earthquake
11 months ago
The late, great Ted Thompson took over as GM of the Packers in 2005 and his first three picks were:

1.24 Aaron Rodgers
2.51 Nick Collins
2.58 Terrance Murphy

At the time, some "experts" thought this was a bad draft. A backup QB and a small school safety that nobody had heard of with his first two picks. Was this guy in over his head?

In retrospect, Rodgers was pretty good. I mean, I'll take Bart Starr if we're talking best all-time Packers QB, but the guy from Chico will be a first-ballot HOFer.

Nick Collins was developing into an all-time great safety when his career was tragically cut short.

But the guy I often think about? Terrance Murphy. I remember he looked good in the preseason, and then had a fluke neck/spine injury when he attempted to recover a Najeh Davenport fumble. He would never play another down. How good could he have been? The 2005 Packers WRs were so bad/injured that they played a guy named Taco, so it's reasonable to assume he could have had a positive impact. Lawrence "Taco" Lasalle Wallace. I think about Taco often too, because I still find his name hilarious.

Had Murphy worked out, might the 2005 Packers team have looked a little better? There's a butterfly effect here of course - if they did, maybe Mike Sherman doesn't get fired. Maybe the Packers never win a Super Bowl with Rodgers and Mike McCarthy. Or who knows, maybe Rodgers wins 3 or 4 with Sherman? Ok, maybe not...

I don't closely follow other NFL teams but it seems like the Packers suffered a rough patch of luck with Murphy, Finley, Collins, and then Sam Sheilds suffering career-ending or threatening neck/spine injuries. It's said that the Packers are conservative with these types of injuries, and I can't blame them, suffering repeated neck injuries is the type of thing that could cause someone to be paralyzed for the rest of their lives. But it makes me wonder how common these injuries are.

Bringing this back to the current state of affairs in Green Bay... Not that it's a particularly unique take, but I predict that Brain Gutekunst's career will be evaluated primarily on his 2020 draft. If Jordan Love is good, or even great, Gutekunst punches his card with Ted Thompson-like tenure, where only degrading health or his desire to move on to another team will see him give up his responsibilities. If Love is just okay, he'll have some wiggle room. If Love sucks, he'll have a short leash, maybe 1 or 2 years to pick a new QB and sort things out.

2005 was also the year the Packers picked up UDFA Samkon Gado, a Nigerian-American otolaryngologist. I had to look it up - an otolaryngologist is a doctor who specializes in head and heck injuries. If only the Packers had Samkon on their medical staff, maybe instead of gashing the Lions for 171 yards he could have sorted out Terrance Murphy, Jermical Finley, Nick Collins, and Sam Sheilds.
blank
Zero2Cool
11 months ago
I feel they were pretty high on Murphy. Really bummed me out what happened to him. Not so much for Packers sake, but more so the human. 
UserPostedImage
beast
11 months ago
Mike Sherman gets fired either way as I believe he was avoiding talking with Ted Thompson out of resentment ... both for taking his job and his control, but also drafting Brett's (his boy) potential replacement.

NIck College was a college CB... not a College S. And I think all teams.knew him after he 205lbs ran a mid 4.3 in the 40... and I believe it was said the Ravens sent the Packers a gift (maybe flowers?) with a sarcastic note, basically congratulations the Packers for taking their pick (S Nick Collins), which Packers had #51 and Ravens had #53.

Also Packers only had #51 as Mike Sherman (I believe as GM) upset CB Mike McKenzie, whom demanded a trade and McKenzie and a 6th rounder for QB JT Sullivan and a 2nd rounder (#51 overall).

Greg Jennings came a year later and looked ready and a Pro from Day 1... WR Murphy (like a lot of the WRs) wasn't ready and needed a lot of development, but of all the WRs that were drafted by Ted Thompson, Murphy looked like he had the more raw potential and highest talent ceiling potential... which is to say something with Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and Davante Adams.

Speaking of which, Adams did not become the #1 WR in the NFL for a while by having the more potential, he did it by completely and totally developing the talents he does have, which most NFL players fail to do and this is the sign of a true an amazing professional in my book. Since most players don't do this, Murphy probably wouldn't have, but if he just developed 80% he might of been a decent starter because his pure talent potential was so high.
​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 months ago
Yeah, Mike Sherman was gone no matter what. I believe Ted Thompson said he felt Sherman lost the locker room.

It was also said the Mike McKenzie ordeal really drained the GM Sherman and that affected the HC Sherman. I believe it was Bob Harlan who stated this as part of his reasoning to split up the duties between two people.

Davante Adams has the talent coming out of college. I don't think it was completely and totally developed in the NFL. I believe it was polished greatly in the NFL. I say this because I was constantly talking about it. And I kept getting verbally abused because the dude would keep dropping the ball and folks were saying WHY THROW TO HIM!! And my response was because he is always getting open! Dude had crazy quick feet that I think he'd be open on 5-7 yard slants all day long no matter what. 

Nick Collins CB in college, didn't remember that. I do remember the Ravens called the Packers saying they got a good one and they were about to take Collins with their next pick.
UserPostedImage
beast
11 months ago

Davante Adams has the talent coming out of college. I don't think it was completely and totally developed in the NFL. I believe it was polished greatly in the NFL.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I believe we saying the same thing, but using the same word(s) with a different meaning creating some confusion.

Adams absolutely had talents before the NFL... what I meant was that I believe other WRs have more ceiling potential than Adams, but Adams polished himself to 100% to maximum the talents he has...

Where guys with more ceiling physical potential talent than him, possible don't even get to 85% of maximizing their talents.

Therefore Adams is better because he's maximized his potential which is actually rare in the NFL, as there is always room for improvement, but with a select group of guys like Adams, I'm not sure he can get better, he's done an amazing job at maximizing his talents! Praise to him for doing something most can't do.
​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 months ago

I believe we saying the same thing, but using the same word(s) with a different meaning creating some confusion.

Adams absolutely had talents before the NFL... what I meant was that I believe other WRs have more ceiling potential than Adams, but Adams polished himself to 100% to maximum the talents he has...

Where guys with more ceiling physical potential talent than him, possible don't even get to 85% of maximizing their talents.

Therefore Adams is better because he's maximized his potential which is actually rare in the NFL, as there is always room for improvement, but with a select group of guys like Adams, I'm not sure he can get better, he's done an amazing job at maximizing his talents! Praise to him for doing something most can't do.​​​​​​

Originally Posted by: beast 

I really have no idea what you said, or what you're saying. I was just saying Adams wasn't completely and totally developed in the NFL. Maybe it's being pedantic, but it came off like he was absolutely raw and without anything when he got drafted in the 2nd round. Obviously, that isn't the case and obviously you'd never infer such a thing. So, really, my comment was useless and pointless.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.