wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 months ago
I've been wondering if the NFL will let all the players have speakers and or mics at some point. I know the reasons why they don't have them now but the reasoning seems kind of silly. Right now players can shout out protection schemes at the line, why not let them do so with a helmet mic? What is the horrible consequences for doing so? An unfair advantage? Both teams would have the capability. Leave the mics on instead of cutting them off like they do now. Who cares if a coach in the box sees something on the field? The guys on the sidelines can already shout when the play is a draw of pass or the DB is creeping up to blitz.
Ever since the days of Pete Rozelle being the commission, the NFL has been trying to bring about parity. Helmet mics and speakers would be the next step. In domed stadiums the visiting team would have a little more of a level playing field. Not so much if it is extremely loud. Maybe take it one step further and add the little screen over the eye like they have for deaf players.
In theory these changes could prevent injuries. All the players would know the call and having a lineman or RB missing a block would be lessened.
The game as a whole might look different. No more huddles. Just line up and make the calls then and there. Defenses would have to react quicker. The game clock could be shortened. More action less standing around.
Times have changed. Technology would benefit the game.
It's also possible I would hate it.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 months ago
I feel allowing each player to have a mic/speaker deflates the advantage that loud stadiums can present for home teams. Granted, I'm a shitty home field fan because I'm too busy trying to analyze the formations and what not, but there are many awesome fans who are yelling constantly. If you give them each ear pieces or mics or what not, that advantage (and quite honestly the fun for some fans) from attending games.

The cost of attending games is increasing. The cost of concessions is insane. There's seemingly more violence being REPORTED (e.g. other day Bills fan killed by Dolphins stadium) and just more and more reasons to sit at home to watch the game.
UserPostedImage
3 months ago
When I saw the topic, I thought there might be a portion of the discussion on concussions.

I don't understand why the soft attachment used in practices could not be incorporated in games. Yes, they are not pretty, but saving scrambled brains (and perhaps the sport) ought to be worth it.
Go Packers!!!!
TheKanataThrilla
3 months ago

When I saw the topic, I thought there might be a portion of the discussion on concussions.

I don't understand why the soft attachment used in practices could not be incorporated in games. Yes, they are not pretty, but saving scrambled brains (and perhaps the sport) ought to be worth it.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

A friend of mine's son was working on helmet technology (hockey) for concussions at Ottawa University. I know that Eric Lindros donated a large amount of money towards research. You likely can never totally eliminate it, but with how much money is involved in the NFL you would hope that they would all be wearing the safest helmets possible.
Zero2Cool
3 months ago

Do we have data that supports those are helping? I also kind of wonder if that extra weight on the neck would have some issues. Especially since players like to use their head as weapon.
UserPostedImage
3 months ago
I guess it depends who you believe....I found this at the NIH website.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9980188/ their net regrettably:
There was no significant difference between the collapsed mean values for the entire sample between PRE and POST for peak linear acceleration (PLA) (PRE=16.3±2.0, POST=17.2±3.3Gs; p=0.20), Peak Angular Acceleration (PAA) (PRE=992.1±209.2, POST=1029.4±261.1rad/s2; p=0.51 and the total amount of impacts (PRE=9.3±4.7, POST=9.7±5.7; p=0.72). Similarly, no difference was observed between PRE and POST for PLA (PRE=16.1±1.2, POST=17.2±2.79Gs; p=0.32), PAA (PRE=951.2±95.4, POST=1038.0±166.8rad/s2; p=0.29 and total impacts
(PRE=9.6±4.2, POST=9.7±5.04s; p=0.32) between sessions for the7 repeated players.

Conclusion
These data suggest no difference in head kinematics data (PLA, PAA and total impacts) when GCs are worn. This study suggests GCs are not effective in reducing the magnitude of head impacts experienced by NCAA Division I American football players

However, I found this on the NFL website:
https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/equipment-and-innovation/engineering-technology/guardian-cap-results-exceeded-our-expectations

The 2022 preseason was the first time that players from all 32 NFL teams wore the Guardian Cap. All offensive linemen, defensive linemen, tight ends, and linebackers were required to wear the padded shell on their helmets in practices up until the second preseason game.

Laboratory testing conducted ahead of the Guardian Cap requirement concluded reduction in severity of head impacts would be meaningful. Data from the preseason affirms that conclusion: The position groups required to wear Guardian Cap during the mandated period in the preseason saw a more than 50% reduction in concussions versus a previous three-year average (2018, 2019, 2021; the anomalous 2020 season is excluded). There was no increase in concussions among the position groups wearing Guardian Caps after the mandated period ended.

Back on the other hand...this 2023 study was like the first

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/20/21/6991 
5. Conclusions
Based on our preliminary findings, protective soft-shell padding did not reduce head linear or rotational accelerations among a subset of college football players. Additionally, gameplay characteristics fundamental to offensive linemen, defensive linemen, and tight ends did not affect peak linear and rotational acceleration between those with and without soft-shell padding. Intra and interpersonal contextual factors that contribute to RHIE and concussion occurrence in collision sports should be considered in future studies evaluating the efficacy of soft-shell padding.

My gut tells me that it can't hurl and likely helps, but the data at this point would not seem to confirm my gut.
Go Packers!!!!
wpr
  • wpr
3 months ago

My bad. I was thinking of saying something to the effect it is not concussion related.
The problem with any anti-concussion helmet tech is that it is limited. I was at a auto accident seminar. Or at least a seminar where they discussed auto accidents.

The are 3 impacts. When the vehicle hits the object. When the driver's body hits an object. It can be the steering wheel, air bag, windshield or something else. Last when the brain strikes the skull.

No matter what you do the brain is going to hit the skull if there is sufficient deceleration. A soft cap liner or "air bags" in the helmet really do not reduce the impact of the brain on the skull.

UserPostedImage
3 months ago

My bad. I was thinking of saying something to the effect it is not concussion related.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

No it was my bad for assuming that was part of it. Additionally I should not have hi-jacked the topic.

Back to the original intent of the topic. I agree with Zero that too much tech would mitigate the home field advantage.

Further, if you did have all players with listening devices, I think you would want to limit the number of coaches who could directly communicate with players. We would not want 11 coaches speaking with all 11 on the field.

Go Packers!!!!
wpr
  • wpr
3 months ago

No it was my bad for assuming that was part of it. Additionally I should not have hi-jacked the topic.

Back to the original intent of the topic. I agree with Zero that too much tech would mitigate the home field advantage.

Further, if you did have all players with listening devices, I think you would want to limit the number of coaches who could directly communicate with players. We would not want 11 coaches speaking with all 11 on the field.

I'm glad you mentioned Zero's comment. I was going to look last night but got busy and forgot.
Crowd noise is a home field advantage. My contention was IF the league is looking for more offense and pushing for even more parity the additional mics and speakers might help.

As far as how would it impact the Packers- there are 5 fixed dome stadiums. 2 in the NFL North. Plus the Bears are considering one too. 5 more retractable domes. Seattle has an unique design to hold in crowd noise.

Even if the Packer fans are 50% of the crowd at an away game, and they wouldn't be, all the domed stadiums would have more noise than Lambeau on average. Especially in the winter months. People clapping with gloves and some of them with scarves over their mouths has the potential to greatly limit the noise.

As far as stadium size, Lambeau is one of the larger stadiums. That would certainly help generate noise.

GB is going to be somewhere around 10-15 in generating noise. It's possible all three division opponents will have a dome in the near future. Taking away the crowd factor would benefit them more than it would hurt them.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
3 months ago

Crowd noise is a home field advantage...

... Even if the Packer fans are 50% of the crowd at an away game, and they wouldn't be, all the domed stadiums would have more noise than Lambeau on average. Especially in the winter months. People clapping with gloves and some of them with scarves over their mouths has the potential to greatly limit the noise.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Impact actuated glove noise generators.

Voice activated scarf speakers.

These sound like inventions that the people willingly wearing cheeseheads could come up with!

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.