Zero2Cool
a month ago
There sure seems to be a lot of Safeties being made available this offseason. This should mean Packers can get a veteran to help the (assuming) rookie Safety(s) right?

What Safeties are available? Which one would you like for Packers?
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
a month ago
Xavier Mckinney from the Giants would be my choice.
beast
a month ago

What Safeties are available? Which one would you like for Packers?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It all depends on pricing which I can't speak on, but there is Savage. Which I still think his best spot MIGHT be the nickel position, but they haven't had the depth at deep Safety to allow him to play there.

Broncos are supposedly releasing Justin Simmons which I believe could be a good SS. For SS, Micah Hyde would just make for an interesting story.

But really, we should start with what is the scheme? Because the coverage scheme makes a difference in what type of Safety you should be interested in.

Media is saying more cover 1 because that's what he did in college, but Hafley has made a point that college and NFL are different, and sounded as if cover 1 was for running QB which college is being overloaded with, which is not the same case in the NFL. And talked about how cover 2 was becoming bigger.

When Hafley was last in the NFL, he ran a ton of Cover 3, as the 49erd basically took the Seahawks Cover 3 system. Which would suggest you need a clear FS and clear SS.

But Gute has made the statement that ideally the nickel and two Safeties are interchangeable. Which to me would suggest cover 2.

So tell me the primary system first before I can whom would be the best fit.
UserPostedImage
a month ago
I was surprised they did not try to resign/restructure Savage when they could have monkeyed with void years.

I think he is versatile, and with an improvement in tackling might still be part of the answer.

As Beast rightly points out, price is key and knowing what the scheme is likely to be helps to define the best targets. I think Savage is quite versatile.
Go Packers!!!!
buckeyepackfan
a month ago
Unless Gute does a 2019 and goes all in with FA, which I don't see happening, I think he let's other teams spend "stupid money" on all the 1st and 2nd tier Safety FA's , then see who is left.
I agree that Savage is a real possibility now that The S market is being flooded.
Micah Hyde would be a nice addition.
He is talking retirement, Packers could talk him in to one more year at a price that won't break the bank.

Covid really screwed up a lot of teams, but especially The Packers.

Gute went all in in 2019, then watched as the Salary Cap went pretty much dormant.

I just think 2024 is a wait and see year in Free Agency for The Packers.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
buckeyepackfan
a month ago
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Dbl. Post. Nevermind
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Mucky Tundra
a month ago
Someone who's not afraid to tackle for starters.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
a month ago
Zack Kruse wrote

For Packers, free agent class looks rich at safety position

March 6, 2024 8:18 am CT
Although Antoine Winfield (non-exclusive) and Kyle Dugger (transition) were both given tags before Tuesday’s deadline, the NFL’s free agent safety class still looks strong as the start of the new league approaches.

The Green Bay Packers, with 2023 starters Darnell Savage, Rudy Ford and Jonathan Owens all set to be free agents, might need a safety (or two) more than any team in the NFL.

Expect general manager Brian Gutekunst to go shopping at safety next week. There are a few big fish targets, a handful of capable starters, several others who played starting snaps in 2023 and plenty of experienced veterans. The Packers probably need to add at least one player they think can start right away for new defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley in 2024.

Here’s the list of top free agent safeties, sorted by current PFF ranking:

Kamren Curl, Commanders
Xavier McKinney, Giants
Geno Stone, Ravens
Julian Blackmon, Colts
Jordan Fuller, Rams
Jordan Whitehead, Jets
C.J. Gardner-Johnson, Lions
DeShon Elliott, Dolphins
Tashaun Gipson, 49ers
Alohi Gilman, Chargers
Mike Edwards, Chiefs
Jeremy Chinn, Panthers
Micah Hyde, Bills
Jayron Kearse, Cowboys
Brandon Jones, Dolphins
Taylor Rapp, Bills
Kevin Byard, Eagles (released)
Eddie Jackson, Bears (released)
John Johnson III, Rams
Jamal Adams, Seahawks (released)
Quandre Diggs, Seahawks (released)

Gutekunst and his staff will have options. McKinney — a potentially perfect post safety for Hafley — might be the top prize. But Curl has Adrian Amos-like qualities, Stone intercepted seven passes in 2023, Fuller has ties to Hafley from Ohio State, Gipson was once coached by Hafley, Gilman looks like an ascending player and Blackmon and Whitehead are both solid and probably underrated players.

Who should the Packers pick in free agency to start rebuilding the safety position?

Go Packers!!!!
beast
a month ago

I was surprised they did not try to resign/restructure Savage when they could have monkeyed with void years.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

A number of websites made a big deal about that for a number of different teams, but they're simply not paying attention to how things work.

I mean, yes, teams could continue to save a bit by back loading more cap... but that deadline is before the NFL combine, which is where Agents (unofficially and against the rules, but all teams do it) talk to all the teams in seeing whom is into and at what price points.

So most players/agents wouldn't be willing to sign at that earlier deadline unless the offer is so high that it shocks them in a positive way, and maybe not then, as they want to see if someone else beats it.

Players aren't normally going to sign until they see where the market it, which usually starts happening at the combine.

UserPostedImage
a month ago
FWIW from Nick Volakaitis....NOTE, THIS IS WHAT I THOUGHT TO BE MORE COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS OF MY PREVIOUS POST

Deep Pool Of Free Agent Safeties Have the Packers Doing the Safety Dance – Here are the Choices
March 8, 2024 • Nick Volkaitis

Free Agent Safeties
Free agent safeties are popping up all over the league. Multiple teams are releasing veterans and foregoing franchise tags. With the draft upcoming, the Packers are in a great position to shore up a glaring defensive gap ahead of OTAs.

Current State of the Packers Safety Room
As of today this is how the safety room looks for the Packers.

Anthony Johnson Jr.
Benny Sapp III
Zayne Anderson
Tyler Coyle

Hits a little different when you see it spelled out doesn’t it? Here’s how the free agent safeties list breaks down for the Packers.

Darnell Savage
Jonathan Owens
Rudy Ford

I would love to see the Packers get Jonathan Owens back in the building. I also think Rudy Ford would also be worth adding back for depth.

It may be unpopular with some folks, but I have no issues with Savage leaving. I haven’t been a big fan of his play for a while now. I think he will end up on another roster as we approach training camp.

Free Agent Safeties Available
“The Safety Bunch” as pictured above, has a plethora of Pro-Bowl vets who could easily walk in as a starter day 1. It’s honestly staggering how many teams are shedding this position from their roster ahead of the draft.

Trading for Budda Baker is still on my mind, but more than likely Gutey will snatch up a free agent and/or go hunting in the draft. In this article I do my best to give a quick 10,000 foot view of the folks currently up for grabs.

These are not in any particular order. I’ll leave the evaluations to you and the Packers top brass to ponder.

The Safety Bunch

Alohi Gilman
5’10”, 201 lbs
Drafted 2020 Rd. 6 186 (LAC)
In his first season as a starter, Chargers S Alohi Gilman posted a career high in tackles, pass breakups, and interceptions. He was one of the Chargers’ most-productive and consistent players. Per PFF, Gilman also finished with a season run defense grade of 75.2, nearly 20 points higher than the previous season. PFF also placed him on the 2023 All-Breakout Team. Perhaps he can help the Packers breakout of their safety woes.
Bolts From the Blue: “Alohi Gilman turns in stellar season, makes PFF’s 2023 All-Breakout Team”

Eddie Jackson
6’0″, 206 lbs
Drafted 2017: Rd 4 (CHI)
Green Bay is listed as a top landing spot for the All-Pro Safety per an article from the Last Word On Sports.
Jackson is turning 30 years old this season. In 2023 he was limited to only 3 games with his last full season being back in 2020. He had a lot of production in 2022, however his PFF rating dropped this last year to 58.6, allowing 3 touchdowns and a passer rating of 120.6 in coverage. It’s possible that some green and gold and the incentive of being on the winning side of the rivalry with his former team may be enough to right the ship.

Geno Stone
5′ 11″, 207 lbs
Drafted 2020: Rd 7 (BAL)
‘I just want to be somewhere I’m appreciated’ (Kevin Patra Around the NFL)
Geno spent his rookie campaign for the Ravens on the practice squad. He was elevated for 2 games, but after some time on the Covid reserve list, he was waived that December.
Geno then headed to the Texans but never got the chance to hit the field. Coming back to Baltimore in 2021, he was mostly utilized on reserve and special teams. Over the last 2 seasons his role has greatly increased starting 11 games at safety in 2023. Perhaps after a few years of being down and out, Green Bay is where he will get his flowers. Gutey seems to have an affinity for players that didn’t get their shot and have a chip on their shoulder.

Jamal Adams
6′ 1″, 213 lbs
Drafted 2017: Rd 1 (NYJ)
While Jamal Adams made a name for himself in New York, his time in Seattle was mostly spent plauged by injuries. He was released as a cap hit decision from Seattle, carrying a $20 million dead cap hit. The Seahawks also acquired Julian Love who looks to be an immediate replacement. Adams only saw 9 starts in 2023, and his solo interception broke a 6-year run with at least 3 annually. He may be a cheap vet option to put in the Packers safety room.

Quandre Diggs
5′ 9″, 197 lbs
Drafted 2015: Rd 6 (DET)
Diggs is another Pro Bowl Seahawk set to fly into the open market. The 31 year old got his start with the Detroit Lions before being traded to Seattle in 2019. Unlike Adams, Diggs has been consistent and played all available games in 2023. He’s also a fan favorite in the Pacific Northwest. It may be a long shot though as the Packers seem to be going young. Quandre would be another solid veteran to bring aboard should they continue their youth movement and look for talent to develop in the draft.

Jordan Fuller
6′ 2″, 203 lbs
Drafted 2020: Rd 6 (LAR)
Jordan Fuller brought valuable leadership, experience and playmaking to Rams secondary in 2023 (Stu Jackson – therams.com).
Fuller only saw the field for 3 games in 2022 due to injury. He came back last year and started all 17 regular season games for the Rams setting a career high with 3 interceptions. His 94 tackles ranked second on overall for LA. Fuller was named captain for a 2nd time and may be able to bring some needed leadership to Jeff Hafley’s safety room.

Jordan Poyer
6′ 0″, 191 lbs
Drafted 2013: Rd 7 (PHI)
Poyer joined the Bills in 2017 alongside former Packer Micah Hyde. I’m still scratching my head on the Micah Hyde release, who by the way is also a pending free agent from Buffalo.
Given Hyde and Poyer’s production, it’s pretty clear the Bills are looking to trim the cap and start fresh. The duo have been widely regarded as one of the best tandem safety threats in the league. Perhaps it’s time to bring Micah home alongside Poyer for a run at a ring. Jordan is 32 years old and still performing at a high level. Just have to wager whether the juice is worth the squeeze as I’m sure someone will offer top dollar for the talent.

Jordan Whitehead
5′ 10″, 198 lbs
Drafted 2018: Rd 4, (TB)
Jordan Whitehead is still playing at a very elite level. He will only be 27 years old this season, and would be a great addition to an empty Packers safety room to build around. As you can see his numbers have not only been consistent, they have also trended upward since his start in 2018. Whitehead was also a part of the 2020 Bucs Super Bowl win, which may lend to him brining a championship mindset and experience to a young Packers squad. There’s a lot of talk that Jordan may be headed back to Tampa, but, maybe he can be swayed to give a different Bay a chance.

Julian Blackmon
6′ 0″, 202 lbs
Drafted 2020: Rd 3, (IND)
Blackmon started 15 out of 17 games last season. He had 4 interceptions and played snaps at slot as well as safety. With Green Bay moving towards press coverage, having someone this versatile could be a great addition. Julian stacked 5 tackles for a loss and broke up 8 passes which may offer Hafley some flexibility in the secondary. At 26 years old he brings youth AND veteran experience to the table.

Kamren Curl
6′ 2″, 198 lbs
Drafted 2020: Rd 7, (WSH)
Appreciation is the name of the station for a lot of free agent safeties’ train pulling away from home base this year. Kam Curl is definitely someone to watch while heading down the tracks.
“Curl can line up anywhere and is as consistent as safeties come on a down-to-down basis, possessing good instincts and a clear understanding of how to manipulate leverage and angles in the open field,” PFF.
The Commanders are cap rich with $73.6 million to burn according to Overthecap.com. If they aren’t able to lock in a deal with Curl, he could end up in Green Bay. Especially if he doesn’t want to wait 4 years to see a post season again.

Kevin Byard
5′ 11″, 212 lbs
Drafted 2016: Rd 3 (TEN)
After only 11 games with Philly, Kevin is set to fly into free agency. He came to the Eagles after spending 8 seasons with the Titans. He had 75 tackles and an interception in the regular season campaign last year which is certainly not too shabby indeed.
In the end, his release frees up $14.4 million in cap space for new DC Vic Fangio and company to work with. Byard is yet another multiple All-Pro and Pro Bowl Safety on the market. He was also named captain 5 times while in Tennessee and received a Walton Payton Man of the Year nomination. Given his level of play, and how respected he is in the locker room, he may be just the man to “Carry the G”.

Xavier McKinney
6′ 0″, 201 lbs
Drafted 2020: Rd 2, (NYG)
I know a lot of you reading this article were likely starting to wonder where this name was. He’s been the darling of the media reports recently regarding a move to Green Bay. So in that respect I won’t brow beat you with the same talking points here.
It’s VERY easy to see why he would be a great fit for Green Bay. This seems to be the year to load up on RB and S, which is just incredible for the Packers. The free market is speaking volumes this year. Maybe we can get Saquon on a friendly deal to come on over to the superior cold city to the west with him too….
I personally didn’t expect them to not tag a young and talented player like Xavier, but the sticking point may again be the price tag.

Safeties Safeties Everywhere But Not A Drop Of Hints
The only thing clear as of now is that this market is FLOODED with top tier running backs and safeties. It seems the Football Gods may indeed be shining a light on the frozen tundra. With it, an early spring, and a veritable cornucopia of talent to drawn upon.

I will be waiting with bated breath for next week’s acquisitions and trades. I have not completely extinguished my hopes of Budda Baker coming to Lambeau. I am, however, overjoyed at the prospects laying in wait. Will this be the year that we make a splash in free agency? We will have to wait and see how things play out while Gutey rubs that icy crystal ball at 1265 Lombardi.

Go Packers!!!!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (13h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (17h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (18h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (20h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (20h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (21h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.