Packnic
15 years ago
Dont have any links to transcripts or video's just yet.

The presser actually got started on time which is weird.

Very impressed with a lot of things he said. I think he is the anti-Sanders. not that i was a "off with Sanders head" guy or anything. But Capers stressed several times that there rigidness is foolishness. Doesn't seem like hes a guy to get a scheme and stick to it. Not gonna blitz you to death if protection is your best aspect, stuff like that. Also seemed confidentish in the players currently on the roster.

I am very happy with the hire just off first impression. Apparently he was won over in the interview process, said it was a class organization and that everything went smoothly and it seemed to be the "perfect marriage".

anyone else see it and want to throw out your first impression?
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
didn't see it! didn't know about it! I KNEW i was working too hard yesterday, being totally oblivious to this PC.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Full text from Packnic's link... I like the statement and belief that you fit defense to personnel.. much more comfortable than Mike McCarthy presser yesterday.

I think this is going to be a quality fit.

Capers addresses media
New Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers is scheduled to make his debut behind the podium at 9 a.m. today. Refresh for updates as he answers questions.

* Opening statement: "I'm excited to be here and be a Packer. I feel much better about being here than the last time I was here (in the 1996 championship game). ... Hopefully, we can get back there and have that same kind of feeling again." Always had respect for tradition, fan support. That influenced decision to come here.

* What see personnel that fits well with scheme and what still needs? Early to give legitimate comment. "I've made the transition many times with going to different places." Gone to 4-3 teams; how gradually evolve depends on personnel. It's a mistake to come in and say have cookie-cutter defense and try to fit personnel to that. Must fit defense and fit to personnel you have.

* Where were past transitions from 4-3? Most clear was when left Carolina, went to Jacksonville. Always go through and evaluate strengths and weaknesses. Key is molding to players' strengths.

* On being aggressive: "If you can play aggressively and stop the run, that's the best of both worlds. I think that's where things have to start." Must stop run to dictate down and distance -- that allows to be aggressive and give offense problems.

* Where learn defense? Been blessed to be around good coaches. Worked in college with three coaches of the year, used some elements there. Worked in USFL with Jim Mora. Had two good years with elements of this defense. When went to New Orleans, all went together and brought along same defense, which worked well except against San Francisco. Eventually won division title over San Francisco. Then joined Bill Cowher's staff at Pittsburgh. Pressure packages were part of evolution of zone scheme. By third year with Steelers, players caught on and were doing more pressure.

* What like to do in coverage? "I think your coverage has got to be a combination of pressure and coverage." Better pressure equals better coverage. Have to mix coverage. "I think you have to be able to change up, and it's got to be a combination of pressure, coverage and disguise." Can't let teams know what you're doing.

* How keep it simple? Start with a process. "Everything has to be pretty well-defined." Job as coaches are to remove gray area. More can do that's simple for defense and tough for offense, the better the defense will be. Have to have attention to detail.

* Met Mike McCarthy before Friday? Yes. "I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for what he's done offensively. ... Offensively, I've always thought he's been one of the very best coaches."

* What was interview process? "It was a typical interview." Been on both sides of it. Got to know each other, talked about McCarthy's vision. Thought it was very informative. Thought it was a class organization. Had great visit with Mark Murphy. "It was very professional, all the way from when you're picked up at the airport and the accomodations and all those things." Made impression because those are all things he wanted to have when he was a head coach -- organized, detailed. "I've been very, very impressed, and first impressions I think are always important."

* What's dynamic as former head coach? "I think that's a good question." As head coach, knew what you were looking for in assistants -- now as assistant, try to be that guy. Must clearly define role and do best in that role that you're capable of.

* Hard to step back in that fashion and fill that role? "I've done it a number of times. It's kind of exciting. It's exciting to come in and have a new challenge. That's why we got into this business to begin with ... so I don't think it's that hard." If let ego get involved, won't be around long.

* Want to be a head coach again? "Well, not with an expansion team. You never say never. The approach I've always taken is if you do the very best job (with what you have) there will always be opportunities that present itself." Would have to be right situation. Goal now is to make defense as good as possible.

* Scheme impacted by what picked up from Bill Belichick? "You're never too old to learn something new." One thing excited about going to Patriots last year was being in successful organization. Did learn some things, hopefully can utilize.

* Vision really similar to McCarthy's? Had really good conversations. Always interesting to get offense's perspective on what causes problems, which McCarthy provided. "There's a lot of teams using different styles of 3-4s in the league right now." Pittsburgh, Dallas, New England all have own styles. "I felt good about our conversations."

* Giants contact? Don't think there's any benefit of going into those conversations. "I had conversations with numerous teams. ... I felt this was the best match." Had dinner with McCarthy on Friday, interviewed Saturday, talked two or three times on Sunday.

* Make an offer couldn't refuse? "It was a matter of fit." Felt comfortable.

* Some thought this isn't ideal defense for Aaron Kampman -- make a comparison to another guy? Know Kampman's been a very good player. "I think the No. 1 thing you do is adapt" scheme to good football players. Take 11 best and adapt to get them on the field. "It's about players and scheme, but it's probably more" about players. Put good players out in any scheme and they'll be successful.

* See that in linebackers, like A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett? Both have been good football players. "I'm really in the preliminary stages" of looking at the roster. Thinks there's some possibilities.

* So, what do next? Immerse in film room, evaluate personnel have, come away with some impressions of what they do well and what can feature. Then, start to meet as defensive staff and go through step-by-step process.

* How much input in filling out staff? McCarthy will make decisions, but will be involved, will meet with them.

* Important to have coaches that have coached in 3-4 before? No. 1 priority is to have good assistant coaches. Must be good teachers in classroom, must be thorough, must be sound fundamentalists and must have good work ethic.

* What's important of nose tackle in scheme? Very important. Different style of nose tackle. Some can sit in there and play head-up (two gap), others on edge of center (one gap). Need big, physical guys that are hard to knock off the ball.

* What's your coaching style? Try to develop approach that handles ups and downs -- be consistent, but demanding. Try to define expectations. Communication is a key.

* What stands out about 1996 NFC championship game? Had won eight in a row, unbeaten at home, lot of momentum coming in. Game started well, up 10-3, and missed throw into end zone. From that point on, started to go against. "The Packers had the best team in the league that year. They were No. 1 in offense, they were No. 1 in defense. ... It's awful hard to get your offense and your defense that good at the same time." Remembers an assistant coach on the sideline warming hands on one of blowers, and his laminated game plan had melted and caught his gloves on fire.

* What percent like to pressure on passes? "That varies. It varies on the team, really. ... It's foolish if you know people are going to protect ... to keep bringing pressure and isolate guys in one-on-one coverage." Must have combination of things to disguise, come out of pressure, hit with pressure when not expecting. If expecting pressure every down, will sit back and protect all day.

That's it for now. Check back for more analysis later in the day and stop by my live chat from 1 to 2 p.m.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Since69
15 years ago
I like a lot of his answers. I think Thompson and McCarthy found a good one.

I'm already jacked up for 2009. Is it September yet?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

* What like to do in coverage? "I think your coverage has got to be a combination of pressure and coverage." Better pressure equals better coverage. Have to mix coverage. "I think you have to be able to change up, and it's got to be a combination of pressure, coverage and disguise." Can't let teams know what you're doing.

I love this answer. It echoes exactly what I was saying yesterday in another thread. I am seriously looking forward to next season.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I love this answer. It echoes exactly what I was saying yesterday in another thread. I am seriously looking forward to next season.

lol I was about to quote the same thing. Excellent answer he gave and that paragraph alone makes me feel a whole lot better because I never remember hearing Bob Sanders say those types of things.
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Yeah, I read it on packers.com earlier.

He seems like he's going to make adjustments in games that are necessary, and that's something Bob Sanders couldn't do for some unknown reason.

COME ON SEPTEMBER!

(By the way, when do the schedules come out?)
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
After listening to the presser, I think it'll take 3 years for us fans to see the fruits of Capers' labour.

He's a great coach, but I got the sense that in year 1 he's just going to worry about teaching the scheme, and trying to get his players comfortable in it. I believe that means a much more simplistic version of a 3-4.

Year 2, I think we'll see Capers start to install a lot more of what he wants to do, since the learning phase of the transition will be behind him. This means we'll see more of Capers true nature of what he wants to do.

Year 3 I expect big things. Capers, from the looks and sound of it, is experienced and knowledgeable enough to have good scheme development, and that's what Mike McCarthy loves. It should be fun to see what Capers does if he stays that long.

The main concern at this point though has to be if Capers can stay on long enough to get his scheme in place and have the players start to gel in it.

Also, I'm beyond excited about the prospects of this Defense in the future if Capers stays on long enough to head it.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

After listening to the presser, I think it'll take 3 years for us fans to see the fruits of Capers' labour.

He's a great coach, but I got the sense that in year 1 he's just going to worry about teaching the scheme, and trying to get his players comfortable in it. I believe that means a much more simplistic version of a 3-4.

Year 2, I think we'll see Capers start to install a lot more of what he wants to do, since the learning phase of the transition will be behind him. This means we'll see more of Capers true nature of what he wants to do.

Year 3 I expect big things. Capers, from the looks and sound of it, is experienced and knowledgeable enough to have good scheme development, and that's what Mike McCarthy loves. It should be fun to see what Capers does if he stays that long.

The main concern at this point though has to be if Capers can stay on long enough to get his scheme in place and have the players start to gel in it.

Also, I'm beyond excited about the prospects of this Defense in the future if Capers stays on long enough to head it.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Huh. What worries me about this is that if the D isn't good enough to help the team succeed in Year 1 ("succeed" probably means at least a playoffs berth, maybe more), he'll be out on the streets with Thompson and McCarthy before year 2.

But you make good sense - I have a hard time seeing the whole new scheme installed and humming along in one off-season.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (17h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (18h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (21h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (21h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (21h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
23m / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.