wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
a year ago

The Dallas Cowboys lost left tackle Tyron Smith to a hamstring injury on Wednesday, which could provide general manager Brian Gutekunst with an opportunity.

On Wednesday, the Dallas Cowboys  lost left tackle Tyron Smith to a hamstring injury in practice that, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter , “could cost him multiple months of the 2022 season.” That Smith injury could be the catalyst for the Green Bay Packers  to make a move out of left field: trading backup left tackle Yosh Nijman.

The Cowboys have posted an 18-15 record under former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, so far without a postseason win. Jerry Jones, Dallas’ hands-on owner, isn’t getting any younger and the pressure and expectation to win with quarterback Dak Prescott — who has missed games or played through injury for the better part of the last two seasons — is very real. Going into 2022, the Cowboys are the returning NFC East favorites, followed by the Philadelphia Eagles  who earned the seventh seed in the NFC last year.

Mind you, this is the same Cowboys team that already lost right tackle La’el Collins — who had started 71 games for them since 2015 — as a cap casualty this offseason. Dallas was desperate enough for offensive line depth in the spring that they drafted Tyler Smith out of Tulsa in the first round to play left guard.

If you’re going to create a situation where a team ponies up the draft capital to trade for a high-level swing tackle like Nijman, it’s hard to think of a more perfect scenario than an All-Pro left tackle going down for a team in an offensive line transition with high expectations. When rumors about Sean Payton taking the Cowboys job next season  are already swirling around, McCarthy and company can’t afford to sit back and just hope that they have built up enough offensive line depth to win a playoff game with three new full-time starters up front.

On the flip side, from the Packers’ perspective, what’s the point of versatility if you’re not going to use it? When their offensive line is healthier than it is now, Green Bay has options at left tackle beyond Nijman, as David Bakhtiari and Elgton Jenkins have starting experience at the position and fourth-round rookie Zach Tom has taken reps at all four non-center positions this summer.

Sure, Bakhtiari and Jenkins have yet to practice in team drills so far during their rehab process, but they were activated off of the physically unable to perform list  and the roster is constructed in a way that demands at least one of them will be healthy enough to suit up in Week 1. Assuming that the Packers are going to roster nine offensive linemen, which is likely the case following the trade of Cole Van Lanen to the  Jacksonville Jaguars  earlier this week, Green Bay would only have seven offensive linemen active in Week 1 if Bakhtiari and Jenkins don’t get the green light to play.

There’s just no way that the team will go into their regular season opener three injuries away from tight end Marcedes Lewis playing an offensive line position mid-game. This nightmare scenario happened in 2014 when the Atlanta Falcons  rostered just seven offensive linemen for a game and had to use tight end Levine Toilolo as a tackle  after three in-game injuries. The team needs to go into games with at least eight guys suited up to play, meaning at least one of Bakhtiari or Jenkins will have to go in Week 1 for the Packers’ current roster construction to work out. If that’s the case, Nijman likely wouldn’t be the starting left tackle for the team in the opener anyway.

If Nijman, who started half the season at left tackle last year as an injury placement for Jenkins who was an injury replacement for Bakhtiari, is traded then the most likely candidate to be Green Bay’s ninth offensive lineman to make the team is Caleb Jones — an undrafted rookie who has been playing left tackle on the second-team offense this preseason. Jones’ father also owns a soul food restaurant in Indianapolis that’s worth a visit .

According to OverTheCap , the Cowboys are currently on pace to be $5 million over the NFL’s salary cap in 2023. This should make Nijman’s prospects even more enticing for Dallas, as he’s currently playing on a $965,000, one-year exclusive rights free agent tender and whoever holds his negotiating rights in the 2023 offseason has an opportunity to place a second-round tender on him via the restricted free agent process that should see him earn about $3.5 million on another one-year deal.

While it would have to come at the right cost, likely a third- or fourth-round pick, it’s worth thinking about Nijman as a player who could potentially be moved ahead of the league-wide cutdown to 53-man rosters on August 30th. Teams usually don’t have four tackles the way the Packers do right now and don’t need a left tackle like Nijman as bad as the Cowboys do following the injury to Smith, which could open doors that previously were thought to be closed.

Continue Reading @ justis.mosqueda 

justis.mosqueda wrote:

There are probably more reasons not to trade Yosh but if they get a 3rd in return it would be tempting.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
a year ago
Reasons for no:
Weakens OL depth
Improves the hated 'boys
Takes away a cap friendly player when Bak might not be affordable or even physically able next year.
No guarantee Toms or Rhyan will be able to play at a high level in the future.

Yes:
Good value by trading Yosh when his value is high.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
a year ago
Not just no, but hell no. We have no idea how Bak’s knee is going to hold up. He’s been “back” a couple times and then his knee flares up again. Injuries happen all the time on the OL, keep him. Bad move to trade him, unless they give up a 1st or 2nd rounder, which I seriously doubt.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago
Nijman is our third option, but he has versatility, can play L or R. Reliable swing tackle, that's pretty good value.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
a year ago
I don't want to trade him, as we don't know if Bakhtiari or Jenkins are healthy...

But if the scouts know they are, and Cowboys offering a 3rd round pick, I'm taking the 3rd round pick...

And maybe even resigning Nijman after the Cowboys fire McCarthy and Nijman in the off-season.

Nijman got benched in the playoff game... and McCarthy's scheme puts a lot more pressure on the OL in pass protection.

And Sean Peyton left the Saints reported to take a year off so he could sign with someone... and no one has chased Peyton longer or harder than Jerry Jones.

I don't think Nijman would fix the Cowboys problems, and I think losing him would hurt the Packers, but if Bakhtiari and Jenkins are healthy enough to play, then a 3rd round pick might be worth going with Tom as the OT backup. Though ideally, we would of still had Van Lanen.

Of course, if they're willing to offer a 3rd for Nijman, how much are they willing to offer for Bakhtiari? Just asking... doesn't hurt to ask... but if it's a 1st round pick or more, you might have to listen to that as well, as it might be a high 3rd or high 1st pick whichever you're getting from the Cowboys. Probably not, as the division sucks, but McCarthy system falls apart without an OL, and Prescott could be injured again.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
a year ago
Nah, whatever low-round pick you're gonna get for a guy like Nijman isn't worth losing an LT on a cheap contract that can start and has gotten better every year he's been in the league. Too much upside still.
blank
Mucky Tundra
a year ago
With a friendly contract, ability to tender him as a RFA next offseason and Bakh+Jenkins health still in the air, it doesn't seem like a good time to deal him.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
a year ago
I do think Tom is gonna be exceptional tho. He's gonna be like Jenkins.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
earthquake
a year ago

I do think Tom is gonna be exceptional tho. He's gonna be like Jenkins.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I wouldn't bet against Tom doing well. But with Jenkins and Bahktari coming off of injuries, and no Billy Turner or other known quantity sort of veteran ready to play tackle, I think Nijman occupies a critical role.
blank
dfosterf
a year ago
No for all the reasons posted by everyone else. I like yosh. My only yes to trading him would be a trade with the Raiders for Darren Waller. The problems with that are cap hit, the aforementioned risk on the offensive line, if the Raiders need for a tackle is as severe as some seem to think...Its a Longshot, but I wouldn't be opposed to them pulling that particular trade off vs. this Cowboys one, perhaps throwing in that 7th we got for Van Lanen. Just idly speculating, with a full understanding of just how risky trading away Nijman would be for us right about now.
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (2h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (19h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (19h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (23h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (23h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.