nerdmann
a month ago
I love Jones too, but he did spend a good deal of time hurt. More time as he got older.

Remember Rosenhaus is negotiating for him now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
a month ago

Oh FUCK OFF Minnesota!
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Martha Careful
a month ago
Rob Demovsky wrote (MC emphasis and comments)

Why did Packers choose Josh Jacobs over Aaron Jones at RB?

Mar 12, 2024, 06:00 AM ET

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers did not set out to sign a big-name running back, but when talks with Aaron Jones about a pay cut broke down late last week, they quickly pivoted over the weekend and decided to go after free agent Josh Jacobs.

By early Monday afternoon, the team made one of their most seismic shifts at a position in recent history -- aside from last year's transition from Aaron Rodgers to Jordan Love -- when they cut Jones and agreed to a four-year, $48 million deal with Jacobs, who spent his first five seasons with the Las Vegas Raiders.

Based on information from several parties with knowledge of the events, it was clear that things changed quickly -- especially considering that when Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst was asked less than six weeks ago whether Jones would be back, he said "absolutely." (MC: this was a mistake, it gave Rosenhaus a false sense of leverage)

Jones was due to make $12 million in salary and bonuses in 2024 and had a salary cap number north of $17 million. The Packers had asked Jones to cut those numbers significantly; this after Jones took a $5 million pay cut from $16 million to $11 million last year. At one point early last week, the Packers thought Jones might be open to a deal.

But by Friday, Jones and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, informed Gutekunst and vice president of football operations Russ Ball, the team's contract negotiator, that they would not take a pay cut as sizeable as the one the Packers proposed.

The Packers didn't want to leave Jones hanging over the weekend, so they essentially told him they would have to move on and turn their attention elsewhere.

They could have held on to Jones until Wednesday, when the new league year begins and contracts can officially be signed. But they didn't want to put Jones in a position where, if he changed his mind about a pay cut, the Packers would have to tell him the offer no longer stood.

So, given his long history of loyalty to the organization and the respect he has from the organization and the fans, they released Jones on Monday so he could immediately begin talking to other teams.

It was a risk, given that the Jacobs deal could, theoretically, fall through between now and Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET, when free agents can formally sign with new teams.

In a statement released by the team on Monday, Gutekunst called moving on from Jones "one of the hardest decisions we've had to make in my time with the Packers and not one taken lightly."

"He has not only had a significant impact on the field and in the locker room, but he is one of the most beloved players in the community," Gutekunst added.

Gutekunst and coach Matt LaFleur no doubt liked Jacobs in part because at age 26, he's three years younger than Jones, so they could potentially have their starting running back spot solidified for the next three to four years. If the 29-year-old Jones came back, this would almost certainly be his final season in Green Bay.

While Jacobs might not be a guy LaFleur would line up in the slot or outside as a receiver like he did at times with Jones, the Packers believe his versatility as a rusher and receiver make him dynamic. In terms of play style, the Packers see him as an Eddie Lacy in his prime -- a powerful back who defenders don't want to tackle in the open field.

The Packers will have to add at least one more running back via free agency or the draft, but it won't have to be expensive or come in an early round. AJ Dillon, who backed up Jones the past four years, is a free agent and likely will land elsewhere. They still have Emanuel Wilson, who got a qualifying tender offer as an exclusive rights free agent on Monday.

Exactly how much Gutekunst and Ball spent on Monday won't be known until the structure of all deals become available, but it's safe to say it was their biggest spending spree since the opening day of free agency in 2019, when they spent $182 million in 24 hours by signing Adrian Amos, Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith and Billy Turner.

In addition to Jacobs, they agreed to terms with former Giants safety Xavier McKinney on a four-year, $68 million deal. Like the Raiders, the Giants tried to retain McKinney, but the Packers outbid them. McKinney became their top target after the Buccaneers placed the franchise tag on Antoine Winfield Jr.

In order to make room for Jacobs and McKinney under the salary cap, the Packers also released left tackle David Bakhtiari on Monday and will release linebacker De'Vondre Campbell on Wednesday.

Gutekunst might not be done in free agency, but the bulk of his work came on Monday.

I am not sure I am buying what Matt Schneidman is selling, ..they may have started there in negotiation, but would have settled for something in between.

As noted above, I think Gutey gave Rosenhaus leverage with his comments. Employers many times give you a great review or a raise right before firing.
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
a month ago
The fact is Aaron Jones can't stay on the field. He's an incredible human. He's a helluva RB. But his body hasn't held up and he's almost 30 years old. We've seen RB fall off a cliff at 30.

This sucks. And this is also a better move for the Packers. And it doesn't impact the draft at all. In other words. I'm still taking a RB on day two.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
a month ago
Jones to the Vikings. Fuck. Gotta see him twice a year now. Sounds like Jones is pissed off at the organization (understandably).

Did not expect this from him at all. But good for him.
UserPostedImage
beast
a month ago

Jones to the Vikings. Fuck. Gotta see him twice a year now. Sounds like Jones is pissed off at the organization (understandably).

Did not expect this from him at all. But good for him.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

I can understand being pissed off, but I can't help but wonder if they might of overplayed their market.

I mean, refuse to sign with the Packers for $6 million, then reportedly sign a one year, $7 million deal with the Vikings?

I was totally on Jones side, $6 million was too low, but if he's signing for $7 million, then it seems the Packers were the correct ones about his market, at the very least they were in the ball park... and we don't know if $6 million was the starting or ending point of negotiations.

Just $1 million wasn't worth ruining that relationship and bond.
UserPostedImage
beast
a month ago
One interesting note, Josh Jacobs and Aaron Jones BOTH might very well be running behind better run blocking OLs than they had last year, which might make them both look better.
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
a month ago

I can understand being pissed off, but I can't help but wonder if they might of overplayed their market.
Just $1 million wasn't worth ruining that relationship and bond.

Originally Posted by: beast 

1. Correct
2. The $1mm is worth it to his agent...after taxes its less than 600k.

Go Packers!!!!
Martha Careful
a month ago
Tyler Dunne wrote (emphasis by MC):

Why the Green Bay Packers, title contenders, got this right

MAR 12, 2024

March madness commenced at high noon. Deals lit up phones. The Green Bay Packers, an organization that historically rewires its circadian rhythms for a deep sleep on Day 1 of free agency, entered the fray. Legal tampering, this year, was not treated as a rare fungal disease bound to leave welts all over the body.

First, the Packers signed running back Josh Jacobs to a four-year, $48 million contract.

Next, safety Xavier McKinney inked a four-year, $68 million contract.

When we asked GM Brian Gutekunst at the NFL Combine how viewing this team as a Super Bowl contender would guide his decision-making, he balked. “Not a lot,” he said, adding that he didn’t want to put expectations on the team. Actions always speak loudest. These moves suggest the Packers absolutely do view 2024 as an opportunity to win it all. Which is precisely how they should conduct business after coming within one or two plays of an NFC Championship appearance.

Of course, in the same four-hour period, the Packers also released two players with such gravitas they felt compelled to release a statement with quotes from both the GM and head coach. One goodbye was expected. Left tackle David Bakhtiari had a social-media post and video ready to roll. Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” played to clips of the left tackle burying defenders, acting in Pitch Perfect 2 and engaging in a beer-chugging contest with his good buddy, Aaron Rodgers.

Meanwhile, the other player let go didn’t have time to hire a video editor.

The outright release of Aaron Jones — distinguished human and running back — took a weed-whacker to the emotional heartstrings of fans.

Turns out, Green Bay is a perfectly fine destination for high-end free agents. Players around the NFL have been raving about Jordan Love on the public airwaves since the season ended. The opportunity to play for one of the league’s best young quarterbacks is a major selling point.

Jacobs was arguably the best running back on the market. He actively chose Green Bay.

McKinney was arguably the best safety on the market. He chose Green Bay.

It’s not a shock. If you’ve got a rising star at the most important position in sports, players stop worrying about bitter wind chill and lake-effect storms. The Buffalo Bills lured a slew of free agents as Josh Allen ascended to stardom.

Ex-Packers loved the fact that Rodgers blasted the Packers for low-balling veterans at the end of their career. Granted, Ted Thompson and Gutekunst haven’t been perfect. But even judging Rodgers’ point off the names he used himself during that presser — Charles Woodson, Jordy Nelson, Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, Randall Cobb, James Jones, John Kuhn, Brett Goode, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde — their batting average is solid. It’s smart for any general manager to say goodbye a year too early, rather than a year too late. That’s how countless teams descend into salary-cap hell and wind up having to push millions of dollars into the future. Who knew the former four-time MVP was such an advocate of pork-barrel spending?

Nor has Rodgers, Assistant GM, worked out for the New York Jets.

Which brings us to Jones.

Showing “Showtyme” the door when talks broke down doesn’t seem to make much sense based off his torrid finish to the 2023 season. He battled a hamstring injury and a sprained MCL, got healthy at the perfect time and exploded for five straight 100-yard games. Nobody in the history of the franchise — not Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Jim Brockington or Ahman Green — ever achieved this feat. In three of those games, Jones eclipsed six yards per carry.

He did not resemble a back in decline, at all.

He was the team’s most dynamic weapon.

He’s also a 29-year-old running back who missed six games last season. Exactly three years and two months older than Jacobs.

This is a cold business. One year after slashing his salary by $5 million, the Packers asked Jones to take a 50 percent pay cut, per The Athletic. Considering he has done everything right on and off the field, maybe Gutekunst should’ve made an exception, crossed his fingers and said a few prayers to the Packers gods for good health in 2024. A GM harboring realistic title hopes cannot take this chance. Jacobs struggled behind a hideous Las Vegas Raiders offensive line in 2023, yet did lead the NFL in rushing in 2022 with 1,653 yards on 340 carries with 12 touchdowns.

He’s a reliable receiver, too. Key in Matt LaFleur’s offense, which was finally unveiled in full last season.

This contract isn’t quite what it seems, either. As Pro Football Talk notes, Jacobs’ deal is essentially a one-year pact worth $13.7 million with three one-year options, again befitting of a team eyeing a championship in the present. As long as Jacobs resembles a top-tier back in his prime, Gutekunst can let the contract play out.

Fully expect the Packers to add a back in the draft, too.

For the first time in any of our lives, the Packers are following a Detroit Lions blueprint. Twelve months ago, the Lions endured a similar emotional roller-coaster to reshape their backfield. They let the beloved Jamaal Williams walk, signed David Montgomery and took plenty of shrapnel from fans who loved watching Williams dance in the end zone. To many, this swap didn’t make sense. Williams was fresh off a 1,066-yard, 17-touchdown season. GM Brad Holmes and head coach Dan Campbell were proven prophetic. Whereas Williams’ yards per carry tanked to 2.9 in New Orleans, Montgomery flourished. Two years younger, the power back smashed defenses for 1,015 yards on 219 attempts (4.6 avg.) with 13 touchdowns. He was complemented by explosive rookie Jahmyr Gibbs (182-945-10).

The running game was a strength for the Lions in 2022 — Williams and D’Andre Swift were a good 1-2 punch. In 2023, the Lions dared themselves to be great via Montgomery and Gibbs and came within a fourth-down conversion of the Super Bowl.

Green Bay likely knows short-term pain comes with a major potential payoff.

If any lessons were learned from the Rodgers breakup, it’s that a hard goodbye is often for the best.

Safety was this team’s No. 1 need. And in theory, McKinney is exactly what the Packers have been missing on the back end. The 24-year-old has missed only 7.8 percent of his tackle attempts over his career, per PFF, which ranks 11th among 89 safeties with at least 100 tackles over the last four seasons. He makes plays on the ball, too. In his two full seasons, 2021 and 2023, McKinney totaled eight interceptions and 21 passes defensed. Give Rodgers this much. Dull safety play marred his prime Packers years. Thompson was wrong to believe in the likes of M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian on the back-end. Morgan Burnett was rock solid but rarely a playmaker. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was a pull of the slot machine many games.

If McKinney gets to an NFC title game, maybe he can atone for Clinton-Dix misjudging Russell Wilson’s wounded duck of a 2-point prayer and Burnett’s fateful slide in that 2014 Seattle nightmare.

The decisions this day move the Packers closer toward reaching that game again.

One rivalry has more bite this season, too.

Jones, seeking revenge, will sign a one-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings.

Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
a month ago
Saw the Packers offered & 4m base with $2m incentives. That feels like an offer just to say we made an offer. Give the guy big incentive cash. The $4m base is fine. But climb that incentive to $10m based on games played and total yards or something.

My feeling? Shit offer.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (37m) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (37m) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (3h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (3h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (3h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (3h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (4h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (14h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (16h) : damn those vikings
beast (16h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (16h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (16h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (16h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (23h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.