Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

NFL DRAFT
Leap of faith 
WR Crabtree could prove too talented to pass up
By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Apr. 24, 2009

Green Bay - Well-stocked in wide receivers, the Green Bay Packers appear primed to select another one, Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree, late Saturday afternoon if they stay put with the No. 9 pick in the first round of the National Football League draft.

Crabtree is the top-rated player on general manager Ted Thompson's board and, despite significant needs on both lines and at outside linebacker, it seems likely the Packers will stay true to their board provided Crabtree is available.

However, Crabtree could be taken as early as No. 4 by Seattle and perhaps at No. 7 by Oakland, which almost certainly will select a wide receiver.

The Packers also are extremely interested in trading out of the top 10, where the guaranteed money at No. 9 will be about $20 million. That probably would eliminate the chances of taking Crabtree but would give the Packers additional draft choices to reinforce the front seven in their new 3-4 defense.

Or, Thompson could avail himself of what might well be several opportunities to move up, although the chances are it would be for Crabtree.

Crabtree, 6 feet 1 inches and 215 pounds, would operate in similar fashion to Sterling Sharpe, their last true power receiver.

He was compared to Michael Irvin, Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Braylon Edwards and Cris Carter by various personnel people.

"He's got rare wide-receiver skills," said Blake Beddingfield, scouting coordinator for the Tennessee Titans. "Not rare speed or rare size. Just rare receiving skills."

Could Crabtree bust?

"Only way he would bust out would be if he had an injury," Beddingfield said. "But I don't know how he would get there (No. 9)."

Crabtree's talent was evident in a Journal Sentinel poll this month in which 21 scouts with a national perspective were asked to name the best player in the draft. Linebacker Aaron Curry led with 10 votes but Crabtree was a close second with seven, and no other player got more than one.

If Crabtree slips to No. 9, it will be because a foot injury prevented teams from working him out, the fact that wide receiver is the deepest position in the draft and the unfavorable impression that he left on visits this month to Cleveland, St. Louis and Oakland.

It was at the combine in late February when doctors discovered a stress fracture in Crabtree's left foot that he didn't know was broken. On March 4, he had surgery in which a screw reportedly was inserted in the fifth metatarsal bone. The recovery time is eight to 10 weeks.

Attitude questions

Citing a source, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Thursday that the Browns were so put off by Crabtree's "world-revolves-around-me attitude" that coach Eric Mangini went looking for another receiver.

The Rams eliminated him from consideration after he turned off some of their officials with a similar approach, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch,

"He came across as a little goofy and kind of arrogant," said an executive in personnel for the Raiders. "Just a different guy."

Declaring for the draft two years early, the 21-year-old Crabtree made his announcement Jan. 13 during a news conference at an upscale hotel in his hometown of Dallas that was orchestrated by Deion Sanders.

Crabtree, a running quarterback in high school, scored 15 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Sharpe scored 16 in 1988 when he was the seventh pick overall. Javon Walker, the Packers' last first-round wide receiver, scored 9 in 2002.

Walker, Sharpe and James Lofton, the last three wide receivers taken by the Packers in the first round, combined for 13 Pro Bowl appearances for Green Bay.

If Crabtree is the choice, Thompson undoubtedly will encounter flak from those who would argue he is wide-receiver happy, a la Matt Millen, the former general manager of the Detroit Lions who used top-10 picks on wide receivers Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams three years in a row.

In four drafts, Thompson has taken two in each for a total of eight, including three in the second round.

Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, also represents Greg Jennings, who is in line for a lucrative contract extension. Certainly, Crabtree would protect the Packers against contractual demands of Jennings or his eventual loss.

Donald Driver is 34 and still playing well but does have a $2.8 million roster bonus due in 2010 that might make 2009 his final season in Green Bay. Jordy Nelson probably would slip down a notch to No. 4 and there's the possibility that the Packers would try to trade James Jones over the weekend.

"The problem is, people kind of get their minds made up and all of a sudden you throw names out there on draft day and it's a big scramble," an AFC personnel director said Friday. "I don't see anybody giving up a third for either Nelson or Jones. Receivers are a dime a dozen."

Crabtree, an outstanding point guard with a 20.8-point scoring average, reportedly was offered a basketball scholarship by former Texas Tech coach Bob Knight.

Weak crop

Earlier in the week, President Bill Polian of the Indianapolis Colts, an NFL scout since 1978, called this the weakest draft he could remember.

"As you know, I never complain about the draft," Polian said. "But this one . . . whew."

Because there are so few impact players, the top half of the first round could become one of the most unpredictable ever. Several scouts said there's no such thing as a reach in this draft because almost nobody stands out.

If Crabtree is gone, there are several players whom the Packers would be more than content to draft. Heading that list are Jason Smith of Baylor and Andre Smith of Alabama, both of whom could start immediately at right tackle for Mark Tauscher, a player the Packers have no intention of re-signing.

Other options

The Packers also are high on Mississippi tackle Michael Oher. If it came down to the choice between Oher and Virginia tackle Eugene Monroe, the edge might go to Oher. The Packers have concerns about the dislocated left kneecap that Monroe suffered in 2006, but they're probably not severe enough to rule out taking him.

Thompson also has high regard for Southern California inside linebacker Rey Maualuga, although he isn't a consideration if the Packers remain at No. 9.

Like most teams, Green Bay attaches more value to Boston College nose tackle B.J. Raji than Louisiana State defensive end Tyson Jackson, who rank as the two leading base defensive linemen.

Executives for eight teams, however, told the Journal Sentinel that Raji tested positive for marijuana earlier at Boston College. Raji, according to sources, was up front with teams about his frequent use of marijuana, and it's an issue that is worrisome to Thompson.

Jackson would start immediately at left end but isn't a dynamic pass rusher.

The Packers don't appear to have any of the hybrid outside linebackers rated highly enough to take at No. 9. Several of those players, especially Tennessee's Robert Ayers, might become targets if they were to trade down in the 15 to 20 range.

Some other players who could tempt the Packers later on the first round and in the second would be outside linebacker Larry English of Northern Illinois and inside linebacker James Laurinaitis of Ohio State.

UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
I'm shocked A) McGinn got a hold of such info (his confidence seems he got this from a pretty damn good source); and 😎 he actually decided to leak it so early on draft day.

What is interesting, as mentioned, is that Crabtree's agent (Parker) represents Jennings as well. Let's say we draft Crabtree at 9 ... he'g going to be getting close to 20 million in guaranteed.

That doesn't bode well for re-signing Greg to a fair-for-both-sides deal, especially since Eugene Parker represents Greg too. And that too at the deepest position on your roster. But you can't lose Greg, he's simply too good to let walk.

You solidfy your WR position for sure, give us the best WR crop in the league. But you risk alienating your best WR, and quite frankly the best playmaker on your team, and in the division (not named Adrian Peterson).
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Great to have you back in the fold, AADP.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
15 years ago
quite an interesting article
dfosterf
15 years ago

I'm shocked A) McGinn got a hold of such info (his confidence seems he got this from a pretty damn good source); and 😎 he actually decided to leak it so early on draft day.

What is interesting, as mentioned, is that Crabtree's agent (Parker) represents Jennings as well. Let's say we draft Crabtree at 9 ... he'g going to be getting close to 20 million in guaranteed.

That doesn't bode well for re-signing Greg to a fair-for-both-sides deal, especially since Eugene Parker represents Greg too. And that too at the deepest position on your roster. But you can't lose Greg, he's simply too good to let walk.

You solidfy your WR position for sure, give us the best WR crop in the league. But you risk alienating your best WR, and quite frankly the best playmaker on your team, and in the division (not named Adrian Peterson).

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Thank God at least someone besides me (and look who it is--one of the most respected posters on this forum :icon_smile: ) is at least looking at some of the possible ramifications of taking Crabtree at 9.

"You solidify your WR position for sure..." I give that a 50/50 shot, in keeping with the 50% bust rate of sure thing WR's. He has a hop at the line of scrimmage, played in the absolutely pass-happy Texas Tech system, against abhorrent defenses in the big 12, (show me one - just one -- youtube video of this man being challenged at the LOS in ANY of the myriad highlight clips on youtube) Forget Crabtree for a second...just take one moment REALLY- and do this simple google search. (And I want to keep it neutral) Type "Big 12 defenses" in a searchbox.

Cleveland interviews him, then immediately switches gears and starts interviewing late 1st early 2nd round WR's. Smokescreen? If Cleveland passes, you have your answer, and I hope someone pays attention. Did WE interview him, or are we going to hear in the presser that we didn't need to (Didn't want to tip our hand --OMG- I will flip-out)

Yes he threw up good numbers, and yes, he won the Biletnikoff award two years running. Of course everyone remembers who he beat out for that award the first year...Jordy Nelson was the runner-up. The Jordy Nelson that costs us a dime for the dollar that this man will cost.

Ship Jones, some say. Really? Jones was hurt all last year. Excuse? No. Jones's production fell, that's for sure. Tell ya what, go ahead and ship Jones, with his 13.7 yards per catch average as a receiver playing hurt in the National Football League (and actually being friggin' covered)and swap him out for a "sure thing" draft pick that averaged 12 yards per catch against such defensive juggernauts as Eastern Washington, Nevada, Southern Methodist and Massachusetts. Oh, and while you are at it, pay that kid more than you are paying your top receiver, who you are attempting to retain.

"How awesome would that be?" ...as some contemplate the wide receiver corps. Who the f--k knows. It already is pretty awesome, and I would bet on the guys we got over a draft prospect- ANY draft prospect at this position. You get like this after having seen hundreds of over-hyped prospects at this position fail miserably in a lifetime.

I don't give a good G--damn WHO is playing WR if we don't have someone to pass protect, and by going "BPA" here, we are moving one round back in addressing the actual needs--and I mean severe needs-- facing this team. BPA is lovely, and New England with their 11 picks and FA acquisitions are in a position to do so, as is Pittsburgh....Sorry- We are not.

I would love to play Madden, here, or even better, Joe philosopher when it comes to the "best way to build a football team." Sorry, but all I see is a team that cannot block and cannot tackle to my standards. If someone can explain to me how Michael Crabtree assists in the pursuit of those goals, I will promise to jump on his bandwagon immediately upon receipt of that revelation.

Change of plans for me on this draft day. I'm going to the bar.
Dulak
15 years ago

Thank God at least someone besides me (and look who it is--one of the most respected posters on this forum :icon_smile: ) is at least looking at some of the possible ramifications of taking Crabtree at 9.

I don't give a good G--damn WHO is playing WR if we don't have someone to pass protect, and by going "BPA" here, we are moving one round back in addressing the actual needs--and I mean severe needs-- facing this team. BPA is lovely, and New England with their 11 picks and FA acquisitions are in a position to do so, as is Pittsburgh....Sorry- We are not.

I would love to play Madden, here, or even better, Joe philosopher when it comes to the "best way to build a football team." Sorry, but all I see is a team that cannot block and cannot tackle to my standards. If someone can explain to me how Michael Crabtree assists in the pursuit of those goals, I will promise to jump on his bandwagon immediately upon receipt of that revelation.

Change of plans for me on this draft day. I'm going to the bar.

"dfosterf" wrote:

+1 for that post

I agree - our pass protection and run blocking is subpar (34 sacks for arod last year while the titans and denver had what 8 and 11(respectively)? No wonder cutler put up good numbers (imagine if arod had some good blockers).

And ya we were 26th through the season in run stoppage.
To be honest; I think changing to the 3-4 and having Dom as our DC (lol dom capers and defensive corordinator same letters) will have a Huge impact on our D.

I watched the atlanta game yesterday and our players seemed to be all over the field and not having good assignments etc ...

We need players yes - but this new D that we are implementing and having someone that knows how to play D is the biggest change to our D that we needed and its already in place.

I personally am intrigued about a 'play-maker' at the 9 spot. But know that I would really like our needs fullfilled also.

Play makers (potential) - jenkins, crabtree, orakpo
needs - Oher, smith (who I dont like), tyson (9 is reaching for him IMO), raji
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I do not want us to take Crabtree. Not so much against him. I just see our offense and especially WR as one of the few bright spots on our roster. We have too many needs (T, DE, NT, OLB) that are more important. Aaron Rodgers can only throw one ball at a time and we have five very capable WR's already.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
15 years ago

I do not want us to take Crabtree. Not so much against him. I just see our offense and especially WR as one of the few bright spots on our roster. We have too many needs (T, DE, NT, OLB) that are more important. Aaron Rodgers can only throw one ball at a time and we have five very capable WR's already.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

True and we will be getting back a very good jones this year.

He rocked in 07
dfosterf
15 years ago
Could one of the "pro-Crabtree" members please post the results of the interview that Ted Thompson had with Michael Crabtree?

No?

Well then, could you please post the date and location of the interview?

No?

After all, he is ostensibly number one on our board at 9, and if he falls to 9, that obviously means that Cleveland took a pass on drafting him, and I KNOW they interviewed him.

Smokescreens, innuendo, whatever... Do you really want to make that leap of faith without any real due diligence on a suspected diva?

[insert extremely lame argument that Ted never tips hand here]- we are talking about a potential franchise changing move, here.

How long will it take to watch Ted get run out of the state on a rail if some of those suspicions come to fruition and he never even interviewed him.

I don't remember any interview, do you?
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I am also against taking Crabtree. Nothing against his ability, but really, how much better would the WR corp be? So if this would happen, we would basically can Martin. IMO Crabtree is going to be a player with about identical skills to Jones. They are both about the exact same size. And Jones has two years experience with the offense and Rodgers. Nelson has 1.

I would expect Crabtree to make #4 in the depth at best (barring injuries). I do not see the offensive production increasing at all with Crabtree. Oline, Dline and this team improves much more IMO.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
beast (9h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (11h) : damn those vikings
beast (11h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (11h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (11h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (11h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (18h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (19h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.