mi_keys
  • mi_keys
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Two times in the last two days a quarterback has been considered down due to forward progress being stopped. The second of the two was actually intentional grounding so how they called it literally had no affect on the game. However, the first gave Phoenix a safety. Now I'm absolutely shocked that there has not been more talk about the first one anywhere in the media or on forums. I feel like I'm on crazy pills. Now, I understand that there is this whole rule allowing referees to stop a play because a runner no longer has forward progress but it's very rarely applied. Usually you have to have a runner or a receiver swallowed up by multiple defenders being driven backwards and usually they don't blow it dead until he's been driven back 5 or 10 yards.. Since I first started following football in 1995 I had never once seen this rule applied in this manner, not at the professional or collegiate level. Now I've seen it twice in a 24 hour span. I understand the need to defend a quarterback but the bottom line was he was in no immediate danger of being hurt. There was on lineman wrapping him up from behind with his arms around his waste. No part of his body that would constitute being down came within 18 inches of the ground, he always had his arms free, he was never looking to move forward, and he completed a forward pass to an eligible receiver. How can one justify that as being a sack and a safety? What's next, two hand touch for qbs? Am I on crazy pills or do any of you agree?
Born and bred a cheesehead
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I missed the play today, but yesteday it was the correct call IMO.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
15 years ago
Well..........once again, they are "judgement calls". So the ref makes it, and whether you agree with it or not, there's nothing you can really do about it.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
I do agree with both of the calls.
This is a placeholder
Formo
15 years ago
I miss both calls.

Video evidence will help.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
mi_keys
  • mi_keys
15 years ago

I miss both calls.

Video evidence will help.

"Formo" wrote:

Eagles vs. Vikings
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=54458&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter 
The play starts at about 3:25

Falcons vs. Cardinals
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=54455&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter 
The play starts at about 4:23

So why does everyone think they're the right calls?
Cheesey
15 years ago
The Ryan one i would say was the right call. The reason, the defender had him in the grasp, and the ONLY reason he didn't get slammed down was the Atlanta offensive lineman that was holding the defender from behind. So either way it would have been a safety.

McNabb, i don't agree with that one. He got the ball away before he was pushed back more then a yard.
But i guess if the QB's want to be protected, they have to take those kinds of calls that go against them. Otherwise, the defender should have a right to slam him down to prevent him from making that kind of play.
JMO
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
  • mi_keys
15 years ago

The Ryan one i would say was the right call. The reason, the defender had him in the grasp, and the ONLY reason he didn't get slammed down was the Atlanta offensive lineman that was holding the defender from behind. So either way it would have been a safety.

McNabb, i don't agree with that one. He got the ball away before he was pushed back more then a yard.
But i guess if the QB's want to be protected, they have to take those kinds of calls that go against them. Otherwise, the defender should have a right to slam him down to prevent him from making that kind of play.
JMO

"Cheesey" wrote:

Yeah, after I watched it again I saw the holding which could have been called. So in that sense it should be a safety. But I just don't like it that refs see something and think it should be a certain way so they just pull a call out of their ass to make it happen. For instance, the "illegal forward pass" called on Rodgers in the Minnesota game. There's a very good argument for intentional grounding but when one official said there was a receiver in the area the other guy decided to just make something up so it could still be a safety. And as for the protecting the quarterback issue, you have to draw the line somewhere. This is football, people get hurt, it's a risk players willingly assume when they step out on the field. A couple years ago, Vince Young got wrapped up by Kiwanuka. He stopped before the whistle and Young got away, the Titans got a first down and went on to win the game. I don't recall anyone saying the play should have been called dead to "protect the quarterback." Yet, under the rulings made this past weekend it would have been. That's because the rule had never been used this way until this weekend. It's not an efficient way to protect the quarterbacks, Ryan got slammed to the ground anyway. And now you're basically saying quarterbacks can't get away and make a play or throw the ball at the last second. Furthermore, as you mentioned before it's a judgment call. That's one more reason to limit it. The more chances we give refs to make judgment calls the more chances they have to control the game. There's no subjectivity in whether or not a player's knee touched the ground but there is in a ref trying to figure out well can the quarterback escape or is he in danger and if such when should I end the play. I don't want this to be another step in the direction of no one being allowed to touch a quarterback. This isn't a preschool two hand touch league, it's the NFL. Quarterbacks aren't fragile little children, they can take a pounding every so often.

Okay, sorry for the rant but I need to let this all out or my head is going to explode.

P.S. for reference here is the video of Vince Young

It occurs at about 0:39
Cheesey
15 years ago
Mi_keys.........I agree with you totally!
Thats one of the problems, one ref's idea of "in the grasp" is not necessarily the same for another ref. As long as it's a "judgement call" they can call it........or NOT call it as they want.
Theres no black or white in it, it's all grey.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
15 years ago
Speaking of the topic, one rule I would like to see changed, is the play along the sideline, when a player goes out of bounds, but the clock does not stop, because his forward progress was stopped.

I think, at least in the last 2 minutes of the game, if a player goes out of bounds, the clock should stop. As the rule stands now, you have to pretty much run out of bounds untouched, or the clock will keep moving.

I remember a few years back we were driving against Houston with under a minute left, Driver caught a pass from Favre along the sideline with about 20 seconds left, was pushed out of bounds, and the clock kept running. No one noticed at first, as everyone assumed since he got out of bounds that the clock should have stopped.

Thankfully, Favre noticed at the last second and called a timeout. We ended up kicking the field goal to win the game. But thats a rule I definitely think needs to be changed. No judgement calls; if he gets out of bounds, the clock should stop.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (4h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (4h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (4h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (5h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (5h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (7h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (12h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (12h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.