go with nine stops for losses.

CAREER NOTES
Matthews started the final 10 games of his 50-game Southern California career at right defensive end and vs. Nebraska and Washington State at strong-side outside linebacker in 2007... The three-time team Co-Special Teams Player of the Year blocked three kicks, deflected four passes, recovered two fumbles and recovered four others.. .Also recorded 96 tackles (56 solos) that included one quarterback pressure, 5.5 sacks for minus 49 yards and 13.5 stops for losses totaling 91 yards.

2008 SEASON
Matthews earned All-American honorable mention from Pro Football Weekly, in addition to receiving All-Pac 10 Conference second-team accolades... Academic All-Pac 10 first-team and named the sq uads Co-Lifter of the Year and Co-Special Teams Player of the Year, the third consecutive season he captured that latter award... Played behind Everson Griffen at right defensive tackle for the season's first three games before taking over and starting the final ten contests... Ranked fourth on the team with 56 tackles (28 solos), as he helped the Trojans lead the nation in scoring defense (9.0 ppg) and passing efficiency defense (85.75 rating)... Tied for second on the team with 4.5 sacks for minus 42 yards and ranked third on the team with nine stops for losses of 59 yards, as the Trojans finished fifth nationally in rush defense (87.38 ypg) and second in total defense (221.77 ypg)... Had a pair of pass deflections and blocked his third field goal for his career (vs. Oregon State).. .Also caused and recovered a pair of fumbles.

2007 SEASON
Matthews played behind Brian Cushing and Thomas Williams at strong-side linebacker, in addition to excelling on special teams, where he was selected Co-Special Teams Player of the Year for the second-straight season... Also took snap at rush end... Recorded 17 tackles (15 solos) with three stops for losses of23 yards and one quarterback pressure... Caused two fumbles, both coming in the Rose Bowl... Deflected one pass and blocked a pair of field goals... When Cushing was sidelined with an injury, Matthews stepped in and started at strong-side linebacker vs. Nebraska and Washington State.

2006 SEASON
Academic All-Pac 10 Conference second-team choice... Named the team's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year... The one-time walk-on earned a scholarship in fall drills and served as a reserve strong-side linebacker, playing behind Dallas Sartz in 13 games...Was a key special teams player as a sophomore... Overall, he recorded 15 tackles (9 solos) with a 7- yard sack and 1.5 stops for minus 9 yards.

2005 SEASON
As a redshirt freshman reserve linebacker, Matthews played mostly on special teams... Finished with eight tackles (4 solos) and a pass deflection in 11 games.

2004 SEASON
Redshirt season.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
4.62 in the 40-yard dash... 1.49 10-yard dash...2.68 20-yard dash...4.18 20-yard shuttle. ..6.93 three-cone drill... 35.5-inch vertical jump... 10'1" broad jump... Bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times... 32-inch arm length... 9 3/8-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Prepped at Agoura (Cal.) High School as a linebacker.

PERSONAL
International Relations major, attaining a 3.06 grade point average to earn Academic All-Pac 10 Conference honors in 2006 and 2008... Comes from a family rich in sports tradition... Clay's grandfather, Clay Sr., was on the football, wrestling and swimming teams at Georgia Tech in the 1940s and then played in the NFL with the San Francisco 4gers in the 1950s...Clay's father, Clay Jr., was a four-year (1974-77) linebacker at USC who played on the 1974 national championship team and earned All-American honors in 1977. He went on to play with the NFL's Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons from 1978 to 1996... Clay's uncle, Bruce, was a three-year (1980-82) letterman offensive guard at USC who earned All-American honors in 1982 and then played with the NFL's Houston OilerslTennessee Titans from 1983 to 2001... Clay's older brother, Kyle, lettered at safety on USC's 2003 national championship team.. .Another brother, Casey, is a sophomore line-backer at Oregon... His cousin, Ashley Nick, is a senior on the USC women's soccer team that captured the 2007 NCAA championship... Born 5/14/86... Resides in Agoura Hills, California.

The Pack Will Be Back.
toronto_cheesehead
15 years ago

I'm loving this draft so far. I don't know if Matthews is worth this much, but he better produce.

"wils0646" wrote:

I'm also not sure if Matthews is worth 3 picks, but if he produces then it won't matter what his price was. Playing OLB in a 3-4 will certainly help, since he'll get plenty of chances to rush the QB.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago
Well.........the "haters" don't have anything to complain about......yet! LOL!~
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
The Packers traded a 2nd round and two 3rd round picks to the Patriots for the Patriots' 26th pick and a 5th round pick. In so doing, they chose USC's OLB Clay Matthews.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
TT TRADED UP to get LB Clay Matthews
The Packers traded back up into round one to select LB Clay Matthews from USC.

The Packers sent picks 41, 73, 83 to New England for picks 26 and 162.

WOW!!!
Never thought i'd see THAT! Ted Thompson is going against all the stuff the Ted Thompson haters hate him for.

I'll tell you....i myself am shocked!
UserPostedImage
YERCELL
15 years ago
I'm kind of curious what everyone thinks of this pick, aside from what we gave up for it.
Cheesey
15 years ago
LOL!
Take THAT "haters!"

I have to admit.....I'm SHOCKED at how this draft is going. Ted Thompson sticking with his 1st pick, NOT taking Crabtree, trading AWAY draft picks to get another 1st round pick.
SHOCKING!!!
What are the "haters" gonna have left in their arsenal????
I kind of feel sorry for them!!!
(I said KIND of!)LOL!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

I'm kind of curious what everyone thinks of this pick, aside from what we gave up for it.

"YERCELL" wrote:

I honestly don't know anything about the kid.....but the Packers must be high on him. Ted Thompson is sure building up what was obviously our weakest link last year, our defense.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
He is just doing what he has to do to get the players they want. 🙂
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
I am a bit stunned. I am not sure he is worth 3 ok 2 1/2 draft picks.

He looks like he was a quality pick at # 26 but I wish they could have gotten by with giving up a 2nd and only 1 3rd.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (20h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.