Megatron
15 years ago
I couldn't find a thread about 3-4 OLB in the draft in Packers Draft Talk so I'm starting one!

The main guys that we will be looking at in the draft will probably be these guys. (iI refuse to believe we wont draft a pass rusher. One of the biggest reasons for our failings was that we couldnt sack the QB and McCarthy wants an aggressive defence who can put pressure on the QB)

Everette Brown- 6ft4", 252lbs, 21 years old. He is clearly the most athletic of the bunch. He is a pure pass rusher from what i've seen of him but have seen nothing from him to suggest he can drop back in coverage. His speed is impressive for a guy his size. One knock against him is he apparently weighed 225lbs in his final college game. This suggests he may find it hard to keep his weight especially after a long 16 game season. In the NFL you need weight to have any chance of pushing the OT back and at 225lbs that's practically WR size!!.

Brian Orakpo- 6ft4", 260lbs, 22 years old. Workout freak but is a slower than E.Brown. Not a bad thing as he uses his superior strength to push the OT's back. He's a pure pass rusher. As a physical specimen, it is no surprise that teams are very interested in him.

Aaron Maybin- 6ft4", 236lbs, 20 years old. Just looking at the pictures of him, he looks too skinny to be a OLB. He does have the frame to put on more weight but i don't think he has the body type to push back OT's.

Larry English- 6ft2", 254lbs, 23 years old. He is an excellent pass rusher. he has a wide body girth meaning lower centre of gravity and he wraps his tackles around very well. He is my favourite pick of the entire OLB group. He plays with aggression unlike E. Brown who relies completely on his athleticism. He has a natural motor which i think is important in a 3-4 OLB. Also he is practically a local bloke and should have no problems playing in Green Bay weather. I think he is better than Brown and Orakpo in the long term.

Brian Cushing- 6ft3, 255lbs, 22 years old. Whilst he has the size, he plays more like a ILB than an OLB. I'm immediately put off by him from what I hear about his steroids allegations. I've seen the before and after pics and i have to say it certainly doesn't look natural. I would stay away from him.

Robert Ayers- 6ft3", 270lbs, 23 years old. I like the way he plays. Has that aggression i like. Also he plays at RDE for his college. If Kampman gonna play LOLB, Ayers could naturally play on the right. Whilst he is the heaviest of the lot, he can easily trim down a bit to fit as a 3-4 OLB. He has similar size to Jeremy Thompson.

Clint Sintim- 6ft3", 252lbs, 22 years old. He seems more of an Aaron Curry type player. Whilst he does have the size to play at OLB he seems to play more in coverage rather than rushing the QB. This suggests he is more of an ILB.

Lawrence Sidbury- 6ft4", 265lbs, 23 years old. Only one youtube vid which shows that he plays at LDE and has a good spin move which he used to sack the QB twice. He is captain so may have some leadership abilities.

Jerry Hughes- 6ft3", 260lbs, 21 years old. Has similar dimensions as Suggs but know next to nothing about him.

Cody Brown- 6ft2", 248lbs, 22 years old. I don't know much about him except he comes highly rated.

Which one would you prefer the packers to take and why?

With the 1st draft pick i would rather take Raji as it's important that we have a 2 good NT's to rotate and ensure the success of the 3-4. I would not be too bothered if we miss out on E.Brown and Orakpo as there are other good OLB available in the draft. I would hope with our no.2 pick we could get Larry English.

Are there any other good alternatives that i've not mentioned in the list of players?
blank
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
I think somewhere it said Sidbury has the frame and is the type of player to become a DE in a 3-4, but it would be suggested he'd be drafted to a 4-3 scheme.

I'd like to take one in the first round though, if no one from the top 4 OTs is avaivable. I also like Robert Ayers a lot, but without trading we probably won't get him as he is probably taken between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I'd draft one in the first three rounds, but I wouldn't reach for one.
This is a placeholder
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
I say go for Raji in the 1st round and pick up Larry English in the 2nd.

I wouldn't be upset if we got Orakpo or Brown though.
UserPostedImage
Mortfini
15 years ago
i like the idea of Aaron Maybin cos hes younger i think it fits well with our team of Youngstars plus hes got a extra year to put some weight on

the walter mock draft has us taking Clint Sintim, DE/OLB, Virginia in the 2end round with maybin going 23rd overall to the pats
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago
I'm pretty sure Jerry Hughes returned to TCU unless I missed something.

I prefer Brian Orakpo, but Maybin and Brown will be in play. I really only see three pass rushers in the mix at No. 9 and those are the three.

If you look second round then Clay Matthews and possibly Larry English come into play.

I think Robert Ayers is a pure 4-3 DE so I'm not sure if a 3-4 team looks at him. Anything is possible though as all teams differ.

I think Aaron Maybin is a Ted Thompson guy. Thompson likes his projects and that's what Maybin is.
TengoJuego
15 years ago
I'm glad everyone likes the idea of Maybin playing for us. I too want him to be a Packer.
Dulak
15 years ago

I'm glad everyone likes the idea of Maybin playing for us. I too want him to be a Packer.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/aaron_maybin.html 

I personally dont like the sound of Aaron Maybin for our #9

I would much rather have Brown or Orakpo (ie prefer Brown).
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/everette_brown.html 

Guy sounds like he would be ready to start this next season. Maybin sounds like he's not ready to start in the NFL yet especially as a OLB. 236 and at 6'4 thats way too light IMO.

IMO for our #9 we need a key player and a play maker. Someone that will be a starter for us. Not someone that still needs to 'work' their way up to the ability to play and also add muscle.
packer98
15 years ago
Maybin is way to light for my liking at this time and for the #9 pick. He may have a great future down the road, but instant impact I'm not so sure of at this time. Let's see what he does at his pro day, if he has one.
blank
TengoJuego
15 years ago
I'm sure Maybin was invited to the combine.

And he has the frame to build on. I like him. I think its just as important to take an OLB as it is DT/NT.
15 years ago
Yeah I'd have to think an ideal situation would be if we could trade down and grab Tyson Jackson and Larry English, and then someone like Ron Brace and Meredith later on.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (10h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (14h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (14h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (15h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.