Zero2Cool
a year ago
Something I was bouncing around between my ears the other day. Davante Adams is an All-Pro talent at WR. Yeah, Packers won handful of games without Adams while he was out during his Packers tenure. However, what if Adams covered up a lot of the falling off of Rodgers? 

Adams was drafted in 2014 and we can say Rodgers was in the middle of his prime there. We can also say that Rodgers helped make Adams into the All-Pro talent he is. 

Sure, the Packers picking the eventual heir to the throne lit a fire under Aaron Rodgers ass. We all agree on that. But the Packers went from being damn near historically successful in the red zone to one of the worst in the NFL after his departure. 

2020 149 targets and 2021 169 targets and that's 115 and 123 receptions respectively. That's basically your safety blanket. Something Rodgers doesn't have anymore and then threw 2nd most interceptions in his career.

My question is ... can we say Adams made Rodgers the MVP during 2020 and 2021? 
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
a year ago
He certainly helped, yes. But I don’t think he “made” Rodgers the MVP. Rodgers was playing with rookies with 0 experience this year along with a few veterans who are #3-5 type receivers. He went from having an all pro to having basically nothing for most of the season. There’s your cause for drop off. 

Another huge cause of the drop off was the OL. They were playing musical chairs for the first half of the season, and Bakh was in & out every other week. Last 2 years they had a solid OL. Not so much this year.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
a year ago
Well I say looks at the stats and who had the drop off?  Rodgers dropped way off of his stats and Adams continued putting up the same stats. 1516 yards and 14 TDs (2nd most of his career) with a QB that got benched the final 2 games of the year. Watch highlights from the past 2 years and you can see how Rodgers would make bad throws and Adams would bail him out. But as I have said many times the past 2 years that Adams was ruining Rodgers because he was doing the same exact thing Favre did with Sharpe, when in doubt throw it to 17 even if he is tripled covered. I believe Favre got better when he lost Sharpe because he started to depend on the other guys and spread it around more and learned to read defenses. I think it was just the opposite for Rodgers as when he took over we were 4 and 5 deep at the Wr position and it went down to just the one.

So yes I believe Adams made Rodgers look good the past 2 seasons as  I still don't think he deserved the MVP as we know thats just a popularity contest. An MVP doesn't drop off that bad by losing one receiver as they are suppose to make others look better. Age is a game you can't win and I think time has caught up to Rodgers.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Well I say looks at the stats and who had the drop off?  Rodgers dropped way off of his stats and Adams continued putting up the same stats. 1516 yards and 14 TDs (2nd most of his career) with a QB that got benched the final 2 games of the year. Watch highlights from the past 2 years and you can see how Rodgers would make bad throws and Adams would bail him out. But as I have said many times the past 2 years that Adams was ruining Rodgers because he was doing the same exact thing Favre did with Sharpe, when in doubt throw it to 17 even if he is tripled covered. I believe Favre got better when he lost Sharpe because he started to depend on the other guys and spread it around more and learned to read defenses. I think it was just the opposite for Rodgers as when he took over we were 4 and 5 deep at the Wr position and it went down to just the one.

So yes I believe Adams made Rodgers look good the past 2 seasons as  I still don't think he deserved the MVP as we know thats just a popularity contest. An MVP doesn't drop off that bad by losing one receiver as they are suppose to make others look better. Age is a game you can't win and I think time has caught up to Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

MVP is not the Pro Bowl. It's good to know and understand the difference. Pro Bowl is popularity, literally it's voted in part by the public. MVP is voted by 50 or something reporters. And with the stance that Rodgers had about a certain issue we all lived through, it's incredible he won. And if you're gonna say someone didn't deserve it, you damn well better provide a list of those who should.  I don't mean YOU specifically, it's just super annoying when someone says cowardly crap like that "X doesn't deserve" and doesn't have the balls to put someone in their place. Even more annoying is when someone says X was snubbed but they don't have the balls to say who should be removed. You gotta subtract if you add, and you gotta add if you subtract. There must be balance otherwise the aliens will never stay long enough to give us the cool shit. 

Okay, silliness aside. Your point about Rodgers stats and Adams stats in 2022 is what adds credence to this theory.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
a year ago
Ok in 2020 Tom Brady put up better numbers with a team that didn't make the playoffs the year before, and last year Josh Allen deserved it as he improved the Bills greatly. Also Joe Burrow could be in last years conversation as he brought the Bengals to the big game with a team that sucked the year before. So I will put some names out there for you. But like you state its MVP and yes popularity among writers still count. Steven A Smith thinks Rodgers is the best thing since slice bread. Just like people claiming Rodgers is better than Brady but there are no stats to prove any of it.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
a year ago

Ok in 2020 Tom Brady put up better numbers with a team that didn't make the playoffs the year before, and last year Josh Allen deserved it as he improved the Bills greatly. Also Joe Burrow could be in last years conversation as he brought the Bengals to the big game with a team that sucked the year before. So I will put some names out there for you. But like you state its MVP and yes popularity among writers still count. Steven A Smith thinks Rodgers is the best thing since slice bread. Just like people claiming Rodgers is better than Brady but there are no stats to prove any of it.

There's plenty of stats to prove it but the only argument people make are RINGS which is a team accomplishment. I'd take prime Rodgers over Brady any day. Ill take Prime Marino as well. There are plenty of QBs who were better but just weren't as accomplished due to the teams they were on. Prime Rodgers was carrying a team with a crappy defense and coach. If he had a solid defense and coach, he wins multiple rings in his prime. The problem with Rodgers during his years wasn't that he was a choker or stat padder, he just put a lot of GB teams in the post season that didnt belong. From 2010 - 2016, I'll take Rodgers during those years over any era/team Brady was in
dyeah_gb
a year ago
Adams definitely helped Rodgers during his MVP years but Rodgers consistency with accurate throws seriously fell off a cliff this year as well, especially in the final game.  The drops didnt help either.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Zero2Cool
a year ago

I like this! I think it might spawn a whole different discussion as to what is a MVP? 

As for Stephen A Smith. I don't watch him. I did see a clip of him on Pat McAfee and a second one where he just railed Rodgers up and down. 
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
a year ago
I think one area not having Adams around that hurt was in short yard situations. 3rd & 2 with Adams one on one? CB would be toast and a first down pickup. 
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
a year ago
All those veteran WRs made Davante what he was. The standard was high. It's like when Jerry Rice went to the Niners. He had guys like Ronnie Lott looking at him in practice every day. Had no choice but to be the best of all time.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
beast (38m) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (39m) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (17h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (18h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (21h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (21h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.