Mckennj3
15 years ago
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to finally break my posting cherry with a discussion. I've been reading this site for basically as long as it has been around but never actually registered, always been over at the god awful packersforum.com site. Anyway, i'm as diehard as it gets and from the east coast of Canada so expect me to be hanging around for a long time lol.

Anyway, im at work right now so not a whole lot of time for research, but i was thinking about our last several years under Ted and how we basically just break the league cap minimum every year. Since it's fairly certain we will be cap free soon, and the rumour has been around for years, does anyone think that we have basically just been saving and investing a large sum of money to compete once we turn into baseball.

I know a city as small as GreenBay is going to be hurting in any kind of bidding war once the larger cities are involved. and maybe this is our way of not falling of the earth for a while once hell breaks loose.
Any thoughts?
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
digsthepack
15 years ago
That, and signing our own ascending players who have earned their big contracts. Young teams such as the Packers are prone to having a lot of their young stars hit their first, or second big contract within a fairly short time.

The same people who bitch about our not blowing our wad on a player like Haynesworth or Peppers, are the same people who will bitch endlessly should we lose a player like Jennings, Collins or Tramon Williams....and in BOTH cases, the fantasy football crowd would be ready to gut Ted Thompson for the offense.

Just my opinion.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Mckennj3
15 years ago
yeah man makes sense. I'd hate it if the packers were one of these teams that continually loose their own stars because of the signing of others, new franchise faces would drive me nuts ever few years.. atleast i know ted wants me lookin at the hideous rodgers stash for a long time
longtimefan
15 years ago
that was brought up on wssp 1250 am in milwaukee..

The profit margin grows by the amount of cap space that is not used.

Mark Murphy even mentioned that it does factor into the profits ( how much cap is left)
Dulak
15 years ago
I really dont want there to be a non cap to our teams. Thats the way the UK has their soccer teams and its a joke IMO.

The money teams always stay good and the not money teams just stay average. Boring ...

besides the fact I dont like soccer ...
15 years ago
I see a lot of loyalty to the guys who have performed.

Even without a cap their will always be a budget for player salaries and only so much that can be spent. Tough choices have to be made.

Some players will always be lost. Some you can't afford to lose.

Daniel Snyder may be popular with some fans every April but the Redskin locker room knows their is no respect and the rug can be pulled out from under a player at any time.

For those that don't like Ted Thompson let me remind you that things could be a lot worse.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I don't think that not spending has anything to do with saving for the possibility of a non cap league. GB is suppose to have the 250 million discretionary fund. But that would only keep the team competing for about a year or two.

With the amount that the team has saved being under the cap, it isn't even enough to add a year. Maybe a few months basically.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Mckennj3
15 years ago
I really really hope that the worlds best sport doesnt turn into the baseball or soccer, i can only see us competing for a few years then we turn into the Marlins for the next 2 decades.
Mckennj3
15 years ago
Then again, maybe we have the type of owners who see this franchise as a business instead of a passion. Putting teams good enough out there just to keep people happy. after 13-3 we virtually did nothing, but after our 4-12 year there had to be major changes. If we compete and can pocket as much money as possible it's a win win in their eyes.
porky88
15 years ago
It's his philosophy. Thompson isn't scared to spend big money, he's scared to spend big money in free agency.

Also, Football will never be like Baseball. I expect if they don't resolve the situation they'll be a work stoppage sometime in 2011 or 2012.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.