nerdmann
5 months ago
We gonna take guys off the practice squad or are we gonna go get Patrick Taylor? We presumably need two guys right now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
TheKanataThrilla
5 months ago
I think we have to poach Taylor from the Pats practice squad. Not sure what the prognosis is for Wilson, but Jones looks done for the year. We do have one guy on our practice squad that we can bring up if Wilson is a short term injury. Dislocated shoulder...not sure what the timeline is for that.
beast
5 months ago

We gonna take guys off the practice squad or are we gonna go get Patrick Taylor? We presumably need two guys right now.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Taylor is on a PS... so yeah, take guys off PS.

But they have some former Packers to choose from other teams PS (if the players want to return, sometimes they don't).

Patrick Taylor (Patriots)
Tyler Goodson (Colts)
Lew Nichols (Eagles)

Also the Vikings drafted RB DeWayne McBride in the 7th round. A lot thought he had very good potential as a runner, but wasn't well rounded as a blocker or receiver. Could try to grab him off the Vikings PS.

Though if LaFleaur is still here next year, then note RB Derrick Henry looks like he'll be a FA, former RB of LaFleaur. Though sounds like Baltimore is clearly most interested in him. Sounded like they almost even traded for him. Titans keep shopping him, so seems unlikely to re-sign.

UserPostedImage
5 months ago
Bill Huber wrote (Beast ID'd 3 of them):

Five Possible Signings for Packers After Aaron Jones’ Injury
The Green Bay Packers lost their top running back, Aaron Jones, and their promising rookie, Emanuel Wilson, to significant injuries during the same series. Where will they turn?

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Desperate times call for desperate measures. And the Green Bay Packers are desperate at running back after starter Aaron Jones and rookie Emanuel Wilson were carted off the field in a span of seven plays against the Chargers.

The Packers won 23-20 with AJ Dillon as the only man in the backfield. With a short turnaround to Thursday’s game at the Detroit Lions, the Packers need to find a running back capable of stepping into the offense in an instant.

“We’ll have a solution for it, I promise you. We’ll have a solution,” coach Matt LaFleur said.

Fortunately, these five players are obvious options.

Patrick Taylor
Patrick Taylor signed with the Packers after going undrafted in 2020. After sitting out his rookie season to get over a foot injury sustained while at Memphis, Taylor played in nine games in 2021 and 14 games in 2022.

The Packers kept Wilson over Taylor during this year’s roster cuts, but Taylor stuck on the practice squad as the unofficial No. 3 back. He was elevated from the practice squad for three of the first four games, then signed to the 53-man roster for Week 5 at the Raiders. He was released after that game and landed on New England’s practice squad.

Because he’s on a practice squad, the Packers would have to sign him to their 53-man roster.

Taylor, who has not played for the Patriots, is a do-it-all running back capable of running, catching and protecting. With three-plus years in Green Bay and 27 games under his belt, he certainly knows the offense and what to expect. His best professional game – 11 carries, 53 yards and his only career touchdown – came at Detroit in the 2021 finale.

Tyler Goodson
Tyler Goodson went undrafted in 2022 and was released with an injury settlement during training camp this summer. While he’s spent the last three months on the Colts’ practice squad, he’d return to Green Bay with a firm grasp of the offense.

As is the case with Taylor, the Packers would have to sign Goodson to their 53-man roster.

Undersized but with some explosiveness and pass-catching skills, Goodson would provide a change-of-pace option to the thundering Dillon. He has not played in a regular-season game, though.

James Robinson
After releasing Taylor following the Las Vegas game, the Packers opted to sign veteran James Robinson to the practice squad instead.

An undrafted free agent in 2020, Robinson rushed for 1,070 yards as a rookie. With 49 catches, his 1,414 total yards were the most in NFL history by an undrafted rookie running back as he earned All-Rookie honors.

However, his 2021 season ended with a torn Achilles and he’s never been the same player. At least he’d know the offense and has a lot of high-level experience.

“I can see why this guy rushed for 1,000 yards as a rookie,” running backs coach Ben Sirmans said. “You can see he’s got good vision, he’s got good instincts, he’s patient. His ability to find a crease, because he moves just fast enough to let things develop in front of him, and then he can interpret what he sees and, bam, he’s hitting it.

“I’ve been pretty pleased with him. I totally feel confident that, if he’s got to go in the game, he would give us some production based off of what I’ve seen so far without being live.”

After three weeks, the Packers released Robinson in favor of the next player on this list.

Ellis Merriweather
The Packers signed Merriweather to the practice squad on Nov. 6. He went undrafted and unsigned this year; he participated in the Packers’ rookie camp as a tryout player but was not signed.

Merriweather spent training camp with the Saints. While he’s never played in a game, he’s already in Green Bay and ready to dive into the game plan. The Packers could simply elevate him to the gameday roster rather than signing him to the 53.

“I really want to be an extra wide receiver,” Merriweather said after the draft. “I’m so big, people don’t even think about putting me as a wide receiver. [My catching] is honestly my best ability.”

Lew Nichols
The Packers used a seventh-round pick in this year’s draft on Lew Nichols, who led the nation in combined rushing and receiving yardage at Central Michigan in 2021. Nichols never stood out on the practice field, though, and was released at the end of training camp. The Packers opted to keep Taylor on the practice squad instead of Nichols.

Nichols has spent the past month on the Eagles’ practice squad, so he’s ready to go physically. He’d return to Green Bay with a strong foundation in the offense.

Like Taylor and Goodson, the Packers would have to sign Nichols to the 53.

Go Packers!!!!
nerdmann
5 months ago

Bill Huber wrote (Beast ID'd 3 of them):

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Sounds like they're going with Robinson.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
5 months ago
Well, if they aren't going to IR anyone, then there are no open spots to add a guy off another team (without a release).

So if Jones and Wilson are healthy enough to stay in the 53 man roster, it makes sense they look to their own PS first.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones go on the IR before the game, and they fill the spot next week with a RB from elsewhere.

Heck, if it's someone like Patrick Taylor they can probably do it late this week, if Patriots don't use a block on him. (Teams can block x amount of players each week from being signed off their practice squad from like Wednesday until Sunday, so they can put that player in the game plan... Though other teams can still sign them Monday or Tuesday or something.along those lines).
UserPostedImage
beast
5 months ago
Packers signing RB Patrick Taylor, releasing S Dallin Leavitt

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/20/instant-analysis-of-packers-signing-rb-patrick-taylor-releasing-s-dallin-leavitt/ 

Along with adding James Robinson to the practice squad, the Green Bay Packers continued to bolster their running back depth to combat injuries to Aaron Jones and Emanuel Wilson by claiming old friend Patrick Taylor off the New England Patriots practice squad.

Predicting how a team is going to fill a void on their roster can often be a challenging task. However, bringing back Taylor is about as obvious of a move as we will see take place. Taylor, of course, knows the offense well. With AJ Dillon expected to be the lead back in Detroit, Taylor can fill that third down role for Green Bay, being utilized in pass protection and has proven to be a reliable option in the passing game as well.

Taylor appeared in four games for the Packers this season, and while his primary role came on special teams, he played 70 snaps on offense, holding up well as a blocker, catching five passes for 28 yards, including some key fourth quarter receptions in the Packers comeback win over New Orleans. As a ball carrier, he has averaged 2.8 yards per rush on 11 attempts.

“The thing about it, he’s got better from where he was,” said running backs coach Ben Sirmans about Taylor earlier in the season. “He’s a guy that definitely you rely on because we trust him in those situations. Any time he gets his opportunity, he’s going to go all out. That’s one of the things you do appreciate about him.”

With Dillon and Taylor on the 53-man roster, Robinson will likely be one of the Packers practice squad elevations on Thursday to provide depth.

Why they might of selected Leavitt over others

In order to make room for Taylor on the 53-man roster, the Packers released safety and core special teams player Dallin Leavitt. There are likely a few contributing factors that went into this decision.

For one, the circumstances that the Packers find themselves in and needing to bolster their running back depth. But in addition to that, Leavitt had a pair of special teams penalties on the opening kickoff that backed the offense up inside its own 5-yard line. As ESPN’s Rob Demovsky put it, that drew the “ire” of Matt LaFleur.

The recent play of Zayne Anderson likely made this move easier to make. Similarly to Leavitt, Anderson is a safety and his primary role comes on special teams. Having both on the roster was a bit redundant to a degree. Anderson is younger and over the last three games, he has made three special teams tackles. For some context, Jonathan Owens is the Packers season leader in that category and he has made five.

Also, and while not the be-all-end-all, Leavitt’s special teams grade from PFF ranked 47th out of 52 eligible Packers. Not ideal for a player whose calling card is special teams and isn’t asked to contribute on defense.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (9h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (11h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (13h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (13h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (14h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.