RaiderPride
15 years ago

I doubt it will happen. The game time won't line up right.
NFL likes to have the game run in the Sunday early evening prime time slot. About 5:30-9 here in the Central Time Zone.
6:30-10 in the east and
3:30-7 in the west.

In order to get the same viewing time for a game in London they would have to kickoff at 11:30 PM London time. If the game started earlier say 7 pm London time it would be 11 AM in Los Angles which would defeat the purpose of having the larger night time audience.

"wpr" wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. How could they get a crowd in London on Sunday Night at 11:30 PM.

Many people have been asking for a Saturday Night Superbowl, so there is no work the next morning... And we all can party all night. Perhaps this is in the plans.

Do a midnight madness thing in London on Saturday night... 4 PM on the West Coast, 7PM on the East Coast.

The players biological clocks would be a fricken mess though.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Yerko
15 years ago
Add four teams coming from London. 36 teams. 2 NFC and 2 AFC teams. If one of those teams makes it that far. Let it mesh for about 5 years and then decide to have the Super Bowl out there.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I wonder what European cities could (hypothetically) sustain a viable NFL franchise? Considering NFL Europa folded within a few years, I am hardpressed to believe an actual franchise could make it. But I'm interested in hearing your guys' opinions.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
15 years ago

I wonder what European cities could (hypothetically) sustain a viable NFL franchise? Considering NFL Europa folded within a few years, I am hardpressed to believe an actual franchise could make it. But I'm interested in hearing your guys' opinions.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I don't know if you saw my post above yours but adding onto your post I think this might be a pretty good/cool idea. Obviously if it went through you would want to hit the major cities. Only problem is soccer is huge over there.
But, someone said holding a regular season game there was a good turn out correct? NFL Europe tanked but NFL Europe also wasn't just in the UK and did not hold top tier players on the team.
I would have the four teams placed in:
1. London
2. Birmingham
3. Glasgow or Manchester (big soccer city right?)
4. Liverpool
Unfortunately, I do not know how living is in those areas but they are major cities in the UK and I assume they thrive like our major cities.

Now if this all worked out, I would not have an issue holding the SuperBowl in London. I would also not have an issue with having the SuperBowl on Saturday nights because c'mon....work does interfere with holding it on Sundays and it is always a pain in the ass to get up Monday after a SuperBowl party :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

"AKamp74" wrote:

I don't know if you saw my post above yours but adding onto your post I think this might be a pretty good/cool idea. Obviously if it went through you would want to hit the major cities. Only problem is soccer is huge over there.
But, someone said holding a regular season game there was a good turn out correct? NFL Europe tanked but NFL Europe also wasn't just in the UK and did not hold top tier players on the team.
I would have the four teams placed in:
1. London
2. Birmingham
3. Glasgow or Manchester (big soccer city right?)
4. Liverpool
Unfortunately, I do not know how living is in those areas but they are major cities in the UK and I assume they thrive like our major cities.

Now if this all worked out, I would not have an issue holding the SuperBowl in London. I would also not have an issue with having the SuperBowl on Saturday nights because c'mon....work does interfere with holding it on Sundays and it is always a pain in the ass to get up Monday after a SuperBowl party :icon_smile:

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

They did have a franchise in the NFL Europe earlier on though. And they had to fold, leaving 4 German and 1 Dutch team as the only one collecting enough revenue to stay in business.

I think it'd be alot different if we'd actually get the big names here. Hence the turn up at a yearly NFL game versus the ones for NFL Europe. I think you could put a franchise in London, Amsterdam, Berlin and Barcelona and, as long as they would have decently competitive teams, they would get enough revenue to stay alive. Big thing is, the first period they'll most likely be cupcake teams and that's not a great way to get things going.

Also, I think that alot of Americans might be slightly sceptical about this. But that more out of prejudice than anything else. It was the case over at another forum where you couldn't openly tell you where European without being told to go play Soccer.

Anyway, I'm hapy this way. Maybe they should plan 2 overseas games though. With Germany and The Netherlands holding the last NFL Europe franchises, it's obviously somewhat popular here aswell. Let another game be played in Europe somewhere in Germany. As much as I dislike them, I'd go there to see that for sure.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Rock, European teams would have access to the same talent pool as the American teams. When they entered the league, the NFL would hold an expansion draft just for them, in which they would get first priority on what picks they wanted. If I'm not mistaken, they would also automatically be placed at the top of each round in the regular draft, as well as have ample resources to sign available free agents. Both the Jaguars and the Panthers made it to their respective conference championships in their second seasons! So while the first season would almost certainly be disastrous for any European teams, there wouldn't necessarily be a long wait for success. Of course, they could be like the Houston Texans and never get beyond 8-8 in their first 5 years. You never know.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
What if the soccer championship with Manchester United was held in the US. I would guess that a lot of Europeans would be pissed. Even though the event would sell huge in the US because it is a rare occurrence. If the NFL wants to add 1 regular season game and move that week to Europe, OK. Not the Super Bowl. It is not just taking the game away. It is taking 2 weeks of heavy tourist income away from some city that can really use it.

It is called National, not international Football.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Rockmolder
15 years ago

Rock, European teams would have access to the same talent pool as the American teams. When they entered the league, the NFL would hold an expansion draft just for them, in which they would get first priority on what picks they wanted. If I'm not mistaken, they would also automatically be placed at the top of each round in the regular draft, as well as have ample resources to sign available free agents. Both the Jaguars and the Panthers made it to their respective conference championships in their second seasons! So while the first season would almost certainly be disastrous for any European teams, there wouldn't necessarily be a long wait for success. Of course, they could be like the Houston Texans and never get beyond 8-8 in their first 5 years. You never know.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The expansion draft is nothing more than getting some left-overs though. I mean, I could imagine that we would put guys like Peprah, Swain and maybe Tauscher on there if we resign him.

The first four overall picks would certainly help and I think that this is a position where you have to be very lucky to get your team off the ground in a place like Europe. Where the Jaguars got Tony Boselli to anchor that line for quite some time, the Texans got David Carr and still haven't done anything.

Like you said, they could pan out very good aswell, but you ought to be extremely lucky or extremely good at spotting hidden talent. The Jaguars panned out really well, the Panthers did go to the NFC championship but didn't have another winning season untill their 2003 SB run, the Texans are still a pretty crappy team and the Browns haven't done a whole lot either.
dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
I say before they move the Super Bowl over seas why don't they just rotate it between the teams that are in the NFL. Why can't we have a Super Bowl in Green Bay. I heard it said its because of the weather. Well what about the Colts vs Bears Super Bowl and the pouring rain. I for one would love to see a Super Bowl in a snow storm 🙂
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I'm guessing they would have to drastically lower ticket prices for a Super Bowl at Lambeau Field because it wouldn't hold the same tourist appeal as an LA or a Miami or a New Orleans. Rich businessmen with cash to toss around won't be able to look forward to bikini-clad women on the beaches. The NFL prefers to maximize revenue. Plus not everyone wants to freeze their assess off on bleacher stands.

I agree, though. I think a Super Bowl in the driving snow of Green Bay would be awesome to watch. But imagine the fan revolt that might ensue if weather played a role in the outcome of the game! 😉
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.