wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 months ago

Let’s compare how the consensus draft board, Field Yates and Mel Kiper Jr.’s rankings differ as we begin draft season.

Last month, as part of ESPN’s First Draft series, Mel Kiper Jr. dropped his 2024 draft board alongside Field Yates. On Friday, Yates got his opportunity to discuss his own top-25 rankings with Kiper on the show.

For the most part, Yates’ rankings were fairly chalk when compared to the consensus draft board . Dive into Yates’ rankings below, before we discuss where he diverged from public opinion:

Field Yates’ Draft Rankings
Caleb Williams, QB, USC
Marvin Harrison Jr., WR Ohio St
Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina
Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State
Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame
Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama
Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA
Keon Coleman, WR, FSU
Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State
J.C. Latham, OT, Alabama
Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama
Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington
Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa
Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State
Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas
Brian Thomas Jr., WR, LSU
Bralen Trice, EDGE, Washington

Three players that Yates seems to be higher on than the consensus draft board are tackle Troy Fauatanu of Washington, receiver Adonai Mitchell of Texas and tackle Tyler Guyton of Oklahoma. Yates had Fauatanu ranked nine spots ahead of the consensus draft board, Mitchell ranked ahead by 12 spots and Guyton by a whopping 20.

For reference, neither Mitchell or Guyton were ranked in Kiper’s top 25 last month. Fauatanu, though, was Kiper’s second-ranked tackle at 14th overall — even higher than Yates had him ranked. With that being said, Guyton wasn’t one of the seven tackles that Kiper discussed in December.

For Packer fans, a deep tackle class will only serve them well. Green Bay has two question marks on the offensive line moving into 2024: left tackle and right guard. It’s uncertain what left tackle David Bakhtiari’s status will be next year, as he’s been unable to stay on the field since his extension. Rasheed Walker has been playing his best football lately, but the prospect of a first-round pick might entice the team to add some competition to the position.

At right guard, Jon Runyan Jr. is the 2023 starter, but he is set to be an unrestricted free agent in 2024. If the team isn’t sold on Sean Rhyan, who is rotating in at the position, on being the long-term starter, don’t be surprised if the team ends up converting one of these tackles to play guard so that a young player can see the field immediately.

As far as the players that Yates is lower on than the consensus, cornerback Kool-Aid McKinstry of Alabama is ranked 12th on the consensus draft board but just 21st on Yates’ board. Illinois interior defensive lineman Jer’Zhan Newton, who is 11th on the consensus draft board, didn’t make the cut for Yates’ top 25 at all. For what it’s worth, McKinstry was also Kiper’s 21st-ranked player, but Newton made his top 25 as the 18th player in the class last month.

Along with Newton, two other players who are ranked in the consensus draft board’s top 25 but weren’t featured by Yates are tackle Taliese Fuaga of Oregon State  (21st) and quarterback Michael Penix Jr. of Washington (23rd). Fuaga was actually Kiper’s fourth-ranked tackle in December, earning nods over Amarius Mims, J.C. Latham, Jordan Morgan and Tyler Guyton. Penix was also left off of his big board.

Yates was higher on a few players that Kiper was lower on, though. Pass-rushers Chop Robinson of Penn State and Bralen Trice of Washington were both unranked by Kiper, but they were ranked 22nd and 25th by Yates, respectively.

If you want to check out the full 65-minute discussion between Yates and Kiper on the top 2024 draft picks, the video is linked down below:

Continue Reading @ Justis Mosqueda 

Justis Mosqueda wrote:

It looks like DeJean is right there at 19 along with a few OT. Of course it won't matter when GB wins on Sunday.
UserPostedImage
3 months ago
Interesting decisions for the Bears....
1. Keep Fields?
2. If not, which QB. IMO Dix is better than any of those listed
3. Harrison is a generational pick...if I were them, I would draft him #1 regardless. If not, Odunze is terrific.

For us, the OT position seems to be deep....good for us.
Also, I think CB is our top priority

Go Packers!!!!
beast
3 months ago

It looks like DeJean is right there at 19 along with a few OT. Of course it won't matter when GB wins on Sunday.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

DeJean makes me nervous, because yes a lot of people want him, but they want him to move to a position that he's never played before, to Safety.

Also Packers last CB from Iowa CB Jackson didn't do so well, and Van Ness from Iowa and switched position hasn't lite it up yet (though in fairness, he's wasn't expected to as he's young and growing into the NFL and OLB role).

Also, the season ending injury which I believe he had, correct?

Though DeJean does a great job off man which zone teams will surely love, but I'd also looking at those Alabama CBs.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
3 months ago

1. Keep Fields?
3. Harrison is a generational pick...if I were them, I would draft him #1 regardless. If not, Odunze is terrific.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Given some of the drama around Williams supposedly wanting an ownership share in whatever team drafts him, I would lean towards Harrison and trying to grab a QB with my 2nd pick at #9 or trying to trade up for someone like Daniels. Problem for the Bears is that they dont have many picks to play with this year. It might behoove the Bears to trade down from #1, get a haul and go QB+BPA with their two top 10 picks.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
3 months ago

Given some of the drama around Williams supposedly wanting an ownership share in whatever team drafts him, I would lean towards Harrison and trying to grab a QB with my 2nd pick at #9 or trying to trade up for someone like Daniels. Problem for the Bears is that they dont have many picks to play with this year. It might behoove the Bears to trade down from #1, get a haul and go QB+BPA with their two top 10 picks.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Good points....If I were them, I would:
- trade down to 4 and pick up another 1st round pick
- take Harrison or Odunze
- take some O linemen with their two remaining first round picks

Re Williams. I don't think he is all that:
- He is only 6'1"
- IMO a system quarterback. His backup threw 5 touchdowns in the bowl game
- Prima Donna
- played (exclusively) in the PAC 12, i.e. poor defense.

Go Packers!!!!
dfosterf
3 months ago

DeJean makes me nervous, because yes a lot of people want him, but they want him to move to a position that he's never played before, to Safety.

Also Packers last CB from Iowa CB Jackson didn't do so well, and Van Ness from Iowa and switched position hasn't lite it up yet (though in fairness, he's wasn't expected to as he's young and growing into the NFL and OLB role).

Though DeJean does a great job off man which zone teams will surely love, but I'd also looking at those Alabama CBs.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I see a lot of mocks showing us taking Terrion Arnold from Alabama. (Cornerback)
dhazer
3 months ago

1. Keep Fields?

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

This is my prediction and If I was a Bears fan I would be in Heaven:

Trade the #1 overall to Washington for the #2 a 1st next year and a 2nd this year
Trade the #2 to NE for their #3 and a 1st next year
at #3 you still get Harrison Jr but you now picked up 2 more #1's for next year from 2 teams that still won't be that good.
You still have the 9th pick so you turn around and either trade up with the Giants or Tennessee sending the #9 and Justin Fields for the 6th or 7th pick and grab either Maye or Daniels and now you have in my opinion a better QB than Williams(he doesn't want to be in Chicago per rumor). So you now have an extra 2nd 2 extra 1's next year the top WR and a top 3 QB. With a deep OT class, you could use the 2 2nds and move back into the 1st and grab a top tackle.

Even if you can't get both NE and Washington to trade one of them will and you should still be able to grab Harrison and a QB.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
3 months ago

This is my prediction and If I was a Bears fan I would be in Heaven:

Trade the #1 overall to Washington for the #2 a 1st next year and a 2nd this year
Trade the #2 to NE for their #3 and a 1st next year
at #3 you still get Harrison Jr but you now picked up 2 more #1's for next year from 2 teams that still won't be that good.
You still have the 9th pick so you turn around and either trade up with the Giants or Tennessee sending the #9 and Justin Fields for the 6th or 7th pick and grab either Maye or Daniels and now you have in my opinion a better QB than Williams(he doesn't want to be in Chicago per rumor). So you now have an extra 2nd 2 extra 1's next year the top WR and a top 3 QB. With a deep OT class, you could use the 2 2nds and move back into the 1st and grab a top tackle.

Even if you can't get both NE and Washington to trade one of them will and you should still be able to grab Harrison and a QB.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

I have been spending some time over at the Bears discussion board and none of them have come up with anything close to this level of utilization of picks. Hopefully Poles reads their posts and not yours.

Good analysis

Mucky Tundra
3 months ago

I have been spending some time over at the Bears discussion board and none of them have come up with anything close to this level of utilization of picks. Hopefully Poles reads their posts and not yours.

Good analysis

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

I think the Bears fans are thinking they're a QB away from being a contender because:

1. The late season "surge" the team went on
2. Early returns on some of their 2023 draft class
3. The belief that Luke Getsy was holding back Fields and their offense. With Fields+top new weapons or new QB+not quite as good new weapons and no Getsy means the offense can flourish.

Reality is that their own pick is #9 for a reason and they need as much help as they can get.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 months ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

I don't know anything about DeJean, I only know a lot of people are slobbering all over the prospect of landing him.
I don't compare past failures to future players. There is zero correlation. Just because two kids went to the same school doesn't mean they will turn out the same. They had different coaching even if the HC is the same.
Van Ness had a better first year than Gary did so I am not worried about him long term.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (47m) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (1h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (1h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (1h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (2h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.