Rockmolder
15 years ago
Changing a base defense not as easy as 1, 2, 3-4

Steve Wyche

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ea8c1d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true 

Packers coach Mike McCarthy opted to switch from a 4-3 defensive front to a 3-4, the same scheme run by the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, who had the top-ranked defense during the regular season. McCarthy hired former Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans head coach Dom Capers as his defensive coordinator to take over the scheme and teach it to players and coaches.

The movement of one player off the line and adding one to the linebacking corps might sound simple -- football is just running, throwing, catching and tackling, right? However, such a shift in philosophy could be as radical as switching from the veer option to the spread offense

Oh, forgot to add, I found this part very interesting.

Editor's note: This is the first in a series of occasional offseason stories following the progress of the Green Bay Packers' installation of a 3-4 defense and the challenges facing teams that switch base formations.

Should be pretty interesting.
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Here's some more from a different article by Pat Kirwan.

Many offseason projects around the NFL are intriguing, but let's take a look at the Packers' conversion from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4.

Bill Parcells once told me that jumping from a 4-3 to a 3-4 isn't easy, and he was reluctant to do it when he first got to Dallas. In fact, he stuck with the undersized speed 4-3 until he gathered enough personnel to make the switch. It took him close to two seasons to build his 3-4 with the Cowboys.

When Bill Belichick took over the New England Patriots in 2000, he developed a hybrid 3-4 that often was more in line with a 4-3 defense. That was until he drafted the front three defensive linemen -- all in the first round -- and his 3-4 was then set in stone.

When Eric Mangini left the Patriots' staff to join the New York Jets, he jumped right into the 3-4 package after the team had spent years in a 4-3, and a number of payers just didn't fit. Middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma and defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson were former first-round draft picks who struggled in the new defense and eventually were shown the door.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80eabdc5&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true 

It disects the positions for the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
I have said it more than once.. you have to have the right dlineman in mindset and skill to make this defense work.. without that you can have all the fringe tweener players you want.. you will fail.

One of the basic reasons I don't see the Packers drafting one of the flashy smaller pass rushing tweeners in the first round.. they are useless unless you have the horses with their hand in the mud.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
I sure hope we either get Chris Canty and/or Igor Olshansky. They'll fill the bill for the DE spot.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

I sure hope we either get Chris Canty and/or Igor Olshansky. They'll fill the bill for the DE spot.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I just read that article and second the Olshansky part. I think he's a pretty good DE, something we really need. Like the article says, we have Jenkins and Montgomery at the positions now.

Even though Jenkins is undersized, I think he'll do pretty good. I just hope he's ok with not getting the sacks while maybe doing double the work. Montgomery, I don't really like. I really hope we get Olshansky to replace him and let Montgomery come in in some kind of rotation from time to time.

5. The weak inside linebacker

Teams can get away with a slightly smaller linebacker at this position as long as the opponent doesn't use a two-tight end set and force him to line up over a guard. Nick Barnett will man the weak inside linebacker spot for the Packers and should be fine. The more often the 5-technique player to his side crashes down into the gap in front of Barnett, the more he will be free to run and hit.

Also saw this. That might be somewhat of a problem while being in a division with the Bears, but I guess we'll always have some kind of weakness.
beast
15 years ago

Like the article says, we have Jenkins and Montgomery at the positions now.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

No body has Montgomery, he's an UFA and I've heard that he and Cole turned down offers from the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

Like the article says, we have Jenkins and Montgomery at the positions now.

"beast" wrote:

No body has Montgomery, he's an UFA and I've heard that he and Cole turned down offers from the Packers.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Well, lets put it like this, we currently have him projected at that position, looking at our current roster.

I didn't know about him turning down the offers. I don't know what he's going to do, but good luck to him. I asume he'll end up a back-up somewhere.

He would've made a good back-up for a starting 3-4, but hey, this only forces Ted to sign someone, lets hope it's someone with experience in the 3-4.
dhazer
15 years ago
Well in the article they mentioned one name that is rumored to be cut by the Dallas Cowgirls and thats Greg Ellis, maybe bring him in for the 3-4. But we all know Teddy won't do much in free agency (hint part of my answer for another thread lol)
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago
It's obviously not easy.

The Packers will need to make moves this off season in order to make the transition more smooth. I could literally see a nose tackle, defensive end, outside linebacker, and strong safety brought into the mix this off season in some way.

I also think people need to remember that the defense just needs to be average and the Packers will probably be better. Last year the defense was bad and the offense was great and they were in nearly every game. If the defense can rank 17th in yardage and 14th in points and the offense continue it's success, Green Bay should be able to win the NFC North unless Minnesota finds a QB.
gopackgo
15 years ago
I wonder if we would have switched had we not landed Capers. I didn't really pay much attention to news after the regular season ended. Was there talk of moving to a 3-4 before the announcement of Capers?

Either way, I'm glad he's the one heading up this project.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (20h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (22h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.