Mucky Tundra
a year ago

Moving down from the 13th overall pick could be the best option that Green Bay has when they’re on the clock.

On Wednesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the Houston Texans are interested in trading down from the 12th overall pick  — the slot one choice ahead of the Green Bay Packers  in the first round — as they’ve struggled to move off of the second overall pick in the 2023 draft. It doesn’t appear that the Texans are the only sellers in the top half of the draft, though.

Per Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, the Philadelphia Eagles  (who own the 10th pick in the draft) and the Packers have both floated the idea of moving back in the draft. Here’s what he had to say about Green Bay , specifically:

Throw the Packers into the pile of teams that would consider moving back tomorrow night, after the Aaron Rodgers trade bumped them up a couple of spots to No. 13. I’ve heard Green Bay linked to both of the top tight ends in the class—Notre Dame ’s Michael Mayer and Utah’s Dalton Kincade—and 13 would probably be a tad high for either of them.

Mock drafts have continued to select Mayer and Kincaid to the Packers  even after the team swapped first-round picks with the New York Jets  through the trade of quarterback Aaron Rodgers, but as Breer notes, it makes little to no sense for Green Bay to go through with the pick swap just to reach on a tight end. For reference, Mayer is ranked as the 21st overall prospect on the consensus draft board  while Kincaid comes in at 27th.

As we’ve mentioned before at Acme Packing Company, three of the four highest-rated prospects that the Packers have brought in on visits this offseason have come at the tight end position . The exception is Tennessee tackle Darnell Wright, who is considered a first-round lock. Based on Green Bay’s visits , it’s likely that the team attempts to draft a tight end somewhere around the 30s (either with a trade up or trade down), looks at the edge rusher market in the second round and dabbles with nickel defenders in the third round.

Put in context with the pick swap with the Jets and the visits that the Packers have brought in, trading down for a tight end (and extra picks) makes a whole lot more sense than simply taking one with the 13th overall pick. This one passes the sniff test.

Continue Reading @ justis.mosqueda 

justis.mosqueda wrote:

Do it Gute! Trade out of the first all together! Get a 2024 1st rounder and four 2nd rounders in this draft and prosper! 

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a year ago
I don't have an issue with GB moving back. Here's the problem, the will need a trading partner that is willing to give up enough value to make it worth their while.

As has been pointed out a number of teams are looking to trade back. Several teams already have. (4 of the top 9 teams already have. Bears at 1 and Carolina at 10 should count double especially since Carolina moved up not down.) Add in the Cleveland/Houston and GB/ NYJ trades, that's a lot of movement. The number of teams willing to climb in is less. They will if they think they are getting a deal. 

It's been said there are only 8-10 quality players in the first round. Are they all gone at 13? If so why move up? There are more than enough players of equal value that can be selected at the back of the first or top of the 3rd.

Then as is mentioned several teams are looking to trade back. Too many teams wanting out and too few teams willing to move up means it is a buyers market not a sellers market.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

It's been said there are only 8-10 quality players in the first round. Are they all gone at 13? If so why move up? There are more than enough players of equal value that can be selected at the back of the first or top of the 3rd.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Wayne does read what I post!!!! Aweeeee.

The more I think about this, the more I ask myself, what the hell does it even mean to be a round one grade player vs round two, etc ... 31 guys gotta get picked in round one so forever they will be known as Round One guys. Do GM's and Scouts assign a point system that matches the Rich Hill Chart's of the world? And only 10-15 guys tallied more than 200 points?

Anyhow, pedantic rant aside here. I'm pretty good with whatever the Packers do because I guess I am a homer who just trusts the professionals know what they are doing more than some halfwit software developer who has too much time on his hands during his work shift.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
a year ago
I don't know. How many chances have the Packers had to get a #13 player in the draft? To trade that away....I don't know if that's smart.
I admit, I don't know much about college players, so I trust the Packers brass to know who is worth whatever number pick they assess to the kids .

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
a year ago
It all depends on how it falls, Alan. This is a tough one at 13
Zero2Cool
a year ago

I don't know. How many chances have the Packers had to get a #13 player in the draft? To trade that away....I don't know if that's smart.
I admit, I don't know much about college players, so I trust the Packers brass to know who is worth whatever number pick they assess to the kids . 

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I am glad you asked! There's a website that has the ENTIRE GREEN BAY PACKERS draft history. I link you to it right HERE  😁

Looks like Packers selected 13th overall just twice. This was way before my time, but I'm guessing this is around the time you getting ready to collect Social Security! 😋😋😍😍😍
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.