Zero2Cool
15 years ago

As the lone rookie in the Packers' 2008 receiving corps, Jordy Nelson often had to make the food run during the afternoon break between practice and meetings, so his fellow receivers had something to eat during their daily card game.

Fortunately for Nelson and the Packers, his first season amounted to much more than being that gang's go-fer.

Nelson made the most significant on-field impact of the Packers' 2008 rookie class, and if a player's biggest jump as a professional is supposed to come between Year 1 and Year 2, then 2009 could be a whale of a season for the young wideout.

To hear Nelson tell it, 2008 was all about getting his bearings in the pro game. With James Jones in and out of the lineup with a knee injury, Nelson got more time as the team's No. 3 receiver than many expected, and that only accelerated his development.

"I was glad to get on the field, get that experience, that way my second year is not my first year still, so I feel good about that," Nelson said.

"I got a full grasp of the offense, and I feel real comfortable. I'm not thinking as much out there, I'm just out there hearing the play and playing football. That's a big step to get to, and when you're just out there relaxed and playing football, you play faster and you're able to make more plays."

Nelson made a big play right away, catching a 29-yard touchdown pass at Detroit in Week 2 for his first NFL reception, and he followed that up with back-to-back four-catch games in Weeks 3 and 4.

But it was around Week 6, at Seattle, when the coaching staff started to notice Nelson "playing fast." At that point, his comfort level was rising rapidly.

He had another four-catch day in the win over the Seahawks, and he went on to get seven more multi-reception games, giving him 10 in all and finishing with 33 catches for 366 yards and two scores.

Like the two receivers who preceded him as rookies in Green Bay - Greg Jennings in 2006 and Jones in 2007 - Nelson received compliments from the coaches on his route-running for a young player. He has established a strong foundation with that skill that bodes well for his future.

"I think it got better throughout the year," he said. "You learn some new routes obviously with a new offense and stuff, so it progressed. That's one thing I look forward to in the offseason is really fine-tuning all those, learning different ways to run them so you're not doing the same thing every time."

The continued work on the route-running will go hand-in-hand with the other parts of his game that need more seasoning.

"Just some fundamental things -- working on releases, getting off the jam, beating press coverage, maybe some separation at the top of the route -- little things like that I think he'll work hard at in the offseason," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "I have confidence he'll do that. And I think just another year in the system, maybe some more timing and anticipation with the quarterback, all those things will come with time."

As a 23-year-old catching passes from a 25-year-old quarterback, Nelson seemingly has plenty of time.

He feels he developed a good rapport with Aaron Rodgers in their first year together, which is significant because even though Rodgers was in his first year as the starter, he had been a backup for three years and had worked in training camp and practices for a collective eight-plus years with Donald Driver (three), Jennings (two), Jones (one) and Ruvell Martin (two-plus) heading into 2008.

"It's obviously night and day from the beginning," Nelson said of the communication with his quarterback. "That's going to be the way it is, because when you come in, you've never met the guy and then you play a whole year with him. I think that's something that's really grown and really gotten to a good connection. Hopefully that will continue to grow and we'll be able to read each other's minds."

The coaching staff likes and appreciates Nelson's eagerness to learn and improve, and they expect that to continue into his first professional offseason of workouts. Head Coach Mike McCarthy often refers to "ascending players" in his program, and Nelson definitely fits that bill.

If his arc continues upward, his impact should only increase.

"I think he's very detailed, he's good fundamentally, he has good hands, he's disciplined in his route running, has good speed," Philbin said. "I'm excited about utilizing him potentially more next year and seeing him become even more productive of a player."

Whether or not Nelson has even more competition for playing time in 2009 remains to be seen. With the top five receivers currently on the roster, it would seem unlikely the Packers would add a high-profile receiver this year, but that's what many thought heading into 2008, yet here came Nelson as the Packers' first draft choice, a second-rounder and the 36th overall pick, in April.

Should there be another young up-and-comer brought in for next season, that wouldn't change Nelson's approach to the game. It might even pay immediate dividends for him.

"Hopefully we can get another one in here," Nelson said, "and he can go buy me some food."

UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

"Hopefully we can get another one in here," Nelson said, "and he can go buy me some food."

"Jordy Nelson" wrote:

Haha, that's funny right there.

I didn't read the hole article, just some highlights but I know Jordy is a good WR.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
I really like his attitude. This pick has definitely grown on me. I thought it was about a B- to B pick when it happened.
UserPostedImage
evad04
15 years ago
I like Jordy. I think he'll be a good player for us. That said, I hope James Jones is healthy next season and gets playing time. I think he has tons of talent. He had almost twice as many catches and yards in his rookie campaign compared to Jordy.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Healthy #80
Healthy #85
Healthy #89
Healthy #87
Healthy #82

Look out!
UserPostedImage
evad04
15 years ago

Healthy #80
Healthy #85
Healthy #89
Healthy #87
Healthy #82

Look out!

"bozz_2006" wrote:

If you line them up by height you'd have Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Martin. That'd make for a good picture ... the Packers' "Fab Five."
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
bozz_2006
15 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
...and that was about when i stopped watching basketball.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Heh, I used to be a big Jalen Rose fan.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
15 years ago
I liked the pick in the last draft. Okay, we didn't need another receiver but when you look at those numbers listed;

yikes! I am seriously looking forward to next season, so damn far away.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (28m) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (2h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (2h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (4h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (5h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (16h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (18h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (18h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (18h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (18h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Mucky Tundra

13m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

43m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.