wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 months ago

Elgton Jenkins' injury was a big hit for the Green Bay Packers offensive line. The Pro Bowl left guard suffered had an MCL sprain, which will make him miss playing time — he isn't expected to go on the injured reserve, but he has already missed a part of the game against the Atlanta Falcons, the entire game versus the New Orleans Saints, and isn't expected to play on Thursday against the Detroit Lions.

So far, the Packers coaching staff decision has been to replace Jenkins with Royce Newman, who has significant starting experience in the NFL. However, his performance hasn't been good whatsoever. It's time to give second-year player Sean Rhyan a shot.

Performance

During the game in Atlanta, it made sense to put Newman when Jenkins got injured. After all, it could be risky to go with a completely inexperienced player in Rhyan without the proper preparation. But, even though Newman didn't allow any pressure, he was still the fourth-lowest graded (52.3) offensive player against the Atlanta Falcons.

Before the Saints game, head coach Matt LaFleur left the door open for a competition, but ended up going with Newman again for the home opener. Newman's performance at Lambeau Field was concerning (for Jordan Love's health reasons, especially).

Maybe it's time to play Sean Rhyan. pic.twitter.com/qH1L3ig2bM 

— Wendell Ferreira (@wendellfp) September 26, 2023 

The left guard played 55 pass protection snaps, allowing a team-high four pressures, according to PFF. He was the second lowest-graded offensive player according to Andy Herman, ahead only of Jon Runyan. By PFF, he was the third lowest-graded (50.1) offensive player, ahead of Runyan and Josiah Deguara.

A high-floor can't be the reason why he's playing.

Ceiling and future

If the floor isn't the reason, the Packers should think about ceiling. And there's not much doubt that Sean Rhyan offers a much higher one. A third-round pick in last year's draft, Rhyan hasn't played any offensive snaps in the NFL. Nonetheless, he showed signs of improvement comparing training camps and preseasons from his rookie year and 2023. In preseason, he played over Newman for most of the time. Rhyan might not be great, for sure, but there's also a decent chance of him being an upgrade.

You could ask why the Packers wouldn't have done it already if Rhyan had played well in practice. That's a fair argument, to be sure, but LaFleur has a long track record of overvaluing experience on the offensive line: he chose Lane Taylor over Elgton Jenkins, Rick Wagner over Yosh Nijman, and Yosh Nijman over Zach Tom. This is nothing new.

Moreover, everyone knows at this point that Royce Newman is not a preferred starter — and most likely will never be. But Sean Rhyan still can be. If he plays well while Jenkins is out, he could become a quality long-term starter. It would open the option of Rhyan himself moving to right guard over Jon Runyan, or maybe moving Jenkins to center over Josh Myers.

This is pretty much an evaluation year for the Packers. Good things are happening faster than expected for the offense, so why don't they follow the same logic to give Rhyan an opportunity?

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Rhyan may deserve a chance. Fans seem to forget that they don't know the whole story but the coaches do. They've seen Rhyan in practice. They know if he's better than the starters. Just because fans get impatient doesn't mean they have the answers.
UserPostedImage
beast
7 months ago

Rhyan may deserve a chance. Fans seem to forget that they don't know the whole story but the coaches do. They've seen Rhyan in practice. They know if he's better than the starters. Just because fans get impatient doesn't mean they have the answers.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah the coaches do, and the coaches told him to stay seated, Newman is going in the game.

There is no reason to give up on him, but he had his shot in training camp, and supposedly Rhyan was unstoppable in pass blocking drills, got a ton of hype and got in preseason games and struggled more than Newman (based on coaches actions).

Also I'd argue that Hanson out played them both, but got injured and Packers released him injured (I'm expecting them to try to resign Hanson to the PS when his injury contract release runs out). Of course, I don't know how serious his injury was.

The article argument for Rhyan seems to be, he was a 3rd round pick, hasn't played in the regular season yet, he's not Newman and LaFleur chose Lane Taylor over Elgton Jenkins, Rick Wagner over Yosh Nijman, and Yosh Nijman over Zach Tom.

Which that's a horrible argument... Rhyan was a 3rd round pick, Newman a 4th round pick, and Scott Wells was a 7th round pick and so far has out played them both, so draft pick doesn't matter. And neither does the fact that he's not Newman.

He hasn't played in the regular season, how is the that a positive argument? That's just saying the grass must be greener on the other side, which might not be true.

As far as LaFleur choosing veterans over youngsters...

1) Lane Taylor was going into 7th year with the Packers, including 4th year as a starter, while Jenkins was a rookie. And looking at PFF preseason numbers, Taylor was one of the best in preseason and rookie Jenkins was was absolutely horrible in run blocking. Also Taylor got to focus solely at LG, while Jenkins worked all 3 interior positions and actually focused on LG the least of the 3 in preseason.,

2) Actually Nijman started before Wagner, so originally this is not correct, and Nijman moved to LT. It's when RT Billy Turner returned from injury that they moved Billy Turner over to LT and benched Nijman. But if you notice Nijman's career, he has a pattern, after getting a chance, he's consistently the first one to get benched. Even the OL coach with the expected Tom vs Nijman battle for starting RT... OL coach said sometimes people rise to the challenge, and other times people don't. And Nijman ended up behind Walker whom wasn't supposed to even be in the competition.

3) Yes, in 2022 OT Nijman got the call over OL Tom, but that's because they needed an OT. Where Gute said the Packers thought rookie Tom best spot would be Center, and they were working him in the interior a lot. While veteran Nijman got to focus on OT spots,.rookie Tom was asked to work at all 5 positions.

So yes, LaFleaur prefers a veteran that got to focus on one position, over rookies that were asked to focus on 3 to 5 positions.

But Rhyan nor Newman are rookies, and both focused only on the two OG positions in preseason games. So none of this applies.

I mean, if Rhyan is looking better in practices then maybe give a change a chance. But don't change just for change sake.

Also, if you're thinking of potentially making a change. After the next two games would be good times to make changes. Short week Thursday game, followed by a MNF game gives a lot of extra time. Then after the MNF is a bye week. Of course, considering they didn't IR Jenkins, maybe he'll be back by then.

UserPostedImage
beast
7 months ago
Hell, at this point, it might be worth giving anyone and everyone a shot.

Throw Rhyan, Nijman, Caleb Jones and whomever else you got, in at OG during practice and take the best one.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
7 months ago
I thought Newman was one of the last two or three in for a roster spot and games like the one tonight is why. Was wondering if Rhyan would get in at some point but I think Newman went the whole game. If they don't seriously consider making a switch over the next week and a half than we have a problem. I'm not sure how well Rhyan will fare but he can probably move guys better in the run game than Newman and can't get much worse in pass pro.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
7 months ago

I thought Newman was one of the last two or three in for a roster spot and games like the one tonight is why. Was wondering if Rhyan would get in at some point but I think Newman went the whole game. If they don't seriously consider making a switch over the next week and a half than we have a problem. I'm not sure how well Rhyan will fare but he can probably move guys better in the run game than Newman and can't get much worse in pass pro.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Not sure but I think they might feel that Newman and Myers might have a higher ceiling than some of these dudes, so they might get to keep shitting themselves in hopes that a light suddenly goes on.

Glad we got the extra OL depth we do, and that's squarely because of Gutey.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
7 months ago

Glad we got the extra OL depth we do, and that's squarely because of Gutey.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

If we got depth then why they hell aren't we using it?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (14h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (16h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (18h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (18h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (19h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.