beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
4 months ago
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/andy-reid-kadarius-toney-didnt-check-alignment-with-official-before-offside-flag 

After Sunday’s 20-17 loss to the Bills, Chiefs head coach Andy Reid called an offside penalty by wide receiver Kadarius Toney that wiped out a go-ahead touchdown “a bit embarrassing” for the league because officials usually issue a warning before throwing a flag in such situations,

Reid revisited the penalty during a Monday media session and repeated that his experience in the NFL has taught him that “you give the head coach a heads up,” but also said that it is no excuse for making the error. Reid said that Toney did not check with an official to make sure he was aligned correctly with the line of scrimmage and that players need to be aware of what they are doing on the field.

“Do we need to line up right? Yeah. We can’t put it in the officials’ hands,” Reid said, via Nate Taylor of TheAthletic.com.

Reid said the coaching point he will make to Toney is that he should always check with the official when lining up and that he will more generally continue to teach players in an effort to limit the mistakes that have contributed to losses in three of their last four games.

The Chiefs can complain all they want — and they clearly want. There’s no doubt that receiver Kadarius Toney lined up past the ball prior to the key play that was wiped out by the penalty he committed.

This photo is dispositive.

I get it. The Chiefs are frustrated. Things aren’t going their way this year, not like they were from 2018 through 2022. They might have to actually play a road playoff game. Suddenly, they might not even win the division.

But it’s not the fault of the officials that Toney lined up past the ball. Toney did it. Toney was looking right at the ball. He didn’t check with an official.

Look at the photo. He had a pair of hash marks to guide him. His foot was even with one of them. The ball was behind the other.

Need to click on it to see the bigger picture to see the WR in question

Yes, Toney was offside. It’s just the latest blunder for someone whose high-end talent is undeniable but who routinely squishes the low-hanging fruits of his labor.

Dropped passes. Mental errors.

It’s not on the officials. It’s on Toney. The Chiefs continue to try to will him into being a No. 1 receiver.

I also found this picture cute (Not the red in the bottom left)

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
4 months ago
Toney was lined up wrong against Packers, too. Discussed on @BillSimmons pod this week. It’s not just drops.— Peter Schrager (@PSchrags) December 11, 2023

Wondering if Mahomes and Reids comments are a case of redirecting anger towards Toney towards others?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
4 months ago
If you're the WR. Do you really need to check with the officials here? This feels so blatantly obvious, but I'm probably the minority. I expect players to be accountable for the rules. And I expect coaches to make players aware of the rules.

GBEeWQtWAAExw97.jpeg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Lol c'mon
PS. I don't think he's checking with the official. But if he can't see he's offsides... I mean...

UserPostedImage
4 months ago

If you're the WR. Do you really need to check with the officials here? This feels so blatantly obvious, but I'm probably the minority. I expect players to be accountable for the rules. And I expect coaches to make players aware of the rules.
 GBEeWQtWAAExw97.jpeg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Every Wide Out from high school forward can check with a line judge/official who will gladly direct him whether he is on the ball/off -side or off-the-ball. Even if you check and are not exactly right, you won't get called.

AND WHAT HE DID WAS NOT CHECKING WITH THE REF!!! It was "I am on the line and I will line up wherever the hell I want to."

The ONLY time you get called is if there are two guys to one side AND neither checks to see whether the are both off. If they don't check and the tackle is exposed, the offense will be called. But if they indicate they are supposed to be on the line, the ref will tell them to move up or back.

So if people piss and moan that something like this is not called, it is because they probably were not paying attention to whether or not the receivers checked with ref. When they do they get more lattitude. If they don't...OH WELL.

The KC WR was a dumbass for not checking....it is all on him, not the refs.

Go Packers!!!!
beast
  • beast
4 months ago
Video of them lining up

Though I disagree with the writer, he looked over to the sidelines before he lined up, so even if that's a check with the ref, he moved after checking. And I'm not sure he was checking with the ref or something else on the sidelines.

UserPostedImage
4 months ago
he never "checked with the ref", he was pointing BACKWARDS to his bench, not forward to the ref. Plus he was never set when "checking with the ref"
beast
  • beast
4 months ago
I can't believe how stuck with blaming the ref this guy is... why does a ref have to warn the receivers, when he doesn't warn the OL or defense?

Some authority figure really should sit him, and maybe the Chiefs team down, and explain the refs don't have to do anything except call the rules (or call what the NFL wants even if it's not the rules).

There is no warning in the job description, that's just bonus if you get them.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kadarius-toney-refs-job-is-to-warn-me-they-took-away-one-of-the-greatest-plays-ever

Kadarius Toney: Refs’ job is to warn me, they took away one of the greatest plays ever

Chiefs wide receiver Kadarius Toney is pointing fingers at the officials, and not at himself, over the offside penalty that negated a touchdown late in Sunday’s loss to the Bills.

Toney claimed that it’s the referee’s job to tell a player if he is lined up illegally. That’s not a requirement of the officials’ job, although officials do sometimes give warnings to players and coaches.

“Whether it was, an inch, two inches, whatever in front of the ball, the referee got a job to let me know,” Toney told reporters in the Chiefs’ locker room. “He didn’t make no effort. You watch the video, he didn’t make no effort to say anything about no alignment. So apparently, he wanted to do that regardless. But like I said, we’re just going back to the details and just make sure we fine print everything.”

Toney also said the NFL falsely claimed that a referee warned him about being offside. But referee Carl Cheffers’ only comment came to a pool reporter immediately following the game, and Cheffers stood by the call and said the officials are under no obligation to warn players that they’re offside.

“Then they came back and lied and said they gave me a warning, which I never talked to a ref,” Toney said.

Toney said he considers the offside call “[p]retty much bogus, and that it took away what should have been one of the highlights of Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce’s career. Kelce caught a pass from Patrick Mahomes and then spontaneously lateraled the ball to Toney, who ran it in for a touchdown that the offside flag wiped out.

“Unfortunately, they took back the greatest play the greatest tight end that played the game did,” Toney said. “Just a great play taken back by the greatest tight end.”

It was a great play by a great tight end, but it was also a bad play by Toney, who is responsible for knowing whether he’s lined up legally whether the officials warn him or not.

UserPostedImage
4 months ago

I can't believe how stuck with blaming the ref this guy is... why does a ref have to warn the receivers, when he doesn't warn the OL or defense?

Some authority figure really should sit him, and maybe the Chiefs team down, and explain the refs don't have to do anything except call the rules (or call what the NFL wants even if it's not the rules).

There is no warning in the job description, that's just bonus if you get them.

Originally Posted by: beast 

This is pretty much indicative of our society today. Why should he be any different?

Got a problem? It’s somebody else’s fault. Got a crappy job? Your parents didn’t do enough for you. Or your boss is a jerk. It couldn’t possibly be that you’re incompetent and couldn’t perform another job.

Don’t like your place in society or your standing amongst a certain group? It’s because you’re a woman or a minority, or because of reverse discrimination, a white man.

No one has responsibility for anything. It’s always somebody else’s fault. Victim mentality has permeated every aspect of society.

Yet they are the first ones to take credit and not give thanks to anybody who helped along the way.

He is a dumbass for not looking over long enough at the ref who would’ve told him he was offside. It’s his fault. Not the refs.

Go Packers!!!!
dhazer
4 months ago
I love all this crying by the Chiefs and the Refs are after us but fail to mention the Refs have stopped calling the illegal formation and false starts on every passing play by their right tackle. Here is the rule "For tackles to be properly be aligned at the line of scrimmage, a part of their body must be breaking an imaginary line from the center's belt. Typically, the helmet would be the furthest bit forward for the linemen." Now look at the right tackle and he is like 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. I think it was the 1st game of the year when they called that like 5 times and also called him for his early starts he always does. But yet the Refs are after them lol.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (14h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (15h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (19h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (19h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.