minnypacker
15 years ago
If Orakapo isn't tehre at #9. Would it make sense to try to move down into the middle of round #1 if we can pick up another #2?

The BPA at #9 might be ...Beenie Wells, Vontae Davis, Malcolm Jenkins, Michael Johnson (GT - DE who is an enigma), or an OT (many good ones in this draft).

Do we take an OT (certainly not against it if we can address the DL in FA), a DB, or a DE that has some serious bust potential? Or.....Do we trade down to 15 or 16 range and grab Raji, Peria, or Jackson (LSU)?

Are the DL prospects in round #2 impact guys?

Thoughts?

How about Beckum in round #3...do we have a need?
HoustonMatt
15 years ago
I think the biggest argument for trading down is not a talent issue as much as it's a money issue. Let's assume we're targeting a DE. A DE drafted at the 9th spot is going to use Derrick Harvey's contract as a starting point. He received 5 yrs/$33 million with almost $18 million guaranteed. Lawrence Jackson, the 2nd DE taken in last year's draft at 28 got 5 yrs/$11.25 million with only $6 million guaranteed.

That's a huge difference in money without that large of a difference in talent. Dropping $6 million a year on a guy who has never played a down in the NFL is risky business.
blank
minnypacker
15 years ago
If there isn't an impact guy availabe...I think that makes a ton of sense.

Taylor Mays from USC...might he be a guy who is an impact type?
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Yes, we should. Only if Orakpo isn't there though.

We might be able to pick up Shonn Greene (RB - Iowa) with the extra 2nd. And we could get Raji in the Middle 1st round if we did trade back some. Or even Everette Brown maybe.
UserPostedImage
Rios39
15 years ago
Orakpo is the guy we need. I'd take him 9th.
blank
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

If Orakapo isn't tehre at #9. Would it make sense to try to move down into the middle of round #1 if we can pick up another #2?

"minnypacker" wrote:

I don't think so, simply because moving back from #9 into the late teens isn't a big enough drop back that the Packers could command a 2nd round pick in return.

I still think not as many juniors will declare as people expect, meaning there will be a drop off between the #9 pick and the late teens.

At this point, the only way I see Ted dropping back is if he has a few players rated virtually equally, for example at WR / LB / S. He'll trade back and let the draft work itself out for a bit, and then go get the best value pick of the three positions left.

We need an impact player along the D-Line, no doubt about that. However, with this being a supposedly deep draft of pass-rushing talent, set to get even deeper if a lot of juniors decalre, I think Ted will most definitely find good D-Linemen value picks later on, round 2 onwards.

He won't trade down just to have a shot at a player like BJ Raji, projected in the mid to late teens. Ted is always going to seek value where he picks, and if he thinks he can still get the same value by adding an extra pick, he'll trade back.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

I don't think so, simply because moving back from #9 into the late teens isn't a big enough drop back that the Packers could command a 2nd round pick in return.

I still think not as many juniors will declare as people expect, meaning there will be a drop off between the #9 pick and the late teens.

At this point, the only way I see Ted dropping back is if he has a few players rated virtually equally, for example at WR / LB / S. He'll trade back and let the draft work itself out for a bit, and then go get the best value pick of the three positions left.

We need an impact player along the D-Line, no doubt about that. However, with this being a supposedly deep draft of pass-rushing talent, set to get even deeper if a lot of juniors decalre, I think Ted will most definitely find good D-Linemen value picks later on, round 2 onwards.

He won't trade down just to have a shot at a player like BJ Raji, projected in the mid to late teens. Ted is always going to seek value where he picks, and if he thinks he can still get the same value by adding an extra pick, he'll trade back.

"minnypacker" wrote:

Dropping back to between 16 and 20 would garnish an additional 2nd rounder between the 8 and 23 range according to the value charts. Finding a partner for the trade is more difficult than the numbers though.

I agree that we need an impact player from the #9 pick. And I think there will be a DE, DT or LT that will fit the bill. Any of the three I will be happy with. Using the pick for some other position would be a waste IMO.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dfosterf
15 years ago

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Dropping back to between 16 and 20 would garnish an additional 2nd rounder between the 8 and 23 range according to the value charts. Finding a partner for the trade is more difficult than the numbers though.

I agree that we need an impact player from the #9 pick. And I think there will be a DE, DT or LT that will fit the bill. Any of the three I will be happy with. Using the pick for some other position would be a waste IMO.

"minnypacker" wrote:

A trade back from the 9 hole is ideal. The huge salary hit factor is diminished with a trade partner, coupled with the liklihood that a player that some team lusts after is still "surprisingly" on the board. Trade that baby back! Could get a 1st ,2nd , and a 3rd for that pick, and this is a DEEP draft, contrasted with some truly standout players. The differential between 1st round talent through the 2nd round is up for strong debate this year, and personally, if you start at 9, I can make the argument that there is going to be some outstanding picks in the third round, that is, some picks that MANY presently think are somehow first round talent...mark my words on that (hey, wait a minute, as soon as I hit submit, I think I did, lol

As far as Orakapo goes, I think too many are watching too much NFL Network and/or Maycock. He's good, I got him at 11, so if we do take him at 9, I will only be moderately pissed that Ted Thompson reached for him.

:pottytrain2:
Bigbyfan
15 years ago
If Malcolm Jenkins is availible I would LOVE for us to pick him, but I would not mind trading down to the early to mid-teens especially if we can still get Raji
blank
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
Since Stafford, Bradford, McCoy or Tebow haven't declared at least yet, I have the Lions picking Jenkins at #1. Orakpo will go to the Chiefs at #3. I think we should take either Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher (depends which one is left) if we're looking OT, but Michael Johnson if we're looking DE. That is, if we don't trade down from #9, which I think we should do.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
beast (7h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (8h) : damn those vikings
beast (8h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (8h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (8h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (8h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (15h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (16h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.