Martha Careful
a month ago
Barrons wrote:

TikTok Is the Latest U.S.-China Battleground, What Investors Should Watch for Next.
And 5 Other Things to Know Before Markets Open.

The uproar in Congress over popular Chinese-owned social-media platform TikTok represents a steady evolution of tension between the world’s two biggest economies. It won’t be the last chapter.

On a day when the House of Representatives votes on a bill seeking to ban TikTok in the U.S., or at least force it to sever ties with its Chinese parent ByteDance, the issue underscores the value of big data—not just for marketing, but for national security.

The concern among lawmakers is that TikTok may be able to give the data harvested from its millions of users to someone else—the Chinese government, for example. That information could then be used for nefarious purposes—for example spying or extortion. TikTok denies that it is an agent of the Chinese state or any other, and says it poses no greater risk to the U.S. than YouTube or Instagram, owned by Alphabet and Meta Platforms respectively—two American companies.

Still, it isn’t a crazy idea. Anyone who’s seen an advertisement pop up on their phone for a product they might have casually talked about with friends understands how intrusive modern-day technology can be.

To be fair, an app as widespread as TikTok might have become a worry for U.S. officials even if it were owned by a close ally such as the U.K. or Japan. But the reason it’s a problem now is because of the emerging economic rivalry with China.
—Brian Swint

Can someone explain to me in simple terms (predicated on my following political belief that China is the greatest external threat to our freedoms and our way of life) the following:

1. Why Tiktok being owned by the Chicoms matter...I know its not ideal, but how is it different that Meta selling the data they collect to third parties which will ultimate get to Chicoms anyway?

2. As the article mentions, when you are searching for and item (I am not sure about having a conversation) then get pop-up ads...how is that kosher/legal. How do I turn off the phones ability to sell or provide conversation/search results to anyone?

3. Moreover, aren't there (shouldn't there be) privacy settings on phones and computers which limit access and/or distribution or our data?
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
a month ago
I don't know who or what a Chicom is, nor if they own TikTok.

The bill to ban TikTok is going to give the Government too much control over the internet. It's basically a poison pill bill. What's new with the Government though.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
a month ago
Chinese communists
Zero2Cool
a month ago
When this was brought up about a year ago, I tried disclosing some warnings/concerns of mine.

If this is passed, it's horrible.
How Government going to remove the TikTok from devices?
How Government going to know who has it installed?

To know who has it installed, our devices will be scanned and then flagged as such. If the device is flagged, then it'll be "cleansed" of the app. This will be done remotely and unlikely to be under our control. And guess what? That little process that scans the devices will remain there to ensure TikTok is NOT once again installed. Hello Big Brother!

You can call me conspiracy nut, but technology is one thing I'm familiar with. I am telling you, we cannot let this happen. I hate TikTok, rather, I hate how it's misused, but that's a HUMAN problem, not a Government overreaching political toy.
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
a month ago
thank you so much for replying. I greatly value your opinion. I will call my senators and urge them not to vote for the legislation.
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
a month ago

thank you so much for replying. I greatly value your opinion. I will call my senators and urge them not to vote for the legislation.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Probably good idea. If there's no disclosure on HOW they'll know who has it installed and HOW they will remove it. I'm not liking that open-ended intrusion.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a month ago

Probably good idea. If there's no disclosure on HOW they'll know who has it installed and HOW they will remove it. I'm not liking that open-ended intrusion.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I was reading an article about social media access in North Korea. Or the lack thereof. Phones are set up to only engage within North Korea. Fines and prison are given to violators. No phones from outside countries are allowed.

I don't have tik tok. I don't want it. I can't imagine ever wanting it. If people know that it's owned by a Chinese corporation (and by now they should its been in the news often enough over the past 5 years.) that is THEIR CHOICE not Washington.

When I hear tik tok I think of
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a month ago

I was reading an article about social media access in North Korea. Or the lack thereof. Phones are set up to only engage within North Korea. Fines and prison are given to violators. No phones from outside countries are allowed.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I think it's the data the US wants access to. TikTok syphons a crap ton of it. The US is probably like hey, HEY, we want in on that!! So, the likely outcome is some behind the scenes "agreement" where China shares the data with the US. Ultimately, the US isn't worried about our privacy. They're just wanting to infringe on it. At least, that is my speculation. Maybe the Edward Snowden thing has me unnecessarily pessimistic though. Especially with projects like ThinThread.

UserPostedImage
earthquake
a month ago
Kevin's take on this is more or less where I stand. For context, I work in software development, though not in data/personal information management so I'm not an expert on this topic in particular.

Anyway, it's my understanding that there are a couple of issues here:
1. The US government would like better access to the information that TikTok gathers from its users, like they have with Facebook, Instagram, Google, etc. TikTok being owned by a Chinese company greatly complicates this. This is the main purpose of the bill/the push to force a sale of TikTok.
2. Many people under 30 years old get a significant amount of their information from TikTok. A lot of kids basically use TikTok as a replacement for Google - as a search engine - which is strange because it's more of a social media platform. Anyway, there's some McCarthy-esq handwringing over this and the general idea that TikTok is an evil communist propaganda tool that is brainwashing the children. We see this kind of alarmism every generation - it was Rock and Roll, MTV, and video games that were responsible for corrupting the youth, and now it's TikTok. This is a convenient smokescreen for some potentially insidious stuff (see #1).

As Kevin mentions, the government really should not be looking to control what websites we can visit or what applications we are able to install on our phones, aside from cases where the sites or apps in question break some kind of law (drugs, trafficking, black-market, scams, etc). Not only is it a gross violation of our basic freedoms, it's not even remotely practical for the government to enact such policies. Even if one would like TikTok to be banned, the precedence it would set for the government's ability to control information and how private corporations are run is concerning.

Thankfully most people in the government don't know how to use computers, let alone how the internet or apps work, so the likelihood of this happening or being successful is quite low. Additionally, it seems unlikely that the Senate will act on the bill the House passed in any case. It's more political theatre than anything approaching governance, as is all too common with bills that leave the House.
blank
earthquake
a month ago

3. Moreover, aren't there (shouldn't there be) privacy settings on phones and computers which limit access and/or distribution or our data?

Just to touch on this one. Sometimes the user has control over what information is available to an app or service. Sometimes (often) you not only agree to terms and conditions when you install the app, but agree to share or even give ownership of your information and other data (such as photos, videos, and any text you might post through the app). Often these agreements are mandatory if you want to install or use the application.

If anyone here has a Facebook account, please understand that all content you post there is effectively the legal property of Facebook. The typical justification for these kind of terms of service agreements is that without your express consent or transfer of ownership of the information, Facebook could not post it on your behalf. The more accurate (and cynical view), is that these companies mine and sell this information for all sorts of purposes. Generally, the information is anonymized, Facebook doesn't sell your name and address to its ad partners, but it does sell your interests, patterns, and behaviors.

There are more insidious uses for this information as well, training machine learning models (artificial intelligence) being one of them. The entire state of the AI industry is basically the wild-wild-west right now, with no one being quite sure if the models have been trained on data they were legally allowed to possess, or if any content created by the models could ever be owned - owned in the sense of intellectual property/copywrite. And people in the government - the same chaps I mentioned before that don't really understand how computers or the internet work - are going to have to figure out how to make laws governing this stuff. It's going to be an absolute mess.

Anyway, getting back on track here, often the only way to completely opt out of these data mining operations is to not use these services or applications at all. If you don't want any information getting out there, you probably shouldn't own a computer, smart phone, or use the internet either. That is to say, some aspects of your online activity are being constantly tracked, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

11h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.