beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago

Known best as a returner, Nixon is expected to contribute on defense this upcoming season

Green Bay Packers  head coach Matt LaFleur met with the press in Arizona on Tuesday during the NFL’s owners’ meetings. There, LaFleur spoke candidly about the team’s plan for their 2023 secondary.

LaFleur stated that cornerback Rasul Douglas will remain as an outside corner going into the season and not a safety, where he spent a few practices last summer when a cluster of injuries impacted the Packers’ safety depth. He said that Douglas “is capable of [playing safety],” but that his “best position” is cornerback.

The idea of Douglas playing safety in 2023 has been floated around ever since 2019-2022 starter Adrian Amos hit the open market. It was assumed that Jaire Alexander and 2021 first-round pick Eric Stokes would start at the cornerback position, which would leave Douglas fitting in as either a slot or safety when the group is healthy.

LaFleur also noted that Darnell Savage, who was benched for Rudy Ford for a period of time in 2022, will start at safety. This isn’t a shock, but it’s worth noting that Savage’s $7.9 million cap hit for his exercised fifth-year option remains one of the highest salaries on the team. Green Bay could free up a decent amount of cap space by packaging his salary with a draft pick  to have that number cleared off their books, but, apparently, that’s not in the cards.

Per Packers.com’s Wes Hodkiewicz , the fifth-year head coach also said Green Bay “will give Keisean Nixon every opportunity to lock down the nickel.” Nixon, a First-Team All-Pro kick returner who re-signed on a one-year deal, played over 70 percent of the defensive snaps from Week 12 to Week 15 last year before an injury limited him to returns.

So if Alexander and Douglas are playing outside, Nixon is playing the slot and Savage is playing safety, where does that leave Stokes? According to ESPN’s Rob Demovsky , LaFleur claimed that the Packers are going to play the former first-round pick “as soon as possible,” which Demovsky interpreted as Stokes being a question mark for the start of the regular season. Stokes — who missed most of last season with an ankle injury — has previously been reported by Sports Illustrated’s Bill Huber  as “on track” to practice for the start of training camp in July.

“Eric has had zero setbacks and is ahead of schedule,” a source said. “He plans to be in Green Bay for the offseason program to continue his rehab and training. There is no set timetable for him to be back at 100 percent, but he is not expected to miss any portion of camp.”

To say the least, losing Stokes for a calendar year (or more) would be disappointing.

If LaFleur is being truthful about his secondary, the two things to monitor moving forward are:

Who is going to start at safety opposite of Savage

Stokes’ recovery

If Stokes is healthy, he’s starting as an outside cornerback, meaning either one of Douglas or Nixon will have to move to the bench (Nixon) or the safety position (Douglas.) The question is will Ford be the Week 1 starter next to Savage or will the Packers spend a high draft pick on one of the top safeties in this upcoming draft class ? If the answer is Ford, there’s a better chance of Douglas converting to safety once Stokes is healthy enough to be on the field.

At the end of his conversation in Arizona, LaFleur dropped in a fun tidbit for the Nixon fans out there: They’re working on a package for him on the offensive side of the ball . I guess when you’re averaging 29 yards per return, the team is going to manufacture more ways for you to get the ball in your hand.

Continue Reading @ justis.mosqueda 

justis.mosqueda wrote:

I know Stokes has great speed, but I don't assume he's better than Douglas, Stokes has a lot to learn about limiting errors still.

Also it should be noted, Packers are open to possibly utilizing Nixon on offense, too. 

The All-Pro kick returner joked a few times last season about his desire to possibly get some looks on offense and it may be close to actually happening in 2023. After the Packers re-signed Nixon earlier this month, LaFleur said he'd consider giving the 5-foot-10, 200-pound cornerback a look or two on the offensive side of the ball. Of course, that is contingent on Nixon growing into his role on defense, where he recorded 17 tackles, an interception and forced fumble in a limited role last season.  "Kei', he's a dynamic player," LaFleur said. "I was joking with him, I said, 'Hey, you never know, there might be some opportunities offensively.' And I know he was fired up to hear that. For us, it truly is. If he can handle it, I've got no problem putting him in there in some situations on offense. But got to make sure that we take care of that nickel spot first and foremost and continue to progress as a returner."

UserPostedImage
earthquake
a year ago
Amusingly, when I read the headline I was like, they're gonna play him at slot WR? And then I got to the end of the article. Makes sense, give it a go!
blank
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago

Amusingly, when I read the headline I was like, they're gonna play him at slot WR? And then I got to the end of the article. Makes sense, give it a go!

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

If they use him on offense, my first thought is using him on end arounds, when he would start as an outside WR and run to the QB to take a handoff or short pass and keep on running which is basically returner like.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (6h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (7h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (10h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (10h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
43m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.