Martha Careful
2 months ago

Packers face important deadline on several free agents this week
By Freddie Boston | 9:00 AM CST

While the Green Bay Packers don't need to make any final decisions on their upcoming free agents yet, their actions in the coming days could reveal the futures of Keisean Nixon, Darnell Savage, and Yosh Nijman.

According to Packers cap expert Ken Ingalls, Nixon, Savage, and Nijman have void provisions that will trigger on February 19.

In other words, if the Packers don't work out long-term extensions with them before then, their contracts will void, and the remaining money on their deals will hit Green Bay's salary cap in 2024, regardless of where they sign.

Green Bay can avoid this by signing them to new contracts before the deadline. That would allow them to continue spreading out money across the length of the contract rather than it accelerating into this year's cap.

What happens if the Packers don't sign them before February 19 deadline?
The first question you might ask is why? If their contracts are up, why would the Packers pay anything?

Due to Green Bay's recent salary cap challenges, the team added void years to their contracts. That allowed them to create cap space in the short term but pushed money into future years. If they leave in free agency, all of that money will hit the Packers' salary cap immediately.

How much will the Packers pay? According to Over The Cap, here are the dead cap numbers for each player if a new deal isn't agreed by February 19:

Darnell Savage: $5.46 million
Yosh Nijman: $2.54 million
Keisean Nixon: $1.48 million
Total: $9.48 million

It all adds up. If the Packers don't work out long-term deals with these players before the deadline, they will pay $9.48 million on the 2024 salary cap, even if they sign elsewhere.

Can the Packers sign them after the deadline?
Yes. The Packers can re-sign Nixon, Savage, and Nijman after February 19, and they can't sign with other teams until the new league year in March. But it wouldn't make much sense for Green Bay to do it after the deadline.

It wouldn't change the numbers above. Green Bay would still have to pay those dead cap hits, but the new contracts would be added on top.

The Packers' decision before February 19 will likely give us a good indication of if they will be back. Last year, Adrian Amos, Dean Lowry, Jarran Reed, Randall Cobb, Marcedes Lewis, Mason Crosby, and Robert Tonyan all had contracts void in February. The Packers didn't re-sign any of them.

Per the fan shout discussion

My gut tells me that will try to do something with Savage and Nixon
Go Packers!!!!
buckeyepackfan
2 months ago
This is all part of cleaning up the mess The Packers got themselves into by trying to keep the team together for one more year in 2020, then again in 2021 and 2022, thinking they had a real chance at making it to another Super Bowl.

Just Didn't happen. Now they have to pay up.

The Packers eliminated a lot of the dead cap money last year, but there is just as much this year, it's just spread out over more players. The big hit this year will be Bach at 19 mil.

Some always got on Ted Thompson for not spending big in Free Agency.
The Packers were rarely , if ever, in cap hell when Ted was making the decisions.

Tough decisions to be made in the next few weeks, but it will give us fans an idea of the direction Gute is going in.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
dhazer
2 months ago
I see Jones getting maybe 2 year extension to help with his cap hit, I also see Clark and Jaire get extension or restructure. Bahk I hate to say is gone but I would love to offer him to the Jets for a 2nd or 3rd and hope they take it. Just offer him up to anyone instead of just flat releasing him as you know he will recover by miracle and show up in NY with Rodgers, maybe the Jets would help with his cap hit if we just sent him for cash considerations lol (if thats still a thing like baseball and basketball). I think we resign Owens and Savage at safety ( I want Owens because he brings Simone and it's a nice little story and he won't cost a ton) But Everyone saying we need all this defense help has me stunned when we can bring back some guys for cheap and continue with this top 10 defense, maybe the play caller calls something different so we aren't giving up chunk plays at the end of the game.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 months ago
I think Packers dead cap is same if they trade or release Bakhtiari. However the June 1st thing might alter that. I don't think Feb 19th impacts him at all.

I'm guessing Nixon will return for 2024 regardless of what happens Feb 19th.

Savage I'd say depends on what the DC thinks he can do with him.

All in all. I don't think Feb 19th tells us anything at all regarding who won't be on 2024 roster. It feels like nothing more than accounting.
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
2 months ago

I think Packers dead cap is same if they trade or release Bakhtiari. However the June 1st thing might alter that. I don't think Feb 19th impacts him at all.

I'm guessing Nixon will return for 2024 regardless of what happens Feb 19th.

Savage I'd say depends on what the DC thinks he can do with him.

All in all. I don't think Feb 19th tells us anything at all regarding who won't be on 2024 roster. It feels like nothing more than accounting.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I largely agree, esp with Bakhtiari.

However, if they are going to keep Savage, I think we will know tomorrow. And if we want a safety who can cover and make plays, he fills the bill. Yes he needs to tackle better, but IMO he is more attuned to the 1 high schemes we will be deploying more often than we have.

Go Packers!!!!
buckeyepackfan
2 months ago
Well , the deadline has passed, The Packers took the hit and now it's just wait and see if Gute wants to resign any of these guys.
I didn't realize he has done this before.

Robert Tonyan a few years ago and also Devandre Campbell.

Bach is a completely different story.

Hopefully he and The medical staff have finally figured out the problem with the fluid building up in his knee.

Showing he is finally beyond that would make it much easier to trade him. Or extend him and keep him.

To be citinued...........
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19m) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (33m) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (11h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (12h) : damn those vikings
beast (13h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (13h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (13h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (13h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (20h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (20h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (20h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.