zombieslayer
15 years ago

Brett had legendary pocket presence, so sack totals really never told how good the O-line was at pass blocking. I don't think our team has exceptional pass blockers, but we're at least above average.

A lot of those sacks have to be on Aaron because he's a young QB. Look at NE....Brady barely got touched in 2007 and Cassell got sacked a bunch. Of course, some blame has to go on the O-line as they were not as good and there were some injuries, but I think most of the blame has to go to the QB.

Almost all young QBs have this issue. Aaron no doubt will become better at getting the ball out faster, finding the hot read, and escaping the pocket.

I really don't consider our team a bad pass blocking unit. That is definitely our strength.

"wils0646" wrote:

Well, if you count the seconds Aaron Rodgers has in the pocket and compare it to our opponents, Aaron Rodgers definitely gets a lot less.

In the beginning of the season, one of my big complaints on Aaron was he didn't get rid of the ball fast enough. By around mid-season, he fixed that. By then, the majority of sacks (the blame) went to our OL, no longer Aaron.

As for Brett in '07, he was best in the league at breaking sacks. You'd see a 300 lb DL guy hit him then go flying and Brett releases the football.

I don't know what happened, but in '08, Brett would go down no matter how soft he got hit. Injury? Being safe? I don't know, but Brett lost that ability.

Aaron on the other hand is a scrambler. He'd try to take off when the pocket collapsed, but often had nowhere to go.

So if we'd compare '07 Brett to '08 Aaron when it comes to not getting sacked, Brett smokes Aaron. But '08 Brett to '08 Aaron, Aaron wins. The Jets OL looked better than ours when it came to pass protection, at least in my opinion and I watched almost all the games. The Jets became my 2nd fave team because Brett is my favorite player ever. (Now I could care less what the Jets do because Brett is gone from them).

Now the Brady vs Cassell comparison should get an asterisk. I got a chance to see a little bit of NE and from the little I saw, I think the '07 OL for NE was way better than the '08 OL. Just my opinion, but that's what it looked like to me. I think the '07 NE OL was top tier but the '08 NE OL was just "good." I couldn't name the players so can't blame anyone, but if you count the seconds Cassell got vs what Brady got...

By the way, +1 to Rockmolder for all the research he did. This thread is very good. Good job everyone.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
bozz_2006
15 years ago
wils is a master of reverse psychology...
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
Aaron Rodgers, whether he's as good as Favre or Brady or anyone else, is NOT the personnel problem for the Green Bay Packers. I understand that QB is a crucial position, and the focus has been on that position for Green Bay for obvious reasons, but if we can manage to extract ourselves from the endless comparisons and bickering (though whoever compared the situation to Montana/Young is probably right and people will never stop arguing the whole silly point) and actually look at the TEAM, it's pretty clear that - aside from a concern about depth - the QB position is not the problem in Green Bay.

Love Rodgers, hate Rodgers, it doesn't matter. For one, BRETT IS GONE AND HE'S NOT COMING BACK. So what he would have done in a situation is at this point wholly irrelevant. People can (and obviously will) argue about whether Rodgers should be the starting QB in Green Bay all they want, but the fact of the matter is that he IS the starting QB in Green Bay. Period.

There are so many other, more intriguing, not already determined issues the team has to face, but yet all anyone can discuss is Rodgers Vs. Favre. Someone suggested that all of this is water under the bridge - I'm not so sure. It seems like the fanbase is still far more interested in throwing punches about It than they are in the other aspects of the team.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Aaron Rodgers was told to take sacks rather than throw interceptions. This was noted even before the season began. We were expecting him to take more sacks than his predecessor. Why this is a topic for surprise is beyond me.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

What?! I've NEVER heard anything like that being told to a QB ever! You do NOT take a sack, EVER if you can help it. You THROW THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! This reduces the chance of taking a hit, lessens the chance of a fumble and most importantly in a game that is called "the game of inches" you do not lose 5-9 yards!

You don't want your QB taking hits. They are viewed as the 'key' to your teams success.

What's better? 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 15? That's the difference between taking a sack and throwing it away.

I just can not believe this. I do not understand why anyone would ever tell a QB to take a sack. This just blows my mind.

If someone can find the article and post it here with the link, that'd be great. If this is true, I just lost a LOT of respect for McCarthy.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

Aaron Rodgers was told to take sacks rather than throw interceptions. This was noted even before the season began. We were expecting him to take more sacks than his predecessor. Why this is a topic for surprise is beyond me.

"SlickVision" wrote:

What?! I've NEVER heard anything like that being told to a QB ever! You do NOT take a sack, EVER if you can help it. You THROW THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! This reduces the chance of taking a hit, lessens the chance of a fumble and most importantly in a game that is called "the game of inches" you do not lose 5-9 yards!

You don't want your QB taking hits. They are viewed as the 'key' to your teams success.

What's better? 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 15? That's the difference between taking a sack and throwing it away.

I just can not believe this. I do not understand why anyone would ever tell a QB to take a sack. This just blows my mind.

If someone can find the article and post it here with the link, that'd be great. If this is true, I just lost a LOT of respect for McCarthy.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I asume this is more about the situations where he's stuck in the pocket. I mean, with two pass rushers getting around the tackles, he can step up, but if you have two DTs there, you can't do anything but take a sack, throw an Int... or take the intentional grounding call because he didn't get out of the tackle box.
15 years ago
Yeah, there are some instances where you simply can't safely throw the ball away. Well there are other situations where you take the sack as well, but Strahan is retired so...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
If you can throw an INT, you can throw it away.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Getting hit, getting knocked backwards, chucking it up and hoping it makes the sidelines past the LOS = bad decision, in my book.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
I'm sorry but i have to chime in here on something. You people that are even thinking of comparing Rodgers to the likes of Favre, Brady, Big Ben, Manning, hell even Eli need to step back and actually think about it. You folks are comparing Rodgers against a few qb legends and 2 proven super bowl winners. Rodgers had played ONE FRICKEN season. If we are doing that then hell Ryan Braun of the Brewers should be getting compared to Hank AAron. Yes now maybe your laughing and i'm sure your going thats stupid but hey its the same way your trying to compare Rodgers to these other qbs.

Stats this stats that the game has changed so much through the years. Back in the early 90's we thought we would never see 45 tds but now manning and brady have done it and getting to 40 will start to become a normal thing with how the rules are going.

So if you don't know what i'm talking about think of it this way it's not fair for Rodgers to be compared to those guys and it sure as hell isn't fair to the proven qbs.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Getting hit, getting knocked backwards, chucking it up and hoping it makes the sidelines past the LOS = bad decision, in my book.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Never played QB eh? I'll take a line from Matt Damon, always have an exit strategy. Make quick decisions and know what you need to do. If you see a free blitzer, find the hot route, if its covered, THROW IT AWAY.
UserPostedImage