Cheesey
15 years ago

Ted Thompson should consider going after a couple free agents for defense...Or he could get the best DC in the world and HE and Mike McCarthy will still both lose their jobs.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I doubt that. More likely if the team struggles next year they could be both out, irrespective of who or how many FAs they target.

"agopackgo4" wrote:

Thats much closer to the truth then agopack's comment.

It amazes me how some people think that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are ONLY concerned with the money part. Does anyone really thing thats it? What faster way to lose their jobs then to NOT try to find the best assistant coaches and players then they can get.
But a GOOD GM looks at all the aspects. Otherwise you kill your teams future for alot of "maybes" by destroying your team with salary cap problems. Ted Thompson has got the team where they can now get some players to hopefully put together a run for many years, not just a one time shot.

Now.....if they DO tank this coming season, they may just find themselves out. And i'm SURE they realize that. That is why the major shakeup on the D coaching and special teams coaching sides.

I myself am willing to see what they can do now, before calling for their heads.
We weren't that far from doing well this past year, and were only really blown out in one game. This coming season will tell all as far as just how close we are to building a long time powerhouse, or a long time dissapointment.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago

interesting read,like the fact Ted is kind of saying look at other people don't settle on one person the guy hit the nail on the head.When he said 49ers defense wasn't all that good with Nolan around and so true we need a coach who will be ,aggressive and go hard every time they take the field.

"gbpfan" wrote:

I think you have to judge a guy on his entire coaching career, not just his last, Mike McCarthy would have never been hired had Ted Thompson just looked at his work in San Fransisco. There offense was terrible, yet Mike McCarthy was hired.

Nolan is probably as good as anyone our there, nobody will know until the hiring actually happens what Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are thinking,
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
dfosterf
15 years ago

Ted Thompson should consider going after a couple free agents for defense...Or he could get the best DC in the world and HE and Mike McCarthy will still both lose their jobs.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I doubt that. More likely if the team struggles next year they could be both out, irrespective of who or how many FAs they target.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Thats much closer to the truth then agopack's comment.

It amazes me how some people think that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are ONLY concerned with the money part. Does anyone really thing thats it? What faster way to lose their jobs then to NOT try to find the best assistant coaches and players then they can get.
But a GOOD GM looks at all the aspects. Otherwise you kill your teams future for alot of "maybes" by destroying your team with salary cap problems. Ted Thompson has got the team where they can now get some players to hopefully put together a run for many years, not just a one time shot.

Now.....if they DO tank this coming season, they may just find themselves out. And i'm SURE they realize that. That is why the major shakeup on the D coaching and special teams coaching sides.

I myself am willing to see what they can do now, before calling for their heads.
We weren't that far from doing well this past year, and were only really blown out in one game. This coming season will tell all as far as just how close we are to building a long time powerhouse, or a long time dissapointment.

"agopackgo4" wrote:

The depth of the salary cap issue and payroll has only been lightly addressed as regards the 2009 season. Nonstop is working on the issue, and I have been looking into the issue extensively also. My perspective is that Ted Thompson is doing a magnificent job in placing this team in a position to explore all options, at least from the money standpoint. The argument that he is money-centric or whatever...I will leave to others.

We have PLENTY of money and cap room. I'm not going to steal non-stop's thunder on this, but I will say this. With all of the machinations that went on, including the latest "bogus bonus" given out on the 26th of December, the "Cap Guy" that I follow came within 19 dollars of the Packers final cap figure for 2008, and he has some fantastic news for 2009, especially in the "dead money" arena. He published in November...the dude is good. Ted Thompson may or may not be "cheap", but he is damn sure smart, imo.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (13h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (15h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (18h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (19h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.