Zero2Cool
2 months ago

UserPostedImage
GREEN BAY, Wis. – The last time the Green Bay Packers made a seismic change in defensive philosophy was 2009, when Dom Capers was hired as defensive coordinator and installed a 3-4 scheme.

For 15 years, from Capers to Mike Pettine to Joe Barry, the 3-4 was a way of life. With the firing of Barry and the hiring of Jeff Hafley, the Packers are flipping back to the 4-3.

Why? Coach Matt LaFleur said he wasn’t necessarily looking to make a schematic change when he made the coordinator change.

“I wanted to get who I thought was the best for us,” LaFleur said on Thursday, when Hafley was introduced as defensive coordinator. “I equate putting a coaching staff together to putting a puzzle together. And how does each piece fit? And that’s an important part of it, the fit, and he just happens to run more of a 4-3. But I felt comfortable with what we had. Because the last thing you want to do is just scrap everything that you’ve got going for you, especially when you’ve got some pretty good players that have performed at a high level and guys under contract.”

To be sure, the change is noteworthy and overblown all at once. Going to a 4-3 base defense will require another starting linebacker. And switching coverage philosophies from Barry’s preferred Cover-2 to Hafley’s Cover-1 and Cover-3 schemes will demand a new type of safety.

Those are important changes.

At the same time, as general manager Brian Gutekunst said earlier this month, “this league’s a 4-2-5 league.” That 4-2-5 is the universal nickel package run by every team in the NFL. That’s four men up front, two linebackers and five defensive backs. Green Bay operated out of that look about two-thirds of the time in 2023. The 11 men on the field for the season-ending loss at San Francisco with Barry as coordinator might be the same 11 men on the field for a hypothetical rematch with Hafley as coordinator if played today.

Still, about 30 percent of the time, the Packers will line up in a 4-3. Depending on the future of high-priced veteran De’Vondre Campbell, the Packers might enter the 2023 NFL Draft looking for a third linebacker to join Quay Walker and Isaiah McDuffie. Even if Campbell returns, the Packers will have to bolster their depth chart.

Will the rangy, athletic Walker be the man in the middle? About a week-and-half into the job, Hafley wasn’t ready to say.

Continue Reading @ Sports Illustrated 

Sports Illustrated wrote:

Whole article is good for some insight on the new DC. What are you WAY TOO EARLY thoughts about it?
UserPostedImage
2 months ago
I posted in the draft picks thread, but my questions would have just as easily been posted here. We seem to be relatively strong at IDL and weak a LB particularly MLB
Go Packers!!!!
beast
2 months ago

Whole article is good for some insight on the new DC. What are you WAY TOO EARLY thoughts about it?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

My WAY TOO EARLY thoughts are the media is making a bigger deal of this than it actually is.

4-2 scheme is run between 65% and 85% of the time and I'm used to it being more closer to 80%, but I think the Packers might of run more 3 DL in an attempt to stop the run.

Vic Fangio scheme which Joe Barry was running is about mixing and matching, so the Fangio scheme don't run any one type of coverage 50% of the time... often it's Cover 2 40% of the time and Cover 3 40% of the time, with two other preferred coverages run slightly less than 10% of the time.

Hafley is going to run a ton of Cover 1 and 3? Well we already run a ton of Cover 3... and we'll just have to wait and see if he does indeed run a lot of Cover 1, but he has talked about in interviews that starting with a Cover 1 look, and then dropping the SS to then play Cover 2. So he does run more Cover 2 than the article admits to.

As for the most guys in the box, he has talked about that's because of Colleges using their QBs as runners, which the NFL simply doesn't do, and can't do, because if the QB gets injured they don't have quality replacements on the NFL level quality. So I'm not sure that will roll over to the NFL.

And as for the different type of Safety use, in 2023 the Packers went with a different type of Safety use, instead of the twin cover 2 Safeties, they went with Savage in a SS role, flying to the ball a lot more, and the other Safety being a more clear FS role.

So most of these "changes" were already things both sides were already doing, or the difference between College vs Pro Ball

They will have to get deeper at LB, but usually they kept 5 ILBers, and usually the 4-3 keeps 6 LBs, so not s huge difference. And Packers had tweener LB Aaron Mosby on the PS whom was sorta a cross between a 3-4 OLB and 3-4 ILB, so he might be a great fit for the physical 4-3 OLB role.

I think the big difference will be in play calling, communications and leadership which where said to be Barry weak points more than the general scheme.

Where it felt like he was behind in making adjustments, DB communication was said to be an issue and why the defense got a lot better once Savage got back out there. And the DBs especially, and especially Alexander seemed to want Barry gone.

UserPostedImage
beast
2 months ago

I posted in the draft picks thread, but my questions would have just as easily been posted here. We seem to be relatively strong at IDL and weak a LB particularly MLB

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

The DTs are relatively strong at pass rush, but also seemingly relatively weak at run stopping. We could seriously use another run stopper.

Campbell would be the MLB, McDuffie would probably be backup.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.