beast
9 months ago
Post Bengals Preseason Game Update on my 53 man roster guess.

IR: TE Davis, OT Tenuta
PUP: Stokes

Offense
QB (2): Love, Clifford (2)
RB (2): Jones, Dillon (4)

WR (6): Watson, Doubs, Toure, Reed, Wicks, Heath (10)
TE/FB (3): Musgrave, Deguara, Kraft (13)

OT (5): Bakhtiari, Tom, Nijman, Jones, Walker (18)
IOL (4) Jenkins, Meyers, Runyan, Rhyan (22)

=====================

I really dislike the unbalance between offense and defense, and I feel confident the Packers will be reviewing all available RBs, FBs, TEs to get more offensive STers and depth, including the guys still here. So will be interesting to see if a guy like RB Wilson gets more ST snaps in the coming week, as right now, I might have RB Taylor as the #3 after TE Davis injury to fill in for blocking on returns.

But use a lot of the PS spots on offense might balance it out a bit.

Also was in consideration
WR Melton (for STs only)
WR Dubose (Draft pick with physical pote

OG Newman (Physical Potential)
All Centers (Need more Depth)

All RBs, FB and TEs as explained above. RB Taylor might have the most current ST vaule, FB Pearson had the most ST snaps, but didn't nessarily do the best with them.

======================

Defense
DT (2): Slaton, Ford (2)
DE (4): Clark, Wyatt, Wooden, Brooks (6)

OLB (6): Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare, Hollins, Cox (12)
ILB (5): Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Wilson, Mosby (17)

S (6): Savage, Owns, Ford, Moore, Johnson, Leavitt (23)
CB (5) Alexander, Douglas, Nixon, Valentine, Ballentine (28)

======================

Also, it's absolutely heavy on DL, OLB and S and could lose one or two for CB or offensive players.

OLB Mosby did very well in ST snaps in the Bengals game, and an article from his days with the Panthers seem to suggest he could play OLB or ILB, so I moved him to ILB on the roster.

After going heavy on Defense, not many to consider. But someone like CB Thomas or ILB Carpenter could be competing for those last ST spots or WR Melton taking one to help.

===================
Special Teams
ST (3):K: Carlson
P: O’Donnell
LS: Orzech
UserPostedImage
earthquake
9 months ago
I always enjoy reading these.

One thing I find interesting in Beast's and Kevin's lists are including C. Jones and R. Walker and releasing R. Newman. While I don't want to see Newman starting I think he's probably the 7th or 8th best OL on the team. His contract (cap hit) is reasonable. He's still young so he could improve in his third year. There might be a handful of teams (or more) that have a starter that is worse than Newman. While I wouldn't be at all upset to see him cut, I think one of C. Jones or R. Walker is easier to sneak onto the practice squad. So my expectation would be that they keep him, or trade him for a late-round pick.

Alright, I've said nice things about Royce Newman and have to go wash the vomit out of my mouth now (with bourbon), good night.
blank
nerdmann
9 months ago

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
9 months ago

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Because it's like seeing the answers before taking a test when you read mine, yes? Yes?????
UserPostedImage
beast
9 months ago

One thing I find interesting in Beast's and Kevin's lists are including C. Jones and R. Walker and releasing R. Newman. While I don't want to see Newman starting I think he's probably the 7th or 8th best OL on the team. His contract (cap hit) is reasonable. He's still young so he could improve in his third year. There might be a handful of teams (or more) that have a starter that is worse than Newman. While I wouldn't be at all upset to see him cut, I think one of C. Jones or R. Walker is easier to sneak onto the practice squad. So my expectation would be that they keep him, or trade him for a late-round pick.

Alright, I've said nice things about Royce Newman and have to go wash the vomit out of my mouth now (with bourbon), good night.

With Bakhtiari having a rest day, Walker recently got #1 LT reps, which is interesting that it didn't go to Nijman or Tom. And not long ago, I thought Jones was working slightly ahead of Walker.

And there is a very slim chance, small but still a chance... Bakhtiari might finish the season as a member of the Jets.

Also, maybe the larger possible trade of Nijman in a contract year being traded if the other OTs step up.

And as I mentioned, Newman has more physical potential than others being released, BUT he's making a ton of mental errors, and less likely he still has lost his confidence. 

​​​​​​But you are absolutely right, he has the physics potential. And really just one game (for us fans, maybe one practice week for the Packers decision makers) of playing up to his potential or looking a heck of a lot better could potentially could lock him into a roster spot (or if the decision makers think they potential could be trading someone).

But the bottom line, we're just judging so far, they're all so close, the next preseason game could change their rankings. 

And again, also effecting things are Nijman is in a contract year. Bakhtiari has dealt with staying healthy recently. So you NEED extra OTs. And we don't trust Newman at OG much less OT. So it comes down to Newman or Rhyan. Rhyan is the newer pick, the higher picks, and so far, sounding better in camp. Then comes down to Newman vs the defensive players, and I just don't known whom to release. NT Ford? OLB Hollins?

But if we release Ford, then down to one true NT, as Clark has been strongly focusing on DE and really struggled at NT last year.

And OLB Hollins was been working with the 1s a lot with Gary injured, and probably knows what Barry is trying to do more from their time on the Rams together.

​​​​​

UserPostedImage
earthquake
9 months ago

With Bakhtiari having a rest day, Walker recently got #1 LT reps, which is interesting that it didn't go to Nijman or Tom. And not long ago, I thought Jones was working slightly ahead of Walker.

And there is a very slim chance, small but still a chance... Bakhtiari might finish the season as a member of the Jets.

Also, maybe the larger possible trade of Nijman in a contract year being traded if the other OTs step up.

And as I mentioned, Newman has more physical potential than others being released, BUT he's making a ton of mental errors, and less likely he still has lost his confidence. 

​​​​​​But you are absolutely right, he has the physics potential. And really just one game (for us fans, maybe one practice week for the Packers decision makers) of playing up to his potential or looking a heck of a lot better could potentially could lock him into a roster spot (or if the decision makers think they potential could be trading someone).

But the bottom line, we're just judging so far, they're all so close, the next preseason game could change their rankings. 

And again, also effecting things are Nijman is in a contract year. Bakhtiari has dealt with staying healthy recently. So you NEED extra OTs. And we don't trust Newman at OG much less OT. So it comes down to Newman or Rhyan. Rhyan is the newer pick, the higher picks, and so far, sounding better in camp. Then comes down to Newman vs the defensive players, and I just don't known whom to release. NT Ford? OLB Hollins?

But if we release Ford, then down to one true NT, as Clark has been strongly focusing on DE and really struggled at NT last year.

And OLB Hollins was been working with the 1s a lot with Gary injured, and probably knows what Barry is trying to do more from their time on the Rams together.

​​​​​

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah, this all makes sense, I'm not sure who I would cut on defense to retain Newman, but given that your list is a little unbalanced that's probably the route they take. So maybe it comes down to who they feel they can sneak onto the practice squad on that side of the ball. Maybe one of the safeties? Carrying 6 is quite a lot, is it not?

I agree with your points at tackle. Even if Bahktari plays this year and is healthy, they still need a long-term replacement for him. Nijman probably isn't it, and even if he is, they need a serviceable #3 tackle (assuming Tom is at RT). So if they think one of Jones or Walker could be the guy, they should hold onto them.

I also agree that if it comes down to Newman vs Rhyan, they keep Rhyan.

Anyway, this is nit-picking. It will be fun to see how thing shake out and how many you guys get right.
blank
nerdmann
9 months ago

Yeah, this all makes sense, I'm not sure who I would cut on defense to retain Newman, but given that your list is a little unbalanced that's probably the route they take. So maybe it comes down to who they feel they can sneak onto the practice squad on that side of the ball. Maybe one of the safeties? Carrying 6 is quite a lot, is it not?

I agree with your points at tackle. Even if Bahktari plays this year and is healthy, they still need a long-term replacement for him. Nijman probably isn't it, and even if he is, they need a serviceable #3 tackle (assuming Tom is at RT). So if they think one of Jones or Walker could be the guy, they should hold onto them.

Anyway, this is nit-picking. It will be fun to see how thing shake out and how many you guys get right.

Caleb Jones got nicked up. Him and Rasheed were both playing well. Starting to like our depth at T.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
9 months ago

Yeah, after making that post, I was thinking about maybe one of the Safeties.

I'd say traditional teams kept 6 CBs and 4 S, for a total of 10 DBs. But sometimes a 5th Safety with STs. But Packers have been going lighter in CBs it seems, though that also might be partly because the CB depth hasn't helped much on STs. 

And that's why I have had so many Safeties, they can all help a lot on STs, and one might argue they're more STers than Safeties. Other than the rookie, but the rookie is the only one currently signed for 2024, and he's got potential and a cheap rookie contract.

But if they have enough 200lb body types for STs, then yes they could release one of them. But one of the reasons I have them looking for RBs, FB and TEs ST help, is the roster balance and because with TE Davis going down, they might need another 250lb ST body.

Though, they did have Mike Daniels on kick return blocking duty at one point, so maybe the LBers and lighter backup DEs can help pick up that slack.

Also, I don't think Rhyan is that far ahead of Newman, but just going based on current reports.

I believe it was Runyan whom said one of the OL coaches is always preaching that everyone has to have the ability to play 3 OL spots. 

To my limited knowledge, Newman doesn't play Center, and while he can play OT, I don't think we trust him too.

But you are right, he should be on someone 53 man roster.

​​​​​
UserPostedImage
beast
8 months ago
Post Patriots game Update Prediction

IR: TE Davis, OT Tenuta, S Moore, FB Henry Pearson (lots of ST snaps for Pearson)

PUP: Stokes

I haven't heard anything update on S Moore, but it's a knee injury, so I generally fear the worst with knee injuries.

Also interesting to note that they have not placed TE Davis on the off-season IR ending his season to open a roster spot, are they going to keep him on the 53 man roster for a day to put him on thr in season IR list allowing him a chance to come back? If it's an ACL injury, I would doubt he has a chance to be back this year.  

Offense 

QB (2): Love, Clifford (2)
RB (2): Jones, Dillon, Taylor (5) 

WR (6): Watson, Doubs, Toure, Reed, Wicks, Heath (11)
TE/FB (3): Musgrave, Deguara, Kraft (14) 

OT (5): Bakhtiari, Tom, Nijman, Walker, Jones (19)
IOL (5) Jenkins, Meyers, Runyan, Hanson, Newman (24) 

=====================

A more balanced roster this time. 

RB Taylor makes it as the 250lb ST replacing TE Davis on STs. Taylor is simply the most versatile, though Wilson is making a strong case as a pure RB.

OT Jones, with his ankle injury, I was tempted to try to sneak him to the PS, but with Bakhtiari needing more rest and OT more a premium and Nijman in a co tract year, we need to try to continue to develop them.

IOL: Maybe one high on OL in general: Backup IOL is extremely close, and probably going down to pick the grow you have the more faith in, or you think has the more potential, which probably means that highest draft picks (Rhyan, Newman) will get the nod. BUT...
​​​​​
C Hanson, despite talk of Runyan and Rhyan being used at Center more, we haven't really seen it much in preseason games. And while Tom absolutely can backup Center, do they really want the starting OT to also be the backup Center? Plus Hanson has arguable outplayed both Newman and Rhyan so far and is more versatile. Again, probably going down to the highest draft picks, but Hanson might have played better than the others. (Of course, is Center easier to play than OG?)

OG Newman out played OG Rhyan this last preseason game. Though Rhyan was better in the first one, but I'm simply going with last result.

Just missed:
OG Rhyan
RB Wilson
RB Goodson
TE Austin Allen
WR/TE Dre Miller

​​​​​​===================== 

Defense  

DT (2): Clark, Slaton (2)
DE (3): Wyatt, Wooden, Brooks (5) 

OLB (6): Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare, Hollins, Cox (11)
ILB (5): Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Wilson, Mosby (16) 

S (5): Savage, Ford, Owens, Johnson, Leavitt (23)
CB (5) Alexander, Douglas, Nixon, Valentine, Thomas (26) 

======================

DL Ford seems to be playing himself out of a spot. Though Packers could use more NT depth, they have loaded up in lighter pass rushers that are more talented.

ST LBers: Looking at Wilson, Carpenter and Mosby mainly as STers. And at least according to PFF, Carpenter has struggled, while Wilson and Mosby (whom is listed at OLB on the depth chart) have been two of the 8 best. I moved Mosby to ILB because OLB is already crowded. And ST wise, Hollins might have to watch his back if Gary and Van Ness step it up and they're looking to release an OLB.

S: Moore has a knee injury and went to the IR in this draft, though again, I don't know how bad the knee injury is. Also, Moore keeps working himself up to the starting Reps, abd something then happens.

CB: Change here as Thomas took Ballentine's spot. Ballentine has been good enough to make the roster of another spot opens up (like if they release Hollins and don't need another larger ST body) but Thomas has simply been among the best on STs and pretty well on defense.

Just missed:
CB Ballentine
Ballentine is in a tier all of his own here. I probably need to find a way to get Ballentine on the roster too, maybe take out an IOL?

ILB Carpenter
NT Ford
CB Jean-Charles 
CB Hooper

=================== 

Special Teams 
ST (3):
K: Carlson
P: O’Donnell
LS: Orzech 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 months ago
As predicted, Jake Hanson waived.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.