wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 months ago

UserPostedImage
The full Q&A with longtime NFL linebacker Chad Brown, a man with a fresh perspective on the future of football.

Continue Reading @ Go Long 

Go Long wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
4 months ago
It's a hectic morning. I haven't had a chance to read the whole article but this is so very true

I will say this — and not without a ton of regret — and it sounds cringeworthy: I was taught to hit the quarterback as hard as you can and try to hit him in the head because we can knock him out of the game. Obviously, the game has changed. It is not Roger Goodell, it’s not Brett Favre, it’s not me, it’s not you, it's not Tom Brady who ensures the football future in America. It’s Little Timmy’s Mom. So if Little Timmy’s Mom is not comfortable with Little Timmy playing football, then we don’t have enough dudes to play football. So the perception of safety needs to be at a high enough point where Mom feels a little comfortable with Timmy going out there and playing youth football. And then that’s what allows Timmy to fall in love with it. That’s what allows Timmy to go on and play high school football and then college and the NFL. But it’s that love early on — the Mom has to approve to get Little Timmy on the field. And so unless Mom thinks that the rules are going to be set in a place where he can be safe and not have brain damage when he is done and the fields are safer and helmet technology is moving at a faster pace than ever before — and all these publicity statements that the league puts out — then there’s not going to be football 20 or 30 years down the road.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
4 months ago
If people don't understand why players cry when they have a season/career ending injury this explains it. These guys pour themselves into their training. It isn't a simple 4 hours a day routine. It is 24 hours a day 7 days a week (Their sleep patterns are a part of their training too.) They give everything they have to be the best of the best and in an instant "pop" it's over. Gary cried when he was given the game ball after beating the Lions on TGD. His rehab was an even more difficult routine than what a typical NFL player goes through.

And then if you want to continue to excel in this game at certain positions, it requires an incredible amount of physicality. And typically the more physical you are, the more you are willing to risk your life in limb, so to speak, the higher you will go. And the pain factor has always been a way to weed out people at each level of football. You're running around as an elementary school kid and you're barely falling on top of each other. By the time you get to junior high, there's some kids who are more mature and they’re like trained assassins out there. Then you get to high school and it's like, “Oh my gosh, that dude is 300 pounds in high school! And I got to play against this guy.” And that continues as you move up through the game and it continues to weed out people.

UserPostedImage
4 months ago
This is a very interesting thread. I would like to interject an opinion into the discussion see what you gentlemen think.

My late husband and all three of my sons played football. All were above average in height and build and so naturally that was an advantage. However, my husband did not allow the boys to play tackle (even though they wanted to) until 8th grade. He had several reasons for this:
- he did not think of the boys were physically mature enough to play football
- he did not want our larger kids hurting the younger kids who were not physically mature
- he did not feel that the coaching at the youth levels was worth the risk

He had them play flag football to learn general concepts until they were more physically mature. Were they at a disadvantage their first year competing with kids who had played for three or four years? Sure, but we were playing the long game. They held their own and by the end of the 8th grade they were completely ”caught up” in terms of game experience and acumen.
I think the discussion point in regard to” selling the moms” to allow their kids to play football is an excellent one. I know for me, it was far easier to let them play when I knew they were properly coached and that they were physically mature enough to play.

I really think that the pee-wee/youth leagues probably do more harm than they do good in terms of endearing people to the game. There are many kids who mature earlier who are All Stars in 3rd grade who by the time they get to high school simply cannot compete because the other kids have all caught up or surpassed them in terms of physical maturity. Ironically, the kids who mature later have to learn techniques at an earlier age to be able to compete. Then, when they mature they have “it all”.

I have probably mentioned that my husband coached for many years and would discuss how the game had changed both in terms of the rules and equipment and speed. He happened to play linebacker and would tell me that he would absolutely level receivers crossing in front of him who were running crossing routes. At the time this was within the rules, and it had the effect of slowing down receivers crossing the middle. I can imagine what Quay Walker (or a Dick Butkus) would do to Tyreek Hill crossing in front of him if he could under those rules.

Accordingly, the game has to be coached and taught differently. I sometimes wonder however if the illegality of downfield contact doesn't speed up the game such that injuries are more prevalent.

As I said this is a very interesting topic and I look forward to other people's comments.

Go Packers!!!!
wpr
  • wpr
4 months ago
Martha you made some good comments. (as always.) Back in the stone ages when I was a lad we didn't have flag football. We had 6-8 grade youth football. I was pretty small so I was allowed to play with the "lights" instead of the "heavies" even though I was in 8th grade. I was the only 8th grader on the lightweight team. I loved it. I was one of the biggest guys on the team. RT and DT. I played all the time. I wouldn't have played if I was on the heavyweight team. The school I went to as a freshman didn't have a football team. We moved and the first day of practice was the day we came to town. Being the new kid and not very athletic seemed like a disaster to me. I went to work at the local hamburger joint instead.
My son did not want to play football at any level. Ever.
As far as coaching again you and your husband were correct. I liked our coach but he didn't have the skills to teach kids at every single position. He had one assistant. He took the offense and the other guy the defense. 3/4 of the way through the season I was pulled off the DL. They didn't like something I was doing but to this day I don't know what it was. They never told me what they expected me to do. Rush the QB (who rarely threw.) and tackle the RB. Nothing about what I needed to do to make a move on the lineman in front of me. Same on offense. I knew nothing about blocking except to engage the DL and push him out of the way. Usually to my right.
UserPostedImage
4 months ago

As far as coaching again you and your husband were correct. I liked our coach but he didn't have the skills to teach kids at every single position. He had one assistant. He took the offense and the other guy the defense. 3/4 of the way through the season I was pulled off the DL. They didn't like something I was doing but to this day I don't know what it was. They never told me what they expected me to do. Rush the QB (who rarely threw.) and tackle the RB. Nothing about what I needed to do to make a move on the lineman in front of me. Same on offense. I knew nothing about blocking except to engage the DL and push him out of the way. Usually to my right.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

In baseball/softball, if you coach a kid wrong, you might mess up an arm...or if you teach him/her to slide wrong, maybe a leg. In basketball, you just lose. In volleyball, you just lose.

However in football, you could get a head or neck injury, paralysis or death. Thankfully, there is much more sensitivity (and sanity) in regard to concussions in sports. Most HS and middle school coaches have to take concussion awareness courses (I doubt pee-wee guys do). BTW, the most prolific concussion sport is (and neck injuries) is girl's soccer.

I am rambling, but WPR, your coaching experience in football is not out of the ordinary from what I have seen and heard.

Go Packers!!!!
Fan Shout
dhazer (6h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (7h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (7h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (22h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.