Martha Careful
5 months ago
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Alabama

6 and 5 were Georgia and Florida State

Do you think they got it right? I actually do.

I feel bad for Florida State...the best defense in the country, but because of injuries at QB, a pathetic offense.

I don't know if they have it in the right order but we shall see.

Do you think they got it right,? If not, why not?
Go Packers!!!!
beast
5 months ago

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Alabama

6 and 5 were Georgia and Florida State

Do you think they got it right? I actually do.

I feel bad for Florida State...the best defense in the country, but because of injuries at QB, a pathetic offense.

I don't know if they have it in the right order but we shall see.

Do you think they got it right,? If not, why not?

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

This is more proof for why they needed a bigger playoff field, of at least 6 teams. Someone was going to get screwed here no matter what.

Michigan, Washington and Florida State are undefeated, and usually by definition 8f one of the power house school goes undefeated they should be in the playoffs.

Texas lost one game, by 4 fours to Oklahoma (whom themselves only lost two games, by 6 and 3 points). Alabama and Georgia also only lost one game.

But Texas beat Alabama by 10 points, and Alabama beat Georgia by 3 points.

Which has some saying should leave the SEC (Alabama and Georgia out of the playoffs) but that's ridiculous as SEC is by far the best conference and their best two teams probably always deserve to get in and other than Clemson, no team outside the SEC has won a Championship since 2014. So you HAVE to have an SEC team in the playoffs or it can't be considered legitimate. (And I'm an Underdog fan that somewhat hates SEC dominance, but it's true, they're the best).

But Texas beat Alabama, so can you leave them out?

You have to make a decision which 2 of these 6 teams are probably going to be unfairly left out.

And they have to argue which team are best for the Playoffs.

Florida State Star QB got injured and most likely will be unavailable for the playoffs, and I believe they started a Freshman for the ACC Championship against a weak Louisville team and yeah, I agree the ACC is probably the weakest and missing their QB, it's probably fair to put Florida State, despite being undefeated, at #6. That's probably realistic, even though they're undefeated, probably the easiest schedule.

But if we're going by best teams, I wouldn't be surprised if BOTH Georgia and Alabama are among the top 4 in the country, and honestly, I think Georgia might be the best team in the country and they'll be out of the playoffs because they lost to Alabama at the very worst time. And the SEC has a history of when two teams make the playoffs, the underdog winning the first one, and the better team coming back and beating them in the playoffs. And Bama was lucky as hell not to lose to Auburn, Auburn basically fall apart perfectly for them.

The football conference has put Ohio State in the playoffs despite Penn State beating them int eh regular seasons and winning the Big 10 Championship.

So I think they properly had Florida State at #6, but Georgia is probably one of the best 2 teams in my opinion.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 months ago
Someone is always gonna be screwed. It has been amusing on Tweeter with all the crying and whining though. From both sides too!!! 🤣
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 months ago
I have not liked FSU for a very long time. I have felt that they get the double standard nod when it comes to their Seminoles nickname. They give some cash to the Seminoles who then turn a blind eye to them while other schools had to change their nickname.

That said they are a P5 team. They were undefeated. It's one thing if a "Little Sisters Five" conference goes undefeated. They are not playing as difficult of a schedule. The ACC qualifies. If not say so right now. Pac 12 is dead and the ACC doesn't count either. Soon the Big 12 will be forced out and it will just be the Big Ten and SEC.

I was curious about the strength of schedules so I looked at the Jeff Sagarin ratings:
1 Michigan 13-0 (56)
2 Oregon 11-2 (25)
3 Ohio State 11-1 (36)
4 Texas 12-1 (4)
5 Penn State 10-2 (55)
6 Alabama 12-1 (12)
7 Georgia 12-1 (46)
8 Oklahoma 10-2 (19)
9 Washington 13-0 ( 5)
10 Florida State 13-0 (61)

Beast is correct. They have the weakest schedule for these top ten teams.
The issues this year show they need to expand the playoffs. Not to 6 but 8. Ohio State, Georgia, FSU and Oregon deserve to be in consideration.
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
5 months ago
Next year there are 12 teams in the College Playoff next year.

The expanded 12-team playoff will be made up of the six conference champions ranked highest by the committee (no minimum ranking requirement), and the six highest-ranked teams not among the conference champions. The four highest-ranked conference champions would be seeded Nos. 1 through 4 and receive first-round byes. The other eight seeds — Nos. 5 through 12 — would play in the first round.
Go Packers!!!!
beast
5 months ago

I have not liked FSU for a very long time. I have felt that they get the double standard nod when it comes to their Seminoles nickname. They give some cash to the Seminoles who then turn a blind eye to them while other schools had to change their nickname.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

But if the group that it's named after is okay with it, then what's the problem?

The problem with the others is that the groups weren't happy... and from what I've seen it's mainly been the Western Native American that have more issues with it. The Native Americans on the East Coast (the few that there are, but as your mentioned the Seminoles) have been mostly extremely chill about the team names thing. It's just that the Western Native Americans can't say much about the Seminoles name because they aren't Seminoles and the Seminoles don't seem to be (currently) bothered by it.

But it took me a long time to fully understand the Native American team name issue, because most of the East Coast Native Americans are cool with it (maybe didn't like the "Redskins" one, but we're cool with the others). It took a Native American that had lived out West where there was racial tensions between a City and a Tribe to help me understand.

The issues this year show they need to expand the playoffs. Not to 6 but 8. Ohio State, Georgia, FSU and Oregon deserve to be in consideration.

I'm gonna quote that first part 😎

I think Martha covered the expansion well in her post. But yeah at bare minimum, needs to be 6. And more than that is fine too, other than I do question about some teams getting home playoff games in college playoffs and others not. I think that might need to be looked into a bit more. Especially with post game security after upsets or heart breaking games.

UserPostedImage
beast
5 months ago

Next year there are 12 teams in the College Playoff next year.

The expanded 12-team playoff will be made up of the six conference champions ranked highest by the committee (no minimum ranking requirement), and the six highest-ranked teams not among the conference champions. The four highest-ranked conference champions would be seeded Nos. 1 through 4 and receive first-round byes. The other eight seeds — Nos. 5 through 12 — would play in the first round.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Yeah with the Pac-12 basically disappearing I was wondering if they might change that from 6 conference championships, down to 5. Because do two small conference championships really deserve to be there? Maybe give it a chance, but if they keep getting their butt whooped, I would maybe drop that down.

I assume the top 4 conference Championships will be from the SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and ACC.

The others are (and I had to look this up), American, Conference USA (CUSA), Mid-American (MAC), Mountain West and Sun Belt.

And their conference championship for this year are
American #24 SMU
CUSA #23 Liberty
MAC Miami of Ohio
Sun Belt Troy
Mountain West Boise State (with interim head coach, first time in college history that an interim head coach won the Conference Championship)

So if the 2023 Rankings were put into the 12 team playoffs, it would look something like

Top 4 get a bye week
1) Michigan or Washington (whomever wins the Big 10 Championship)
2) Texas
3) Alabama
4) Florida State

#12 seed SMU at #5 seed Georgia
#11 seed Liberty at #6 seed Michigan/Washington
Do we really need to see these games to know whom would win? But Liberty is going against Oregon in a Bowl game, so let's see if there is a reason to watch.

#10 seed Penn State at #7 seed Ohio State
#9 Missouri at #8 Oregon
Penn State vs Ohio State doesn't excite me, but that's just because they play every year including earlier this year and Penn State never seems to win. But Missouri at Oregon could be exciting.

I'm not sure, but I think I read they're doing it bracket style, like NCAA March Madness.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 months ago
Decided to tune into sports radio this morning. One guy said he can't wait to go to 12 teams so they can argue about 13th team. Other guy said hell no, I won't argue that but I'll definitely talk about 5th team!

Found that interesting view and we'll see.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 months ago

Decided to tune into sports radio this morning. One guy said he can't wait to go to 12 teams so they can argue about 13th team. Other guy said hell no, I won't argue that but I'll definitely talk about 5th team!

Found that interesting view and we'll see.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I've heard about that argument as well, and I'm sure we'll hear it because these games are so much about money and Alabama basically had a political drive for making their argument that should they go undefeated the rest of the way, why they should be in the playoffs.

That being said, I think there have been a number of years where you could make the argument that the #5 or #6 ranked team could of been the top team in the Nation.

To keep it simple, Georgia and Florida State this year, Georgia was #1 and lost by only 3 points and now totally out of it, and then Florida State never lost but had a weaker schedule and their starting QB is injured.

But it's extremely rare for there to be times where you can make an argument that one of the teams 7th through 12th are top team in the Nation. 2006 Boise State being ranked #9 before beating the Adrian Peterson Oklahoma team is one of the few exceptions.

And by getting the top non-power 5 conference Champion into the playoffs, they have basically solved that issue. But can you think of a power 5 conference team that you could make a case for being #1 that finished 7th through 12th?

Though, I will argue that the 2016 Standford team (RB Christian McCaffrey) was EXTREMELY hot at the end of the season and might of been able to play with top 6 teams.... BUT you can't argue that they were #1 after they lost 3 games. And that's why they were ranked #16 before the Bowl Games, and only #12 after winning their bowl game.

In my opinion, they NEEDED to make the playoffs AT LEAST 6 teams. At the very least! So I was arguing for a 6 to 8 team playoffs.

12 team fits the need of at least 6, but I really could take or leave those the last 4. To put that in terms of this year's group as I posted above. I could do without SMU, Penn State, Missouri and Oregon. SMU is #24 overall... Penn State and Missouri aren't even in the top 2 of their own Conference and Oregon had two shots at beating Washington and lost both (by 3 points each but still loss).
UserPostedImage
dhazer
5 months ago

That said they are a P5 team. They were undefeated. It's one thing if a "Little Sisters Five" conference goes undefeated. They are not playing as difficult of a schedule. The ACC qualifies. If not say so right now. Pac 12 is dead and the ACC doesn't count either. Soon the Big 12 will be forced out and it will just be the Big Ten and SEC.

I was curious about the strength of schedules so I looked at the Jeff Sagarin ratings:
1 Michigan 13-0 (56)
2 Oregon 11-2 (25)
3 Ohio State 11-1 (36)
4 Texas 12-1 (4)
5 Penn State 10-2 (55)
6 Alabama 12-1 (12)
7 Georgia 12-1 (46)
8 Oklahoma 10-2 (19)
9 Washington 13-0 ( 5)
10 Florida State 13-0 (61)

There is an easy fix to this but they refuse to do it because they need that SEC money. There are 10 conferences so if you win your conference you are in the playoffs, plain and simple. That takes the BS thinking the SEC is so great when in reality they are not. But every year they put like 6 or 7 SEC teams in the top 25 to start the year. Here is some interesting facts about the SEC vs the other Power 5 conferences this year.
ACC is 6-4 against the SEC
BIG 12 is 2-1 including Texas beating Bama
BIG 10 didn't play
Pac12 is the only losing conference 1-2

So how are they so dominant I saw someone say something about the FSU offense but have the best defense, well guess what defense wins championships? Also, one thing about Bama is if Auburn doesn't hand them the win the week before with a 4th and 31 what would people say about the SEC if Bama had 2 losses and were champs? As I have said the SEC pays good money to make sure they get the players and the tv time. Remember how they took away USC's championship and Bush's Heisman because of being paid, but no one says anything about how they let Cam Newton play for Auburn in the championship game and never took anything away from them?

So I say FSU should have gotten in they took care of business and won every game and also there backup QB would be playing Jan 1st and he was the same qb that beat the SEC team Florida lol.

So in the end it's all about the money and you watch when they goto 14 teams next year 5 of them will be SEC

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17m) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (17m) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

20h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.