longtimefan
15 years ago

If I had to choose overall, and were to include injuries, I'd go with 08. If you took away the injuries of 05' and the injuries of 08' and gave me a choice I'd go with 05'.

"dd80forever" wrote:

"dd80forever" wrote:

:thumbleft: TY!!

Now how can you take away injuries? LOL...

I dont see how you can..

Who decides if those players would have performed at what was expected, or better than expected or worse?

You cant do that since its all objective..

Have to use what we know which is

4-12 to 6-10
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I think the Favre to Walker connection dominates the Rodgers to Jennings connection.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

I just cant understand how anyone can say its better talent? We have guys that never make the field but yet are getting ranked higher than guys that played in 05. The opinion was the starters in 05 overall were better so people started trying to say we have better depth than back then. But how can you tell because the guys were forced to play back than and we have the potential players on our bench now.

"dhazer" wrote:

According to Brett Favre he said 07 was the best talented team he ever seen

So I guess he knows nothing?
longtimefan
15 years ago

So how do you rate talent if they don't play?

"dhazer" wrote:

Well i guess i would have to agree with Larry Fitzgerald when he said Crabtree will be a star in this league.

"dhazer" wrote:

Not sure? how do you rate talent then?

:thumbleft:
Stevetarded
15 years ago

So how do you rate talent if they don't play? So it goes by peoples opinions like im still trying to see this so called great talent in Nelson and Blackmon. Blackmon is an average punt returner and thats it, its all hes ever been. Nelson is an average at best wr from what he showed on the field like i have said hes a Don Beebe type receiver in my eyes. But i guess you guys will say im full of shit but oh well im used to it. Also i see your point on some things i mean hell as long as our 3rd string TE was better last year than 05 that makes this a better team who cares about the starters and the guys that actually played.

"dhazer" wrote:

Well to be fair our 3rd string TE had as many TD as Franks did in 05. Try to not get so butthurt just because some people don't agree with you. Sometimes you seem like you get offended if others like a player that you don't.

Jordy is a smart, reliable receiver with good hands. I guess youll have to excuse some people for being happy with having a guy like that on the team. Maybe we should trade for Boldin and draft Crabtree then we can have Jennings, Driver, Boldin, and Crabtree on the team... oh wait that's dumb. Jones and Nelson are perfect at the #3 and 4.
blank
dd80forever
15 years ago

If I had to choose overall, and were to include injuries, I'd go with 08. If you took away the injuries of 05' and the injuries of 08' and gave me a choice I'd go with 05'.

"longtimefan" wrote:

"dd80forever" wrote:

:thumbleft: TY!!

Now how can you take away injuries? LOL...

I dont see how you can..

Who decides if those players would have performed at what was expected, or better than expected or worse?

You cant do that since its all objective..

Have to use what we know which is

4-12 to 6-10

"dd80forever" wrote:

Dude, you asked me to show you where I said something about injuries.

Then you change the subject. Way to man-up and admit your mistake!

Anyways my point is o course this team is better then the team that TOOK THE FIELD the better half of 2005. Most of them were 5th string guys.

However, give me a choice between the opening day roster of 2005 and 2008, without the injuries, I take 05 HANDS DOWN.

Those guys that got hurt led us to the NFC North championship the previous year. Favre to Walker was at it's high point.

I'm not sure where you were going with this. It's already been shown that the 2005 team gave up less points on defense. AS far as offense I again state Favre, Walker, DD, Hando, Green, Tauscher/Clifton then, Franks trumps A-Rod, GJ, DD, Grant, Kuhn, Tauscher/Clifton now, and Lee easily.

DH is right, yet you guys write him off as hating, as usual, and fail to see the logic.

I remember several posters before the 05 season talking about how much "potential" we had back then. Underwood was going to be great, etc. So you are comparing known failed to potential to unkniown potential. Of course the unknown is going to win. You know those guys you were hyped about, admittedly or not, were bums. It could be the case these guys you are now hyped about could be bums as well.
blank
mi_keys
15 years ago

2005 vs 2008
QBs= Favre vs Rodgers Favre gets the nod
RBs = Green and Henderson vs Grant and Hall advantage green and Hendo
WRs= Driver and Walker vs Driver and Jennings to be fair its a wash
TE=Franks vs Lee i say Franks
LT = is a wash it was clifton for both
LG = Wells vs Colledge i say Wells
C = Flannagan vs Wells experience wins with Flannagan
RG = Whitticker vs Spitz ill take Spitz on this
RT= a wash seeing it was Taucher both years

K= Longwell vs Crosby Longwell wins
P= Sander vs Frost both suck lol
KR = Chatman vs Blackmon i'm going with another push

LE = wash AK for both years
LDT = Jackson vs Pickett I'm saying another wash
RDT = Jenkins vs Jolly I have to take Cullen in this
RE = KGB vs Montgomery KGB no doubt
LLB = Diggs vs Poppinga going with a push
MLB = is a wash seeing it was Barnett
RLB = Thomas vs Hawk have to go with Hawk
CB = Carroll and Harris vs Harris and Woodson no brainer here
FS= Roman vs Rouse i'll take Roman
SS = i just made it a wash because collins played fs in 2005

"dhazer" wrote:

Since you're attempting to use pre-injury starters you have to change the 08 starters on RE to Jenkins and SS to Bigby.

QB - Favre on the downside of his career takes a small edge over Rodgers
RB - Green and Hendo again on the downside of their careers with a slight edge talent-wise over our young backfield. We also had more depth at RB back in 05 with Davenport.
WR - Driver is essentially the same in 05 and 08 but I'll take 08 due to Jennings. Walker had one good season in his career and has done fuck all since while Jennings has already had two good seasons and looks set to be one of the stars of the future. This is aside from the fact that we have vastly more depth at WR now than we did then.
TE - Lee vs Franks. Franks was also on the downside of his career and was really a shell of his former self. I'll take Lee now over Franks in 05 though Franks back in his prime was better.
OL - 05 had more talent at oline and this is one of the glaring shortcomings of Ted's tenure, that he hasn't done much of anything to improve the offensive line. There are some young guys like Sitton who we have yet to get a good look at but you still have to give the nod to 05's line as Tauscher and Clifton were better then and we still had Flannigan.

K - nod to Longwell though that was one of the worst seasons of his career and he now has the benefit of kicking in a dome so it's hard to see how good he is compared to his prime. We need more consistency out of Crosby but he certainly has got a leg on him and is better for kick offs already.
P - Frost vs. Sander. I wish they'd both just die.
KR/PR - Blackmon. Greater. Than. Chatman. End of.

DL - Kampman basically the same level in both years in terms of his ability, maybe a little bit more mature in 08 as he was still emerging in 05 but basically negligible. Jenkins was at an immensely higher level in 08 than in 05 it was a real shame he was injured. I'd take Pickett over Jackson but in the third spot (be it Montgomery or Williams or whomever) we are down compared to KGB so I'd give the edge to 05. Losing Jenkins for 08 was a massive loss for the d-line and just brought out the weakness we had there that much more.
LB - a wash because Diggs is better than Poppinga but Hawk is better than Thomas
DB - Head and shoulders better in 08 than 05. It is not even close. Harris hasn't lost much since 05 but Woodson is so immensely better than Carroll. This alone tips the balance in favor of the 08 team so much it would be hard for the 05 team to make it up in any other position. I could do the job Carroll did: jump on the receiver's back and go for a ride. Compare that to Woodson who might just be the best Packers corner since Herb Adderley, maybe the best ever. Also, Collins has matured immensely since 05 so I'd take him now over his 05 self. Finally, Roman was horrible and Bigby or Rouse is an improvement over him.

All that said I'd have to give the advantage to the 08 team in terms of talent.
Born and bred a cheesehead
dd80forever
15 years ago

So how do you rate talent if they don't play? So it goes by peoples opinions like im still trying to see this so called great talent in Nelson and Blackmon. Blackmon is an average punt returner and thats it, its all hes ever been. Nelson is an average at best wr from what he showed on the field like i have said hes a Don Beebe type receiver in my eyes. But i guess you guys will say im full of shit but oh well im used to it. Also i see your point on some things i mean hell as long as our 3rd string TE was better last year than 05 that makes this a better team who cares about the starters and the guys that actually played.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Well to be fair our 3rd string TE had as many TD as Franks did in 05. Try to not get so butthurt just because some people don't agree with you. Sometimes you seem like you get offended if others like a player that you don't.

Jordy is a smart, reliable receiver with good hands. I guess youll have to excuse some people for being happy with having a guy like that on the team. Maybe we should trade for Boldin and draft Crabtree then we can have Jennings, Driver, Boldin, and Crabtree on the team... oh wait that's dumb. Jones and Nelson are perfect at the #3 and 4.

"dhazer" wrote:

The problem is every guy GB brings in has been so-called "full of potential". I remember going rounds about Ingle Martin! Colledge was going to be a stud O-Lineman, on and on. Wait til draft day. Every guy picked will be "full of potential".

It's been a broken record for 4 years now. Potential. potential, potential yet we finish the year 6-10. When is all the potential going to become talent?

Contrary to popular belief, I'm a die hard Packers fan but I can't get overly excited about some undrafted FA with "potential" or Justin "injury bug" Harrell because he has potential. All NFL teams have players full of potential. If you think Jordy is going to emerge into a pro-bowl WR go ahead but don't take offense when I see him as an average WR.
blank
mi_keys
15 years ago

Those guys that got hurt led us to the NFC North championship the previous year.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Those guys that got hurt last year took us to the NFC Championship game in 07 save for the loss of Favre but the way Rodgers played last year I'd have a hard time putting him that far behind Favre's ability level at the end of his career.
Born and bred a cheesehead
dd80forever
15 years ago

Those guys that got hurt led us to the NFC North championship the previous year.

"mi_keys" wrote:

Those guys that got hurt last year took us to the NFC Championship game in 07 save for the loss of Favre but the way Rodgers played last year I'd have a hard time putting him that far behind Favre's ability level at the end of his career.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Walker, Driver, Green, Davenport, Fisher, Ferguson, Gado, etc Led a little more than Jenkins and Bigby, sorry.

And then their is the Favre factor
blank