Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
On this websites current poll / survey there are three people that voted that the Capers hire was a bad hire..

We will discount 1 or two for our resident Viking fans.. so that leaves room for one person that thinks it is a bad hire legitimately. :lol:

So it got me to thinking, what are the potential problems or issues with the hire or the 3-4 philosophy.

First and foremost is the fit of the current staff up front.. whom goes where..

Beyond that or incredibly in depth on alignment issues with the staff.

One I can think of is playing zone in the secondary, we aren't very strong at it.. meaning we aren't disciplined enough to stay within our zones properly..

Others?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I think it will light a fire under the players keesters. It's something new and for the most part, proven to work. I think this will tell us who are REAL team players are on our DL and LB corp. I say that because I feel some roles will be changed.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
This is a bit off-topic maybe, but why would we have to play zone? I don't know all that much about this, so I'm just asking.

I mean, to me it would make sense that if you play man, you can play alot of cover 1 and blitz two LBs at the same time or a corner on nearly every play. Maybe fall back with one from time to time and we could still rush one extra guy, or even play double coverage on a D-line rush, only.

I must be missing something here though. 😛
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago

This is a bit off-topic maybe, but why would we have to play zone? I don't know all that much about this, so I'm just asking.

I mean, to me it would make sense that if you play man, you can play alot of cover 1 and blitz two LBs at the same time or a corner on nearly every play. Maybe fall back with one from time to time and we could still rush one extra guy, or even play double coverage on a D-line rush, only.

I must be missing something here though. :p

"Rockmolder" wrote:

We don't have to play zone.. but Capers has stated he will mix it up.. so that means rolling zone on the backend of the defense.. I am not worried about the safeties as much as I am worried about the outer hashes of the field.

That and 15 yard deep middles... none of our backers have shown the discipline to drop deep enough in zone.. the little we played.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Aah, ok, thanks for clearing that up, Pack93.

One thing I'm wondering about, is somewhat in the lines of what Zero said. Will our players like this new scheme? I mean, it's a pretty 'lousy' job to be a D-lineman in this defense. Especially if your LBs haven't proven anything last year. I wouldn't like to see anyone leaving this off-season.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago

Aah, ok, thanks for clearing that up, Pack93.

One thing I'm wondering about, is somewhat in the lines of what Zero said. Will our players like this new scheme? I mean, it's a pretty 'lousy' job to be a D-lineman in this defense. Especially if your LBs haven't proven anything last year. I wouldn't like to see anyone leaving this off-season.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Playing the line in a 3-4 bites.. :lol:

The only player that might object IMO, well two.. Kampman because it is a contract year and Jenkins because he won't get a ton of props. But Jenks got paid already, well for the next 3 years I think.. so it should keep him quiet.

The storm might be Kampman if his stats decline and the Packers don't ante up.

Can't say how much playing line in a 3-4 is a thankless stat draining job.. you have to have the right players in terms of mindset, talents and ambition to make it work.

But another point of note.. well done Rock. +1
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
I don't know who voted he was a bad hire, but either guys like McCarthy, Capers and Lombardi (from the article wils put in that other thread) are flat-out lying to us, or our personnel is not the bad fit for the scheme that so many here are making it out to be.

As far as coverage, if Tomlin can shift the Steelers' 3-4 to man/press, why can't Capers do that in Green Bay?

Obviously, McC isn't going to go into a presser and say "we're switching to a 3-4 even though we don't have the horses for it" - I'm not entirely naive and can see that some of this is a sell job, but I still have to wonder if perhaps we here don't quite know defenses and personnel matching as well as the guys who are paid to do it. I just don't see Capers trying to implement a scheme if he doesn't think the players he's got to work with can play that scheme - it doesn't fit his track record at all.

That aside, lots of folks here are obviously concerned about the current personnel fitting the scheme, so I would assume that would be the reason that someone felt it was a bad hire.
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago
I think the only real areas of concern when talking about the 3-4 alignment and current roster is three items..

1. Is anyone of your current backers stout enough to stand up inside, fight off blocks and play down hill.

2. Depth at DE in the 3-4.

3. Player specific, how and where does Kampman fit in, arguably the best player we currently have in the box?

Others can be shifted around to make it work.. So I don't buy that is a sole reason to mark this a bad hire or bad call switching to the 3-4.

Just my opinion.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago
Come.. there has to be some honest concerns with the direction or hire..

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? :lol:
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Maybe we have three Vikings fans?
UserPostedImage