Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
I hadn't seen this connection to Capers, but it might make some sense to why the Packers are being cautious in FA with the ends.. Thought it interesting...

The Packers have contacted a handful of free agent defensive ends, but as of Wednesday night, not one has been invited for a visit. Why? To be honest, Ted Thompson isnt sure any of those players are better than Alfred Malone, said a person close to the situation. Read More Here.... 

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
15 years ago
It'll be a big gamble, going for a guy who's been in the league for 3 years or so but hasn't done a thing. I actually think this is riskier than trying to sign a free agent, but hey, if they really see something in him in the 3-4, go for it.

I just hope it works out, because I'm not going to be very happy when Malone is on his back and Kampman still has to play against double coverage as an OLB.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago

It'll be a big gamble, going for a guy who's been in the league for 3 years or so but hasn't done a thing. I actually think this is riskier than trying to sign a free agent, but hey, if they really see something in him in the 3-4, go for it.

I just hope it works out, because I'm not going to be very happy when Malone is on his back and Kampman still has to play against double coverage as an OLB.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Well, if they truly are that high on the kid, and adding a body or two in the draft to couple along with Jolly, Jenkins and whatever we get from Harrell the roster hole shrinks quite a bit.

Again, looking at the pool of FA, there are a slew that are kind of the same type of player.. why tie up a roster spot unless you are convinced they bring more than any of the others available. See how the draft is starting to fall into place and what happens say the first day of the draft.

My point, the panic that some are ringing just isn't that found at this point.. plenty of time yet before training camp rosters need to be set.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
15 years ago
interesting. I'm now preparing for all the gripers to start griping about "Tightwad Teddy"
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Well, if they truly are that high on the kid, and adding a body or two in the draft to couple along with Jolly, Jenkins and whatever we get from Harrell the roster hole shrinks quite a bit.

Again, looking at the pool of FA, there are a slew that are kind of the same type of player.. why tie up a roster spot unless you are convinced they bring more than any of the others available. See how the draft is starting to fall into place and what happens say the first day of the draft.

My point, the panic that some are ringing just isn't that found at this point.. plenty of time yet before training camp rosters need to be set.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

You might recall that my attempts last year to employ alternative belief systems such as karma and joss were dismal failures. So too, have the Packers met with frustration when utilizing more mainstream methodologies for improvement, e.g., the draft, as regards our defensive line.

We are due one slice of pure good luck in the trenches. To that end, I am willing to dig deep down in furtherance of our mutual objective. In the grand tradition of both the Mayans and Aztecs, amongst others, which were, btw, sophisticated cultures not perceived to be barbarian, I advocate that Ted and co. employ a heretofore untried strategy in the NFL.

In lieu of fanfest, or possibly as an adjunct to the festivities, we employ human sacrifice to appease the football gods, beseeching upon them to deliver a decent Defensive End without having to delve into the waters of mediocrity as contained in the free agency pool. A nose tackle in the draft would also be quite nice and fair.

You might also recall an advocacy to "part out" Justin Harrell when the condition of Al Harris' spleen was in doubt. Since that was not required, and since I see no real good fit for Bustin' unless he does in fact eat those wings and ribs that dhazer referenced in order to bulk up to NT size, I have determined that Bustin' is an ideal candidate for the ceremony.

Now I readily admit that to date none of alternative belief systems have borne fruit, but at least in this scenario we would actually reduce our cap hit, at least as regards Justin, regardless of the outcome as regards his sacrifice and the hopefully resultant good luck that should follow.

The big problem is in marketing. I'm sure all would want to attend... Lambeau would be a packed house. The difficulty arises when trying to figure out how to get the word out without enlightening Mr. Harrell.

j/k

i think.
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
That would be great, and I won't be surprised if a number of previously-marginal guys end up playing bigger roles w/ the new scheme (Lansanah and Thompson are guys that come to mind).

But the whole "panic" term is getting a little old, IMO. Sure, some fans are freaking out a bit, but those are the people who freak out over everything. Those of us who are reporting some disappointment and concern over the lack of FA activity aren't panicing, we're just that - a little disappointed and concerned.

The team has a metric sh*t ton of cap room, as compared to a lot of other teams; they can be players in FA without hamstringing the future, and the fact is that there are some crucial holes to fill along the lines, which are the foundation of any team's success. Personally, I'd just like to see some effort made at bringing in quality vets to help plug some of those holes.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago

In lieu of fanfest, or possibly as an adjunct to the festivities, we employ human sacrifice to appease the football gods, beseeching upon them to deliver a decent Defensive End without having to delve into the waters of mediocrity as contained in the free agency pool.
The big problem is in marketing. I'm sure all would want to attend... Lambeau would be a packed house.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Might be a good way to fill the coffers in preparation for an uncapped year, too.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago

That would be great, and I won't be surprised if a number of previously-marginal guys end up playing bigger roles w/ the new scheme (Lansanah and Thompson are guys that come to mind).

But the whole "panic" term is getting a little old, IMO. Sure, some fans are freaking out a bit, but those are the people who freak out over everything. Those of us who are reporting some disappointment and concern over the lack of FA activity aren't panicing, we're just that - a little disappointed and concerned.

The team has a metric sh*t ton of cap room, as compared to a lot of other teams; they can be players in FA without hamstringing the future, and the fact is that there are some crucial holes to fill along the lines, which are the foundation of any team's success. Personally, I'd just like to see some effort made at bringing in quality vets to help plug some of those holes.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

And I'm looking at the fact that this metric sh*t ton of cap space will probably used this year to write up large front-loaded contract extensions to Jennings and Collins, and maybe in December, Kampman and Hawk, if they perform well the first half of the season.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago
IlikethePack39... I really am not calling out anyone in specific, and maybe panic is a bit over stated. Concern is a positive attribute that I share, I am concerned with the depth along the Dline and at offensive tackle.

But in turn, I look at the mere fact that the 09 season is only 7 days born, and we some that have lost hope on the season already because we haven't struck the pen to a contract yet.

I will be disappointed if we haven't done our homework on the available players by bringing a select few in and at the very least have all the parameters set in place, contract and what they can bring to us if we ink them.

Reading the JSonline and Press Gazette is like reading a eulogy on the Packers 09 season because all the talent has been bought off the market. That is hardly the case at this point, they are looking past what we have currently and the fact that none of the players on the market have headlining or at least mainstream names.
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

IlikethePack39... I really am not calling out anyone in specific, and maybe panic is a bit over stated. Concern is a positive attribute that I share, I am concerned with the depth along the Dline and at offensive tackle.

But in turn, I look at the mere fact that the 09 season is only 7 days born, and we some that have lost hope on the season already because we haven't struck the pen to a contract yet.

I will be disappointed if we haven't done our homework on the available players by bringing a select few in and at the very least have all the parameters set in place, contract and what they can bring to us if we ink them.

Reading the JSonline and Press Gazette is like reading a eulogy on the Packers 09 season because all the talent has been bought off the market. That is hardly the case at this point, they are looking past what we have currently and the fact that none of the players on the market have headlining or at least mainstream names.

"pack93z" wrote:

Definitely agree that writing off the '09 season a week into FA is silly. But I really am getting a little nervous as I watch those 2nd-tier guys dwindle away. I guess I'm just not fully sold that the team can field a competetive squad with only what they draft and the players already on the roster. And this year, of all the years, is one where I don't think just adding a little depth via FA will be sufficient.

As always with Thompson, I hope I'm very wrong.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.